Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

DIY - Twisted Turbo Setup

Swindog

Big turbo's fit, I managed to jam a Holset HX35w in mine without having to remove the vacuum booster for the brakes. Also got the wastegate in there, just has a bend over the steering rack and it sits down low just infront of the firewall.

It does take alot of test fitting to get it in there and don't be tempted to put it on too much of a downward angle as the seals often leak into the turbine side. If it becomes a really tight fit, just aim the downpipe over the gearbox and down the passengers side. Leaves heaps of room for a wastegate in that case. Watch out for it fouling on the fuel pressure reg (if you still have a factory one) and leave space for a straightish shot into the intake of the turbo cause one leg of the manifold always sits right in the way.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem im having is actually mounting the turbo to something. as im not sure how do it or anything. as theres no provision on the turbo itself ...all the bolt holes on the turbo are for the flange to connect to the up pipe/down pipe

Na i wouldnt. I would actually find two mount points on the uppipe as the new owner of mine has said the one bracket has a crack on the weld, which says to me it needs another somewhere. Maybe back onto the firewall.

My downpipe and exhaust doesnt have rubber mounts which probably helps some how.

Swindog said:

Na i wouldnt. I would actually find two mount points on the uppipe as the new owner of mine has said the one bracket has a crack on the weld, which says to me it needs another somewhere. Maybe back onto the firewall.

My downpipe and exhaust doesnt have rubber mounts which probably helps some how.

you say find some.() do you mean make some. yeah no doubt..but the thing is this turbo is friggan huge and i dont know how to hold the turbo in place so i can make the manifold to fit up to it.

Trent']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

you say find some.() do you mean make some. yeah no doubt..but the thing is this turbo is friggan huge and i dont know how to hold the turbo in place so i can make the manifold to fit up to it.

na therell be spare bolt holes there somewhere free. be inventive.

yea sorry im getting all confused ... but how do you think i should do it ... tack the turbo to some bits of metal to hold it in place then make the manifold up to it then brace the up pipe and down pipe. and break off the tackd mouns on the turbo?

This is how mine is held and I probably have one of the heaviest turbos on here lol (20kg+)

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Flexi joins in the up and down pipe.

Basically just need something like flat bar welded to the flange / uppipe / downpipe and bolted to engine or gearbox. (not bolted to anything firmly attached to the body because the engine moves quite a bit)

When I did mine, I got the flange that was going to be at the end of the up-pipe, decided by eye round about where the turbo was going to sit, then made similar brackets to 99GTB's to hold the flange in place (by itself). I just used some flat bar with a hole to bolt to the head and the bellhousing, then 10mm round bar from those to the flange. Then sat the turbo on the flange and bend the bars until it was exactly where I wanted it to be. Then fully welded the bars to the flange etc and made the up-pipe to meet up with where the flange now sat.

I originally just used one mounting point off the top of the head but decided that it wouldn't hold up the massive chunk of steel that I call a turbo. I'm pretty sure that where I've mounted it is still the same two spots as the factory bracket though.

Trent said:

true ers for that that actually helps quite a bit . now i just have to remove all these hoses that are in they way and figure out what some of this s*** is haha.but yea that looks very doable. wanna sell your setup =P

Um no sorry won't sell it, just built it recently and haven't even got to drive it yet. (everything is for sale for the right price, but in this case that price is very high lol)

I did very similar to koom to build, had a flange and made some brackets to hold the flange in place first and then built the piping to suit.

Here's another pic I have of the brackets...

IMG_0149.jpg

And this is why i wouldn't really want to sell it anytime soon...

IMG_0170.jpg

Rather custom setup, all the work was done by myself and jason (gotasuby) + a welder.

• 2 weeks later...
 1989RS said:

do you have to fmic your car to be able to do a this setup

If you're just using a normal sized turbo, then no, you can keep the factory top mount intercooler. Just takes an extra silcone bend or two to connect the twisted turbo to the intercooler inlet. As for 99GTB's turbo, you can barely fit an engine in there next to that thing!

• 2 months later...