Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy and awd handling

Hi Guys, please forgive the noob questions but we are picking up the 99 B4 on Saturday so I thought to ask about awd handling, we are used to rwd mid engine cars for our experience in driving/racing. we both have completed advanced driver training coarses but we have NO experience in 4wd or awd driving.

I know that we will get used to it but I was wondering anyone has any gotcha's or dont's or do's with the B4.

we are quite used to being able to handle understeer and oversteer with the right foot, and its pretty easy to get the car to do what you want it to do once you have some practice with it, i.e. keeping your foot in it in a corner to cancel the car wanting to "step out" and control snap over steer and do apply gas to settle the rear end and draw the rear end "down" at the apex.

do these same rules apply to awd cars as well?

lol lol thanks guys............I think, does anyone heel-toe here?

we do it in our MR2's all the time and it certainly helps, wonder how it will effect the AWD lol lol :o

Guest keltik

With a bit of practice you should be able to flick it into a corner off throttle and get the back to slide out - then a boot full of throttle to get everything back in line.

...or just nasty nasty nasty understeer if the car isnt set up right

keltik said:

With a bit of practice you should be able to flick it into a corner off throttle and get the back to slide out - then a boot full of throttle to get everything back in line.

thank you heaps, I can see this is going to take a considerable amount of driving and practice lol (oh too bad, another excuse to go for a drive) lol

about setup we know down the the n'th degree, literally how we would want to setup the MR2's with alighnment and shocks/struts/tyres....blah blah blah, but this is completely new for us, which is part of the challenge.................and FUN! ;D

funkytown said:

a 22mm sway bar in the rear helps no end to cure the understeer, and an anti lift kit in the front also helps. Two simple and fairly cheap mods to get you under way.

Key with subbies is dont lower them to far.

Get some nice tyres and you'll be away.

excellent! thank you!

they have some terrible cheapies on there now, we have priced some new Adrenalines Potenza RE11 (which we have all around on our 96 Mr2's) and love them.

tyres you will find raise some heated discussions on here.. everyone has their preferred brand. Nice to see a member making a choice based on their own past experience.

Same applies to suspension though really. You will find the drive different im sure, and come back describing what you do and do like.. people will give you all sorts of varied options about what is the best suited mod to remedy your complaint.

Subbies for the most part are like LEGO, and have a STACK of parts you can quickly bolt on, so enjoy

Like keltic said, you will be able to chuck it in with no throttle, or on a trailing brake, and power out of it. Be careful with the opposite lock when you have driven wheels at the front - you want to tend more toward the straight ahead than you are probably used to, to avoid a sudden-grip-tank-slapper.

You'll probably find you can carry braking much later into a corner to help keep the nose planted - even to the point which lock an inside front wheel and cause understeer with a Rwd car. They're very stable and hard to get out of shape so you can take a lot more liberties than with an MR2.

As said above you'll need less lock applied to catch a slide than you would with a Rwd, keep the front wheels pointed where you want to go because when the car hooks up you're going in that direction. The most common AWD mistake I've seen is people who get into a slide, wind on too much opposite lock then either lift off the gas or forget to take the opposite lock off again as the car comes back. End result is a violent (and almost uncatchable) snap back the other way.

Guest boostcut
 keltik said:

you can only do this with the brutal power of the h6. those single exhaust ports certainly multiply torque

ya thats a good point, I dont mean to be a pussy, really I dont, but the car does have 170,000 k, until we get a chance to go over the whole car and bring it up to scratch I would really be afraid of breaking something lol lol

I did not word that very well its been a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG day lol lol

boostcut said:

except swap those twins out when one dies. you will love it.

we absolutely will, I heard sti stuff will bolt on............kind of?

dont mean to go off topic :o