Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Suitable Oils

Swindog

Using Castrol as an example

SUBARU

Impreza WRX STi, 2.0 Litre Turbo Eng., 4WD (1998-2002)

Crankcase

CASTROL MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL A3 10W-30 or CASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30

Service Refill Capacity: 4.5* Litres (See Note 759)

Manual Transmission

CASTROL MULTITRAX or CASTROL SYNTRAX 75W-90

Service Refill Capacity: 4.0 Litres (See Note 176)

Automatic Transmission

CASTROL TQ-DIII

Service Refill Capacity: 9.3 Litres (See Note 12)

Differential

CASTROL EPX 80W-90 or CASTROL SYNTRAX 75W-90

Service Refill Capacity: 1.2 Litres (See Note 132)

Power Steering

CASTROL TQ-DIII

4WD Differential

CASTROL MULTITRAX or CASTROL SYNTRAX 75W-90

Service Refill Capacity: 0.8 Litres (See Note 453, 115)

Notes

* Includes Oil Filter

12 Dry fill capacity shown, fill only to full mark.

115 Rear differential.

132 Separate differential only with automatic transmission.

176 Consistently above 0 deg. C, may also use CASTROL EPX 80W-90.

453 May also use CASTROL EPX 80W-90.

759 For severe use or racing, refer Castrol Technical Department.

Can also go here - http://ew5.earlweb.com/search.php?site=1&sector=1&category=6&subset=271

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoffa said:

I wouldn't use ANYTHING *W30

+1, thats thin. wont get into an aregument hea lol but i def dont and wouldnt use 30 weight oil in my subaru

(definitly like castrol and thats all I use tho so not hating on them at all)

same, I ran Edge 10w60 in my old engine and the guy who ported my heads was supprised with how little wear I had on my lifter buckets. He said to make sure I keep using the same stuff.

It'll be going into my new engine too.

A VERY simple explaination is...

The first number is how the oil behaves when cold (lower number is thinner so moves through engine better when cold)

The number after the W is how stable the oil at higher temps, most people recommed at least 10w40.

Stoffa said:

I wouldn't use ANYTHING *W30

a) depends on the clearances in the engine (if you have an engine with tight tolerances, you'll get higher pressures and lower flowrate of oil through the bearings with thicker oils (i.e. hotter oil). 50 and 60 weigh oils are good if your tolerances have been loosened up when rebuilt as most high perf rebuilders will do)

b) depends on the normal use of the engine (does the engine always need to dissapate alot of heat or is it just used for short trips to and from work?)

c) isn't that the recommended thickness of oil for all the engines with VVTi (or whatever Subaru call it).

Stoffa said:

same, I ran Edge 10w60 in my old engine and the guy who ported my heads was supprised with how little wear I had on my lifter buckets. He said to make sure I keep using the same stuff.

It'll be going into my new engine too.

A VERY simple explaination is...

The first number is how the oil behaves when cold (lower number is thinner so moves through engine better when cold)

The number after the W is how stable the oil at higher temps, most people recommed at least 10w40.

Edge 10-60 is all i run all day every day and motor gets a hard life with no issues. STI actually makes a sports oil & guess what it is 10w60. thats enough for me to validate my choice lol and hasnt let me down yet.

Swindog said:

I did ring Subaru and they looked it up. Castrol 5-30 is what is recommended by the manufactorer and listed under the warranty on new cars.

as KOOM said yeah with a BRAND new 0kms NEW motor (not rebuilt) and then up to what ever theyr warenteed to from new?? id probably be more inclined to run a thiner oil but how many of us havr thoes lol??! ::)

Swindog said:

I run 5-30 at the moment and seems fine. Mind you im swapping from a mineral oil to fully synthetic. So im using it as a swap over medium PLUS im in Invercargill and it tends to get rather cold

correct about the climate lol and yes soes play a part un required oil I agree. Only time will tell but then you cant necessarly blame the oil because it popd lol

GC8E2DD said:

As a general rule, the further apart the numbers, the more additives, the shorter the oil's lifespan.

dads m5 ran castrol tws motorsport 10w 60, pretty much castrol edge. ran 17 000 k intervals...

GC8E2DD said:

I wouldn't do that unless the car only ever pootled along in traffic for 17,000kms.

its what BMW recommends, mind you it held 9.2 litres of oil. It didnt get putted around ;) napier taupo road

i have a customer that drives a late model bmw, he swears by doing 30,000kms intervals, everytime we service it we have to pull his cartridge oil filter out in little pieces with long nose pliers cause it disintegrates.

but hey he thinks he knows best lol.

driftrex said:

i have a customer that drives a late model bmw, he swears by doing 30,000kms intervals, everytime we service it we have to pull his cartridge oil filter out in little pieces with long nose pliers cause it disintegrates.

but hey he thinks he knows best lol.

hmmm maybe not that long ha. the new 3 litre turbo diesel bmw engines run 30 000k intervals. pretty incredible really.

Thrashing a car for 17,000kms on 10w 60 just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Just goes to show the old "Always serviced as per manufacturers guidelines at recommended intervals" claim is no assurance at all when buying a second hand car.

Guest DMSREX
 Swindog said:

I did ring Subaru and they looked it up. Castrol 5-30 is what is recommended by the manufactorer and listed under the warranty on new cars.

Interesting the owners manual for my MY99 specifically warns against using 5W30 for "high speed driving" By new don't think they mean the GC GF series cars. I use10w50 Penrite semi synth now it works.

DMSREX']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

Interesting the owners manual for my MY99 specifically warns against using 5W30 for "high speed driving" By new don't think they mean the GC GF series cars. I use10w50 Penrite semi synth now it works.

yea mins got 5w 30 from subaru in it atm. done 5000ks. ive got some castrol edge 0w 40 waiting to put in it, might do it in the next few days

555v7sti']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

As a general rule, the further apart the numbers, the more additives, the shorter the oil's lifespan.

/quote]

dads m5 ran castrol tws motorsport 10w 60, pretty much castrol edge. ran 17 000 k intervals...

What year M5???

The olds M3 and M5 have never been that far apart on services, I believe BMW recommends 12 500Km service intervals (even with SII thingy may take longer the oil will break down and you will void your warranty - have a read of the t's n c's...), and if the car has only been used for short distance running it drops to 4000Km service intervals... because the oil will be dead by then, especially if you live and drive in cold climates like NZ...

subieboy']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

/quote]

What year M5???

The olds M3 and M5 have never been that far apart on services, I believe BMW recommends 12 500Km service intervals (even with SII thingy may take longer the oil will break down and you will void your warranty - have a read of the t's n c's...), and if the car has only been used for short distance running it drops to 4000Km service intervals... because the oil will be dead by then, especially if you live and drive in cold climates like NZ...

it was a 2005- v10 one. we've sold it though. it was used on the open road a lot. did 80 000 in 5 years.