Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New Calipers and spongy spongy feel

Hi All,

Yesterday we put some 4 pot STI calipers on my STI RA, where there were previously 2 pots.

New disks and pads also.

After bleeding and bleeding, and going through like 2 litres of 5.1 fluid, they are just dangerous.

Foot goes flat to the floor, and only after pumping like 2-3 times is there any braking.

Checked all bolts for leaks, there are none. There are also braided brake lines.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, or experienced it ?

The only thing that is different, is the brake fluid had been opened, and had been sitting there for a couple of months.

Currently I can't drive the car anywhere :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostcut

replace your master cylinder.... it will be bypassing as when you bled your brakes the pedal pusher pushed the pedal alllll the way and picked up shit under the seals and as when you drive the car normally you never push the pedal all the way to the floor bits of stuff accumulate in the end of the cylinder

Oh really ?? Not doubting you, but wouldn't this also have happened a couple of months ago when they were bled ? So you don't think it would be related to the old fluid ?

If it does need replacing, does anyone know, are all subaru master brake cylinders created equal ?

Guest boostcut

im 100% certain of it being exactly that... who bled them last time??? brake fluid is hygroscopic and attracts water so you would realisticly only get a spongy pedal when brakes are hot from using old fluid.... if you have the tools pull it apart and clean it out then bleed the cylinder on the bench and refit..... aslonfg as the cups are fine that is..

We bled them last time also, using the same tools.

Your suggestion does seem like the most likely then. Cool.

If I can find any brake cylinder off a subaru WRX, whether it's sti, or standard, turbo or not, or any year, it will be fine ?

Guest boostcut

yeah should be aslong as its the same ie on the side it should say NABCO 1 1/4 inch or something.... and buy new dont fuck around with second hand shit dude....

Guest boostcut

yeah you will need a vice and a good set of internal circlip pliers along with 12mm and 10mm etc... but easyer to buy new as they should only be around 45 bux

Guest boostcut

they shouldnt need it if you took one caliper off then fitted the new one... not like take it off then spank yourself at how cool the 4 pots are, go have a beer get a pie etc and let the master cylinder drain itself onto the ground

Guest keltik

before you go fecking around with expensive master cylinder parts it could still be worth a try. Its cheap n much easier.

My motto is try all the dumbass stupid stuff first - expensive and hard work should always be last resort

mint this exact thing happened to me today putting my four pots on my legacy, after ages of trying to get them to bleed and even bleeding all four we gave up. thing is I put my old two pots back on, bled it again and its all good. so we tryed the four pots again and wouldnt work, even tryed two other sets of four pots in case mine were stuffed and still a no go. so im back to my two pots and very frustrated!!

zarnah said:

mint this exact thing happened to me today putting my four pots on my legacy, after ages of trying to get them to bleed and even bleeding all four we gave up. thing is I put my old two pots back on, bled it again and its all good. so we tryed the four pots again and wouldnt work, even tryed two other sets of four pots in case mine were stuffed and still a no go. so im back to my two pots and very frustrated!!

Aye wdf? i mite wait till to put mine on, till you guys have got them sorted lol

Anyone done one and had them working?

would it be something to do with brake booster?

Silly Question

You have got the nipples at the top aye !!

Just making sure that you haven't fit L and R callipers on wrong side !

Ichi Ban said:

Silly Question

lol not so silly... im glad you asked, so now i know i need to have the nipples at the top!

lol cheers

Guest boostcut
 pl0x']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

Silly Question

/quote]

lol not so silly... im glad you asked, so now i know i need to have the nipples at the top!

lol cheers

oh my god and you guys are car enthusiasts?????

Wait, nipples at the top ?? Well, hmmm. I didn't actually check that. A friend handed them to me, and said "Yep, this is the left side, better make sure we get it right" and then we bolted them on.

But, no, the nipples are at the bottom.

crap.