Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

installing bonnet pins

sl8r

Scoobydoo, if you have a track car you can't have a latch as it is removed. So marshalls have easy access to engine bay in case of an accident, mine had to be removed for scrutineering.

Koom on here drilled mine as even my mechanic didn't want to drill through my carbon fibre bonnet, he would have some good knowledge on hte how to's. Would recommend pming him, definitely the old addage of check twice drill once would be a goer haha

My mechanic recommended putting them here as in the pics, same place as his rally cars so guess it's a good place.

Can take some close up photos of mine if you want?

Pic of my location of bonnet pins.

58453_10150271667920587_702425586_148100

Scoobydoo said:

Ah okay, fair enough then. Would they be the positions of the rubber stops for the bonnet?

Mine are, others I've seen put two around the front middle of the car. Problem with no latch, technically anyone can open my bonnet now haha talk about security issues. Seen a few guys with trackcars having a padlock through their bonnet pin.

• 2 weeks later...
 sl8r said:

Has anyone had any issues with the screws rusting up, have seen people use rivets instead? thoughts? first hand knowledge?

I used screws in mine, never had an issue with them (they are coated or stainless from memory?).

Bonus is that when you need to remove the pins (cos you smash your bonnet in a race :'( ) you just unscrew them rather than having to drill them out like rivets.

Most pins come with those funny backing things that the screws thread into but you dont need them, just drill the holes for the screws quite small, since the alloy bonnets are soft the screws bite in really well and they dont come loose or anything.

sl8r']

Bump

[quote name='sl8r said:

Did you have to enlarge the bump stop holes?

/quote]

who are you asking? the bump stops that come with your bonnet pins should be the right size for your pins.

-smurff

smurff']

Bump

[quote name='sl8r said:

/quote]

who are you asking? the bump stops that come with your bonnet pins should be the right size for your pins.

-smurff

The black stop your bonnet rests on, do you need to a. remove them and b. enlarge the hole if you were to use that spot.

Tony said:

Bonus is that when you need to remove the pins (cos you smash your bonnet in a race :'( ) you just unscrew them rather than having to drill them out like rivets.

Good point :)

Think i will use the same spot as your ones Tony!

sl8r']

Bump

[quote name='sl8r said:

/quote]

-smurff

The black stop your bonnet rests on, do you need to a. remove them and b. enlarge the hole if you were to use that spot.

oh, i didnt use that spot, i left the original stops as there were and made new holes.

but if you have ur pins, its not had to check :P

-smurff

Tony']

[quote name='sl8r said:

Has anyone had any issues with the screws rusting up, have seen people use rivets instead? thoughts? first hand knowledge?

/quote]

I used screws in mine, never had an issue with them (they are coated or stainless from memory?).

Most pins come with those funny backing things that the screws thread into but you dont need them, just drill the holes for the screws quite small, since the alloy bonnets are soft the screws bite in really well and they dont come loose or anything.

The sets ive had dealings with only seem to come with cheap Zinc plated washers/screws. Ive always change them to stainless. Ive made one set up using all stainless. Only thing i had to buy was the clips.