Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Suitable Oils

Swindog

suubyduuby said:

Currently have been using Shell Helix Ultra 10W/40 semi-synth, but considering moving to Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40 full synth.

Car is a BP JDM 2.0GT LGT. Any thoughts on this?

Let me know how you get on with this, I sent my car for service and they used United10W-40 apparently its recommended by Subaru :-\

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evowrx said:

I would recommend you use a different garage next time. If theyre buying the cheapest oil they can find it doesnt say a lot for the way they care for customers vehicles.

Yeah kinda sucks checked my receipt too as they are reputable guys, maybe they keep the good stuff for the STI\'s :-\

allycat']

[quote name='evowrx said:

I would recommend you use a different garage next time. If theyre buying the cheapest oil they can find it doesnt say a lot for the way they care for customers vehicles.

/quote]

Yeah kinda sucks checked my receipt too as they are reputable guys, maybe they keep the good stuff for the STI\'s :-\

I would highly doubt it.

Just to clarify Im not saying its not up to spec or product bashing just that its cheapcheap oil and it says something about the garage/owner imo.

• 1 month later...

Wow what a thread ..

Oil gets thicker when hotter, oh aye.

Just to spark again. \'01 Legacy E-Tune, 135,000 k\'s, I run PENRITE FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W-40.

Hows that?

Reason I\'m sparking up is I\'ve nearly put on 5,000 k\'s since purchasing the car and doing a change, so almost that time again!

Ledge` said:

Wow what a thread ..

Just to spark again. \'01 Legacy E-Tune, 135,000 k\'s, I run PENRITE FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W-40.

Hows that?

Reason I\'m sparking up is I\'ve nearly put on 5,000 k\'s since purchasing the car and doing a change, so almost that time again!

car over 100K?......Up the weight to 10/40 ;) ;) I would..Others will say No F***in way! What ever!

titian']

[quote name='Ledge` said:

Wow what a thread ..

Hows that?

/quote] car over 100K?......Up the weight to 10/40 ;) ;) I would..Others will say No F***in way! What ever!

I\'m not going to be a w*nker and ask why. But thanks for you\'r opinion! I\'ll talk to some people and weigh out an average. That is just what Repco recommended me for my application.

The debate can commence : ...

:D;)

Ledge` said:

I\'m not going to be a w*nker and ask why. But thanks for you\'r opinion! I\'ll talk to some people and weigh out an average. That is just what Repco recommended me for my application.

The debate can commence : ...

:D;)

haha it is a topic every one has different opinions on. My WRX has 160 on it now and i use 5w/40 in it (recommended 5w/30 but went to a 40 because of ks) anything 40 will be fine in yours id imagine.

My opinion stay with the 5w/40.

I FOUND THE ULTIMATE OIL, ITS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR OIL QUESTIONS!!

http://www.chief-oil.com/chicasaw-wrx.html

Available here:

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Chief-Chicasaw-WRX-Engine-Oil-5W-30-5-Litre.aspx?pid=344495&menuFrom=60104#Cross

Its WRX oil !! LOL

Caution this oil "may or may not" be at all related to Subaru in any way shape or form and I highly doubt its the answer to all your questions

Petone Repco and my Father who owns the local workshop.

After reading this endless thread, seems anywhere around the 30 -40 range for a factory standard example is fine with a change every 5 thou k\'s or so ..

Car runs like a dream on PENRITE 5W-40 fully synthetic for me. To me 30 seems too thin ..

Dafuq is chief oil? You kinda want to look at listings relevant to our climate/conditions also.

There are light 30\'s and heavy 30\'s theres actually so much too it I have no idea about it. Most oils arent supplied with graphs etc so you kinda have to take the chemists word for it.

tebbyj said:

I FOUND THE ULTIMATE OIL, ITS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR OIL QUESTIONS!!

http://www.chief-oil.com/chicasaw-wrx.html

Available here:

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Chief-Chicasaw-WRX-Engine-Oil-5W-30-5-Litre.aspx?pid=344495&menuFrom=60104#Cross

Its WRX oil !! LOL

Caution this oil "may or may not" be at all related to Subaru in any way shape or form and I highly doubt its the answer to all your questions

LOLwut .. I can see some poor bugger going for it with the name being his reasoning ..

evowrx said:

Dafuq is chief oil? You kinda want to look at listings relevant to our climate/conditions also.

There are light 30\'s and heavy 30\'s theres actually so much too it I have no idea about it. Most oils arent supplied with graphs etc so you kinda have to take the chemists word for it.

For Wellington, other than randy wind, we may get one or two single notably hot weeks in the Summer (never consecutively) and in Winter, we are lucky to get one entire week where it\'s notably cold. So doesn\'t seem worth to take this into consideration (feel free to blow my theory up Welly folks).

ALTHOUGH

I am looking at PENRITE FULLY SYNTHETIC 10W-40 for my next change, seems to be more popular here than the 5W.

Ledge`']

/quote]

For Wellington, other than randy wind, we may get one or two single notably hot weeks in the Summer (never consecutively) and in Winter, we are lucky to get one entire week where it\'s notably cold. So doesn\'t seem worth to take this into consideration (feel free to blow my theory up Welly folks).

ALTHOUGH

I am looking at PENRITE FULLY SYNTHETIC 10W-40 for my next change, seems to be more popular here than the 5W.

What about Penrites 10W-50? dun dun dunnnnn

Timmah']

/quote]

ALTHOUGH

I went for the Penrite 10W-50 before my track day. Is great stuff, saw minor improvements over the 10W-40. I chose it over the 5W because I don\'t have a baffled sump and the added lubrication is beneficial. I used Penrite fluids all round their gearbox oils make a world of difference!

shore_boy said:

I went for the Penrite 10W-50 before my track day. Is great stuff, saw minor improvements over the 10W-40. I chose it over the 5W because I don\'t have a baffled sump and the added lubrication is beneficial. I used Penrite fluids all round their gearbox oils make a world of difference!

What improvements did you see?

shore_boy']

/quote]

ALTHOUGH

Isn\'t the first number for when the oil is cold, and therefore completely irrelevant to the need for a baffled sump?