Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Goodyear Eagle F1's - good vs bad

Have been doing a fair amount of reasearch, in advance of finding something suitably sticky to wrap my TE37's in, have read different reviews on the Goodyear Eagle F1, based on their country of manufacture..

I've heard that the German produced (can't find these anywhere..) variants are, according to many, the best version a(nd the only version to buy) of the Eagle F1.

Conversely, have discovered that the Malyasian / Thai variants are the worst, but haven't hear anything about the Chinese?

I asked a seller on TardMe where the tyres were produced, that she is trying to sell. She went on the usual rant (as expected by the seller) to depend Goodyear by stating that they wouldn't put their name to shame by producing a different quality of tyre in different regions. I beg to differ..

Have found some Eagle F1's cheap, manufactured in China. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these?

Based on the fact that it's quite an outlay of cash, would love some feedback from fellow ClubSub'ers prior to forking out a weeks pay on tyres..

Many thanks in advance.

When I bought my STi it had German Eagle F1 tyres... I honestly thought they were shit, the most over rated tyre ever. They had a really wooden unprogressive feeling to them... ok in the wet though.

I have eagle f1s.. low profile/i dont know a lot about them at all, but i havent died yet.

They look nice?

I can give you proper details if you want.. lol

• General Member

F1s are getting hard to get your hands on now arent they?

I was told recently they werent being produced anymore (no idea if thats true or not may have just been the size I was looking for.

Only experience I had with them (briefly) was on a skyline set up to skid, they seemed ok. But I still prefer my T1Rs just quietly.

I tried F1's when my original set of Bridgestone 070's wore out

The F1's work better in damp conditions. However as has already been mentioned the sidewalls are way too soft resulting poor steering feedback (I love the feel of the 070's) and terrible front outer edge wear (even with another 7-10psi)

The dry grip is poor compared to 070's.

When I got my F1's people on the forums in England were saying how great they were (which is why I tried them) I was hugely disappointed, I now put up with the rather limited damp road grip afforded by 070's

I found the Eagle F1 (GSD3 not Assymetric) and T1R to be very similar in most ways - feel and wet grip of the F1s slightly better but also more expensive. They both have decent grip but very soft, weak sidewalls which are prone to premature wear and slice up badly if you use them on gravel.

I went to Brdigestone RE001 after those and haven't looked back (or had a single puncture) - RE001 cold grip isn't quite as good but better in every other way - dry/wet grip when warm, quieter, more consistent feel etc. Might try the RE050 next time round, apparently they last a bit longer.

I've got GSD3's on my car(the german made ones), I loved them (when my car was running) but i've got 215/40 17's on 17x8's so a bit of tyre stretch, which means no sidewall flex. I got them from beaurepairs about 3 years ago.

If I was replacing them now I would go for adrenalines (re001) but then again I dont push it hard on the street.

• 3 months later...

MY b4 came on Eagle F1s, they feel like a pretty average tyre. My previous leggy had the Bridgestone Playz, and i preffered them as a tyre as they had a very gradual grip falloff, and let you know you were pushing their limits before you got there. The eagle F1's on the other hand suddenly snap when you push too hard, and run out of grip completely, resulting in some nerve wracking understeer on some corners.