Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

20TT turbo lagg

Ok i apologize in advance i know this has probably been brought up before but i can't find any info on the net about it.

Is there a way I can stop or reduce the "turbo lag" between 4-5k revs when the second turbo kicks in.

I wouldn't really describe it as turbo lag more like congestion, it seems to back itself up until it sorts itself out again.

If someone could point me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Ash.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put a pod filter on mine and it helped heaps... i was surprised, as i have been taught all the physics as to how a standard pord filter without a cold air box does stuff all.... but i guess its the increased flow that outweighs the amount of hot air its sucking in

Yep, the zerosports sequential controller is really your best bet to controlling it to how you want it. The ZS controller simply allows you to change 2 values. The crossover point, the RPM at which it switches from primary turbo, to both turbo's. And the return point, at which RPM it drops back to single turbo. By setting it higher you can avoid VOD for longer, and the higher RPM helps spool the secondary faster. It won't let you set the TT point lower than 3000RPM btw, so you can't trick it into being a parralell setup. Not that you'd want to...

The only thing better than a ZS contrtoller IMHO is a single conversion. But that's me, not everyone agrees that TT is a bucket of fail.

ReubenH said:

Yep, the zerosports sequential controller is really your best bet to controlling it to how you want it. The ZS controller simply allows you to change 2 values. The crossover point, the RPM at which it switches from primary turbo, to both turbo's. And the return point, at which RPM it drops back to single turbo. By setting it higher you can avoid VOD for longer, and the higher RPM helps spool the secondary faster. It won't let you set the TT point lower than 3000RPM btw, so you can't trick it into being a parralell setup. Not that you'd want to...

The only thing better than a ZS contrtoller IMHO is a single conversion. But that's me, not everyone agrees that TT is a bucket of fail.

after putting the controller in mine it was much better but then ruben let me have a drive of his and Id have to say single is the way to go to get rid of vod i still run my controller to this date cant be bothered with the single conversion to be honest

I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, I can go single turbo conversion for another 3 years due to the warranty, but I could install a zerosport controller without them being and wiser,

I can also change the intake, HKS make and awsome bolt on kit with a 5" stainless intake pipe, hiflo pod and a air box for the B4,

Its alot of work but it's worth it, considering i have to covert it back to standart every 5.000k to get it serviced.

Oh the things we do for our boxers.

mate, just a few dollars at plumbing world and some good planning will get you as good results as any aftermarket intake. Mine sucks air from just behind the fog light/cornering lamp through a large diameter drain pipe which is connected to another, smaller piece of drain pipe via a big-small drain pipe adapter thing. lol.

The small bit is a perfect fit for fitting inside the airbox where the snorkle normally goes. This gave me instant gains on spool up on primary and had a small positive effect on vod. will take pics over the next day or two to clarify.

The next step was a ZS sequential controller. Best investment i ever made! i now have next to NO vod and get a good punch in the back at around 4800.

Only complaint i have is that i need to be in third to really exploit it, and thats bye bye car material if in the wrong place at the wrong time kind of deal... :-X

Yeah, that's the thing with the TT. I was normally right into the redline before changing when going for it. Little wonder the GTB's blow big ends early on in life when you have to rape it to get any power.

The upshot i found with the ZS controller was the extra room you have with the primary. 4000rpm was just too soon to switch, i'd normally shift around 4000-4500 when just cruising. Before the ZS controller i was constantly hitting VOD. After, i didn't know i had a TT pretty much.

• General Member
 Joker said:

OR Zero sports Sequential turbo controller OR Apexi-AVC-r ( Electronic Boost controller) are very good at controlling switch over

OR Both for an even better result

both available from Club Sponsor www.41.co.nz

www.41.co.nz

or to be alot more specific:

http://www.fortyone.co.nz/parts/show/799/Zerosports/Sequential%20Controller.html

VOD is really not an issue in my '02 GTB E-tune, unless a gearchange drops revs into that zone while on part throttle (which is easy to avoid). Moving through the changeover on full throttle you wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking for it.

Changing at ~6500rpm (peak power) drops the revs to ~5000rpm (peak torque) and actually gives better performance than winding the revs right out.

Im a GTB owner and I have to say I think your best option if you have a problem with the TT is to get rid of the car. If it is something that you dont like, all the fixes mentioned are bandaids only and add more expense to the car without increasing its resale value. Particularly the single conversion. Its a great way to get more power, however its still in a heavy chassis and will most likely reduce the value of the car to the average joe, especially if you do it in your back yard and have no receipts for the work!

You are better off upgrading to a WRX (which wont have as much top end power compared to a B4) or ideally an STi. As lets face it, these days a later model GC8 is getting fairly cheap and a Version 7 STi is dirt cheap now.

However I should quantify: You should look at what you want from a car - are you after something practical with a bit of go? If so, a GTB/B4 is probably fine. However if you want something that you can give a hard time on a regular basis and expect it to perform well - you are much better off upgrading to an STi. They are a better car in every way if you are after a performance car. They are even more fuel economic from memory!

And yes I know this is only my opinion, but it comes from owning one for over 2 years and spending a god awful amount of money repairing it as a result of the fact these cars are not made to be abused the same as a GC8 etc.

Munkvy said:

However I should quantify: You should look at what you want from a car - are you after something practical with a bit of go? If so, a GTB/B4 is probably fine. However if you want something that you can give a hard time on a regular basis and expect it to perform well - you are much better off upgrading to an STi. They are a better car in every way if you are after a performance car. They are even more fuel economic from memory!

From the figures I've seen an STi is significantly thirstier than an RSK/GTB - I average about 10.5L/100k in my GTB and have had 8.7 from it on long open-road trips without driving that conservatively.

However I'd agree that if you give them death all the time they probably will cost you more, being heavier with more compicated bits to go wrong.

Personally I have a cheap MX5 for thrashing and the GTB is my nice sensible car which only gets properly caned occasionally.

Yes, my v7 STi was much thirstier than my B4.

I also agree that the WRX Sti or no is the car for serious caning but the Legacy is a great drivers car

and its very frustrating having such a large hole in the midrange, exactly where a turbo engine should be really entertaining!

I have heard that certain mods to the exhaust can help but is there any issue with the turbos running too much boost if the exhaust is extensively modified?

I'm certainly going to look into a better air intake and have been told to be fussy with plug gaps, maybe reduce the gap .1mm.

... and also the 'box of death'(?!) where a whole heap of vacuum hoses go... is that still

applicable in the newer TT legs?

madandy said:

Yes, my v7 STi was much thirstier than my B4.

I also agree that the WRX Sti or no is the car for serious caning but the Legacy is a great drivers car

and its very frustrating having such a large hole in the midrange, exactly where a turbo engine should be really entertaining!

I have heard that certain mods to the exhaust can help but is there any issue with the turbos running too much boost if the exhaust is extensively modified?

I'm certainly going to look into a better air intake and have been told to be fussy with plug gaps, maybe reduce the gap .1mm.

... and also the 'box of death'(?!) where a whole heap of vacuum hoses go... is that still

applicable in the newer TT legs?

Black Box of Doom. Attached to the drivers side strut tower. It contains acres of vacum hosing and a number of solenoids - i Forget how many. Mine is currently causing me no end of consternation!

Oh dear...have you messed with it, is it faulty or is it just too damn confusing?

I'm liking the sound of these electronic controllers but keen to try some intake & exhaust basics first to feel the results before diving head first into wiring torment.

I too like the sound of the Controller, but theres that whole issue of $$$, even though it does technically grow on trees i still don't have enough lol.

I'm going to make an intake pipe with a pod filter and cold air box, an then save up some money and get a full exhaust. Then look at the controller, they don't come along second hand very often.

Looking the the 41 website, do i need to buy the controller and the harness?