Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Brumby motor swap

Hey guys, how hard would it be to fit a efi ej18 into a Brumby, bolting up to standard gearbox using one of isnowi adaptors. I know anything is possible with enough jiggery boo but as its my run about I dont want it of the road for months, hopefully only a weekend. Would brakes need to be upgraded? I use it to haul my dirt bike around so want to keep the dual range box as moto x parks get muddy in winter and 4wd is awesome for passing all the sacked out Hilux's stuck in the mud. Has anyone done this conversion before? Anything I need to keep an eye out for if I go ahead? Any info greatly appricated, cheers.

Guest keltik

Hey buddy, its a piece of cake to put the engine in.

Step 1: Widen the engine mounting holes in the crossmember about an inch.

Step 2: put engine in

Step 3: use a EA81 flywheel re-drilled to fit the EJ crank

Step 4: use adaptor plate to fit gearbox

Step 5: replace fuel pump with one from a 4WD Leone turbo

Step 6: run some new fuel lines and run a lot of wiring

Step 7: Make up some custom rad hoses

Step 8: Bolt the EA81 alternator onto the EJ mounting point - machine the pulley from the EJ alt to fit the EA one.

Step 9: Do big burnouts.

Step 10: profit?

My swap is a fair bit easier because im just using the EJ flywheel and gearbox. So i dont need to worry about an adaptor plate. Im also using a carb and distributor set up so i wont have to change the fuel pump or lines or run any wires.

A well tuned EA81 with a weber or a EA82 SPFI setup fitted to it is probably a better motor than a carbed EJ18...so Id definately go with EFI if you wanted the EJ18. The only reason its worth it for me is because i have a EJ22.

Seriously though - if you want a wicked write up - look no further than here: http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/EA2EJ.pdf

Haha love the "do big burnouts", tried some 4wd type launches the other weekend, don't think the rear diff liked it much. I was just wondering what was involved as when I have a couple of bikes on the back and the gear that goes with it I start to almost roll backwards at the sight of a hill, I understand the ea81 is no powerhouse and with 337000 km on my motor it getting a bit tired hence the idea of swapping it with a ej, what is this ea82 spfi setup you speak of? Sounds interesting, obviously I would love to do the whole wrx running gear swap but its a bit to much at the moment so was looking at alternatives. Will read through that write up and see what the go is, cheers.

337000 km thats just run in lol :D Seen the EA81 last between 500,000km to 1,000,000 Kms... Saying that most have the body die before they get to those kms.

Alot of people dont relise you shouldnt use 4wd on the Tarmac.

I had a guy come look at my brumby and after I told him that. He told me that must had been why he blown the gearbox ::)

Guest keltik

The EA81 SPFI swap is quite popular in the states. You take a EA82 single point fuel injection manifold and put it onto the EA81. Then you get the power and fuel economy benefits of a EFI motor and the reliability and torque benefits of your EA81.

Search for user "General Disorder" on the ultimate subaru message board. www.ultimatesubaru.org

He is the main man when it comes to the SPFI swap as he pretty much invented it.

With a re-ground cam, some light reconditioning (fit some EA71 pistons into your block to get a higher compression motor) and a SPFI on your EA81 - you wont be far off the power of the EJ18. AND you wont have a cam belt or adaptor plate to worry about.

As you can see - the EJ swap requires a fair bit of thought and a cert. I wouldnt bother doing it unless you had big plans for the brumby. The souped-up EA81 will do a very nice job and everything will fit without modification.

Remember, for the price of an EJ motor and adaptor plate and cert....You could be putting new EA71 pistons and rings in your EA81, new oil and water pump, fit an SPFI setup and get basically a new motor which will run for another 300,000kms

DRFVDR said:

and then fit a sc12 supercharger with a suck thru carbie and mmmmmmmm

LOL

On a more serious note, ej18 is a pretty weak motor, ok it may be better than a stock high mileage ea81, but for the cost and effort of swapping it the advantages are really not worth it.

isnowi']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

and then fit a sc12 supercharger with a suck thru carbie and mmmmmmmm

/quote] LOL

On a more serious note, ej18 is a pretty weak motor, ok it may be better than a stock high mileage ea81, but for the cost and effort of swapping it the advantages are really not worth it.

my spfi EJ18 Legacy is on 330,000+kms and still going strong. It loves to rev :P

Guest keltik

Yeah with the high comp pistons, SPFI and a cam, you should be getting near the power of the EJ18 for half the cost ;)

Agreed, thanks for all the advice guys, my arm has been twisted so I will start trying to track down parts for the conversion to SPFI. Does anyone know where I can buy some EA71 pistons? Am I able to get them new? What cars did the SPFI come on so I can keep an eye out for a donor car?? Once again thanks heaps for the advice lads

I prefer MPFI. There are some of the EA82 Omega shape that did come with SPFI but not that common I think?

SPFI is more common in the states.

Maybe you could use SPFI of a 1.8L Legacy? Fuel eccommony is not that great tho.

Parts for the EA71 is getting a bit hard to get now. Of you look around you maybe able to find some.

Guest boostcut
 spuddling aka IMPRZF said:

sounds good, I'm seriously looking at the spfi setup, makes for a good read and sounds fairly straight forward. Just have to track down some front callapiers first so I can get a warrrent then I'm into finding the nessacery parts.... and a sc12, haha

front calipers are the least of your worries for a wof mate. try a cert and a decent job of the conversion for a wof.

Guest keltik

SPFI is simpler to wire for, and no you shouldnt need a cert as your retaining the stock engine and simple adding a factory optioned part....and not increasing the horsepower to ludicrous levels

isnowi said:

Technically you will need a cert though i doubt anyone would pull you up on it.

As far as lvvta is concerned changing the aspiration method (carb to injected) needs to be certed.

true enough EXCEPT the WOF tester has to realise it has had a change,best way around this is to make it all look factory,make sure wiring loom is all taped and clipped

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Missed out on the gearbox so will have to keep my eye out for another. Went for a ride in a early 80's Brumby this morning, the thing f***in hauled. Had EA81 with 71 pistons, EI dizzy off a EA82, bigger secondary jet, 1.5kg off the flywheel and a 2.5" straight through exhaust, was rough as guts but could'nt get over how well it went. Went off the clock down the Matata straight. The guy said he did all the work in a weekend and it's run mint ever since he done it. Anyone else done this or has the parts lying around to sell???