Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Center diff gone in your BH? heres a VERY cheap option

gazzy2000

I can not get over how much of a steering lock my car now has without the thudding. I am actually willing to go the full lock instead of three point turning everything.

Definately a saving if you have the time to do it and are cheap and don't want to pay like me :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey lads just another quick question. There is a rattle now both when under load or when at high revs... It is defo coming from the gear lever because when it rattles and I hold the lever it goes away... any ideas?

Evokillaz said:

Hey lads just another quick question. There is a rattle now both when under load or when at high revs... It is defo coming from the gear lever because when it rattles and I hold the lever it goes away... any ideas?

its not the actual bush(s) for the gear stick itself is it? i mean if you hold it and it stops rattling that kinda tells you its not inside the g/box itself atleast...

Evokillaz said:

Yeah defo not internal.. the gear stick does flop around a little...

The gear stick has some side to side movement when in gear? Like if you grab the gear stick you can jiggle it side to side a bit more then you could before you took apart your transfer case?

Make sure the bolt and nut that goes through the hole I have circled is nice and tight. Tighten the nut until it clamps both sides of the rubber bushing that sits in between the two metal faces. I did this nut up but couldn't remember how tight it was beforehand so I didn't tighten it as much as I should have. Now I have some side to side movement of the gear stick when in gear and it does flop around a little bit as well (no rattle though).

34teupw.jpg

When I got under the car this arvo to check there is a little bit of play between the bushing and the rod, so yeah to take out the play just tighten the nut more. The official torque according to my service manual is 13 ft/lb or 156 in/lb which is a fair bit for a little nut like that, wish I had read that bit when I was putting it back together!

Easy fix just it's a bastard for access to re-tighten it if you dont want to remove anything else.

• 2 months later...
 blackshade said:

Awesome thread man. I'm gonna give it a try with my BH5 wagon. the diff is shot to bits. bit hard to find though. Do you by any chance know the transmission number of the gearbox you used?

no i dont off hand, i can give you a G/box code off my V4 STI one if you want? (its in my car i'd hv to write it down)

blackshade said:

will that same set up fit in a BH5 Legacy? If so yeah man that would be awesome. Do you know of anyone trying to flick off their tranny set up?

Cheers man, great help

yip, v3/4 (+/- 97-98) STi boxes is what i refer to use in this thread. Will poke my head under the bonnet and get those numbers soon.

Someone on here may have a dead v3/4 STI box or have a look for one on TM.

here is a chart with Gear box codes http://spda-online.ca/modules/tinycontent/rewrite/tc_28.html

and this is the one in my car (98 v4 STI) TY752VBCAA

another but more expensive option is if you scored an entire V5/6 STI G/box with the matching rear Diff or an entire v3/4 STI box with the rear diff, both will bolt up no worries, but you certainly need the matching rear diff. THis option is only feasible if you score both for a song.

But other benefits of using the entire g/box n diff is that it changes your BH leggy drive chain ratio to the better ratio of an STI. (the BHs leggy ratios seem to have longer legs)

• 1 month later...

I need help asap.

I got a replacement centre diff and rear housing from someone on the forum, and I have a feeling he's sent me a automatic rather than a manual. I'm having massive issues putting the selector back in and I can't even use the old one. Please help..

blackshade said:

I need help asap.

I got a replacement centre diff and rear housing from someone on the forum, and I have a feeling he's sent me a automatic rather than a manual. I'm having massive issues putting the selector back in and I can't even use the old one. Please help..

details & photos needed

• 3 months later...
 madmike']

[quote name='subypower said:

My centre diff is on its way out :o

Where is the best place to find a wrecked sti gearbox?

None on TM.

/quote]

For your RS?

If so i have one in my shed you can grab..

For the wags bro after a long drive it binds up like a b****! Looking for a shagged sti gearbox so i can use the centre diff

• 2 months later...

My cousin has asked kindly if anyone here can suggest a replacement for his dead centre diff on his BH

Trans: TY754VBBBA

We cannot seem to find any on trademe :( he\'s located in wellington area

Anyone with a spare wrecked sti gearbox with a cdiff that will suit?

Any help is highly appreciated

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
 dwnz said:

Replaced my centre diff on Saturday. Job turned out to be a lot bigger than I was expecting (gearbox was left on the car, so everything else had to be removed), but it works!

A couple of photos and things here:

http://danielwylie.me/blog/2013/02/changing-a-centre-diff

hey thats the center diff that i sent. glad it went well. enjoy :)