Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RWD converted questions on D/S loops & rear axle mods

Guest vf20/21bg5

Guest vf20/21bg5

Can anyone tell me about where the driveshaft loop has to go on a rwd conversion if subaru's already have them at the rear and center? im guessing its up the front near the box? (any pics?)

....and is it only the inner cv's that s*** themselves or is there problems with the outer cv's? or splines? or.........? Just got some 2nd hand ones to play around with and modify, so cause im only maybe putting out 400hp ish and will ever only be 2 people in the car while driving i dont want to have to convert to a full r180 setup yet if all i need to do is change the inner cv's for now

what experiences have you heard of or been through? I havnt heard of any rear or front outer cv's pulling apart under extreme loads,.......... is it just the splines and inner cv's that fail?

how about welding the shaft at both ends to the inner cv bearing race(or the part of the cv that splines onto the splineof the axle) as so the splines are strengthened considerably? I dont see why that wouldnt work as long as the welding process doesnt temper the steel to weaken it.

pretty sure from memory the loop has to be between the middle and the gearbox, but I would ask a certifier to be sure, I have just removed my front diff crownwheel and am going to run front shafts for now to get a wof before cert in february, I actually just got my car running the other day and gave it a bootfull up my driveway and as I changed into second and boost came on again BANG! thought it was my rear diff but after going through all the trouble of dropping it out it turned out to be a rearshaft and it had snapped clean in half right inside the inner cv, never seen one break so cleanly though it looks like it was cut straight through, will find my camera and post a pic....

Guest vf20/21bg5

HOLLY SHIT! Id like to see the pics. Its suppose to be the inner cv rollers flexing off the spiders inside the housing b4 the axles break!

Any other recorded breaks of the axles? ....or splines etc you heard? Looks like the strongest part of the unit will be the outer cv

and thats round about where they all seem to break, if not a little closer to the spline, never seen one break so cleanly though, either I got to much power or a weak shaft haha, usually they are a twisted mangled mess and the inside of the cv is usually all over the ground haha

Guest vf20/21bg5

hehehe im gunna weld the fark out of mine around that area and see then if they break in other places but you are right it is very strange how clean it is....maybe is was sabotage by the French again, rainbow worrier all over ;D

PM gotasuby,

the other night in chch jase was showing us some pics of 'two' driveshaft hoops he had to have installed for his cert, for power increasement of more than 20??%, said something about them being fitted 150mm from the u-joints , made from ...mm thick steel & they use 4x 10mm bolts each

he has the cert & details for that aye

Guest S T  E Y E

with my own cars and changing a few mates ones it always seemed to be the cv output that clips into the diff... its not the axel but its the out put that goes inside the diff which is the cv cup...all the ones ive seen / done have been a clean break haha straight as but i could see it was starting to twist like wen u ring out a rag to get the water out hahaha

Guest vf20/21bg5
 S T E Y E said:

with my own cars and changing a few mates ones it always seemed to be the cv output that clips into the diff... its not the axel but its the out put that goes inside the diff which is the cv cup...all the ones ive seen / done have been a clean break haha straight as but i could see it was starting to twist like wen u ring out a rag to get the water out hahaha

oh shit it looks like everones got a different bad story to tell bout the axels

Guest vf20/21bg5
 CUDDAS said:

PM gotasuby,

the other night in chch jase was showing us some pics of 'two' driveshaft hoops he had to have installed for his cert, for power increasement of more than 20??%, said something about them being fitted 150mm from the u-joints , made from ...mm thick steel & they use 4x 10mm bolts each

he has the cert & details for that aye

...k will do cheers

Guest vf20/21bg5
 dubbedup said:

the only prob i had with my suby when it was rwd was lack of traction and getting stuck in my driveway where the angle changed to get onto the road.

Bloody hilly southland roads :P you should shift to Hamilton! no hills here ;)

dubbedup said:

the only prob i had with my suby when it was rwd was lack of traction and getting stuck in my driveway where the angle changed to get onto the road.

Same here in the Legacy, open pulling out of my parents drive (slight slope) it barely gets traction at the top (mmm gotta install my LSD sometime soon!)

Guest S T  E Y E

if ur serious about running rwd u shoulda snapped up that custom sub frame on here a while back which held a nissan r200 lsd and big nissan rwd axels...

cos think about it the subaru stuff is never gona last a true raping in rwd as it was never designed for it...

the nissan stuff handles a massive raping and doesnt give out

zarnah']

yea, id rather blow a diff/axle than my gearbox though haha

this is why i would rather a rwd subie

[quote name='S T E Y E said:

hahaha y do u have a subaru if u want a rwd that can handle it u needa RB mate haha

heaps my mates have smashed nissan OEM stuff,

you rwd a subaru to stand out form the crowd of slivias/cef/laurels and skiddas.

Guest S T  E Y E

hmm ive owned plenty of nissan RBs and if u want reliabilty then nissans the way to go... GTR mechanical LSDs are strong as anything and if ur smashing a RB25DET box ur doing something wrong hahahaha

theres tones of rwd subys and they all smash diffs / gearboxs etc

but yea if u like it go hard i bet ur getting fast at chnging diffs haha

and i never really thrash my car anyhow, might make it step a bit sometimes when im feeling a bit naughty and its safe to do so but I dont go out doing donuts and skids all over the show in it, mainly its rwd cos it was set up that way when I got it, If I ever replace the box etc i'll probly just put it back to awd anyhow

here is what drive shaft loops look like. these are made to minimuim specs haha which is

5mm thick steel. 50mm width 360 degrees around shaft no more than 150mm behind all universals. and it bolts through floor with 4x 10mm bolts with 14mm heads and there is a 100x50mm plate on other side with nuts welded to it

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

• Like 1

Guest vf20/21bg5
 gotasuby said:

here is what drive shaft loops look like. these are made to minimuim specs haha which is

5mm thick steel. 50mm width 360 degrees around shaft no more than 150mm behind all universals. and it bolts through floor with 4x 10mm bolts with 14mm heads and there is a 100x50mm plate on other side with nuts welded to it

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

cheers for that just wot i needed to see but do i need 2 of them? goesnt the hanger barcket sort of act as one?

Guest vf20/21bg5
 S T E Y E said:

if ur serious about running rwd u shoulda snapped up that custom sub frame on here a while back which held a nissan r200 lsd and big nissan rwd axels...

cos think about it the subaru stuff is never gona last a true raping in rwd as it was never designed for it...

the nissan stuff handles a massive raping and doesnt give out

too true but ill slowly work through the problems and sort them as they arrise

Guest vf20/21bg5
 zarnah said:

and i never really thrash my car anyhow, might make it step a bit sometimes when im feeling a bit naughty and its safe to do so but I dont go out doing donuts and skids all over the show in it, mainly its rwd cos it was set up that way when I got it, If I ever replace the box etc i'll probly just put it back to awd anyhow

...yeah im the same im not a thrasher or purpose skidder,i just like the feel of it stepping out and the control you have to have over it, feathering the throttle on the brink of control and out of control. AWD cant give you that feel i found over the years(it sort of can in the wet i guess). Altho once ive had enuf of RWD on this engine i most certainly will convert it back to AWD to see what its like,may be sooner than later tho if my engine ends up producing way more torque than i estimated.