Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CV Joints

My legacy's right CV joint has decided to start making some unwanted noise and i was wondering if its possible to replace this part myself or if i will need to take it to a mechanic?

Guest S T  E Y E

pretty easy bro i can give u a rough walk through of it...i like to remove the shaft completely as it makes it easier in a vice....

soooo (ive gota remember actually haha)

jack up and remove wheel...

use pin punch and remove roll pin from inside cv...

remove big ass nut before u go any further (the nut that is on end of outer cv which goes through hub)

remove 2x lower strut bolts (mark top bolt as this is camber adjustment)

pull hub on angle and u should be able to slide the cv out of the hub...then slide the inner cv off the splines....

u should have the axel in ur hand now...

put axel in vice...

cut the boot off (which is more than likely broken since its making noise) ...hacksaw is good to cut the boot and the metal clip..

using a hammer smack the old cv off the axel...

pack ya new cv with the grease iit came with...get it all up in there...

fit new boot to axel...

check the clip on the end of the axel which holds cv on that its not farked

hit new cv on with hammer so its clipped in...

and refit all in same order as removal...

hope this helps man...

ive had some cvs stuck in the hub...had to remove whole hub and put in vice and smash the shit put of it to get it out...hopefully urs comes out nicely...

if u cant angle the hub enough just drop the tie rod end off the hub...just split pin and undo nut and smack it out...cant remember if u need to or not

cheers man

Guest S T  E Y E

yea man cool as i like helping people out haha its beter to do work on ya car than pay some fool to cock it up and do a dodgy without telling you haha...

but anyway ull only need basic tools like hammer,pin punch,socket set upto 19mm and spanners etc..only thing u need is a big power bar (or rattle gun/compressor) and i think the socket for the axel nut is 32mm or 34 but pretty sure its 32mm..u can get someone to hold their foot on the brake while u jump on the power bar to loosen it...if ya cant get it put a pipe on the bar then jump on it haha they get pretty stuck from not being undone much...

hope this helps man..

once u do one ull think its piece of piss for wenever u next needa do one

I would change the order of undoing the 32mm nut :) take centre cup out of wheel and undo while it still on ground :)

Also instead of undoing the strut bolts, u can undo the single 14mm bolt at the bottom of the hub and lever bottom arm down to allow the hub to swing,then remove axle (better then upsetting the wheel alignment )

I remove the boots starting at the inside CV undo clips,slide inside boot down shaft,remove inside CV,slide inside boot off,undo clips on outter boot slide it off,then carry on as mentioned,re install new boot down shaft once new CV installed.the reason why i do this is so u can clean and repack inner CV as well :)

Guest S T  E Y E

yea but outer cvs are the ones that click...so if the boots not broken on the inner its not really worth it unless u wana re pack it...

u can do it either way for the center nut cos if u got it on axel stands u can get someone to hold brake and u can undo oit...either way it doesnt matter

the way i mentioned it is the way id do it

Just dont hit the end of the new CV joint or the thread will bulge.

I had the clutch done on my rover one time and they broke my CV joint by hitting the end of it plus a ABS sensor >:(

Didnt like the bill at the end :'(

S T E Y E said:

they charged u for them breaking stuff??? wtf???

Yea just under 3k for a clutch, right front CV, Rear main seal and I had to buy a new ABS sensor as they couldn't find one

I was not happy as I had worked for the guy and I know some one on here still works for him but didnt at the time

CUDDAS said:

fuk 3k for a clutch & i work there.

that is ripped a new one ???

Yea i think you were just starting when I got it done

I think kyle did it?

Guest S T  E Y E

oooh names are in the air now no turning back haha...id be making him pay for it....

when i was a mechanic (changed professins now) my bos allways said...

if u fuck something up the customer isnt gonna pay to cover it...ur gonna fix the problem and ur not gonna get paid for it and ur gonna pay for the parts u broke....

this makes a mechanic work alot more nicely to say the least with this in mind...

company policy must be different there...

CUDDAS said:

fark i'm glad i'm going back to farming.

& true that but i started there in 2004 & went away (not prison) for 18months on the family farm & do recall the honda/rover/turbo car at our new building

Yea just down from I.T.S, It was just after I crushed my arm under a car while working at I.T.S and I couldnt work

Were are you going to be working??

Has robbie found a new worker yet? ;)

S T E Y E said:

oooh names are in the air now no turning back haha...id be making him pay for it....

when i was a mechanic (changed professins now) my bos allways said...

if u f*** something up the customer isnt gonna pay to cover it...ur gonna fix the problem and ur not gonna get paid for it and ur gonna pay for the parts u broke....

this makes a mechanic work alot more nicely to say the least with this in mind...

company policy must be different there...

I just about had a heart attack when I went to pick the car up a 4 days late

liquid_ice']

[quote name='CUDDAS said:

fark i'm glad i'm going back to farming.

& true that but i started there in 2004 & went away (not prison) for 18months on the family farm & do recall the honda/rover/turbo car at our new building

/quote]

Yea just down from I.T.S, It was just after I crushed my arm under a car while working at I.T.S and I couldnt work

Were are you going to be working??

Has robbie found a new worker yet? ;)

i dont think he will need to, we have enough & i'd really like to sell up & move back to the coast but.....(tbc) 8)

liquid_ice']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

more than you want :)

500 at a guess including parts

/quote]

WOW

That has to be gold plated!!

Why is that

parts if done right could easily be a hundy or so

time probably 2-3 hrs especially if the outer CV is stuck in the hub which is a common issue charge out rate between 50-100 an hr so thats between 150 and 300

plus GST plus consumables

easily hit 500

DRFVDR']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

more than you want :)

500 at a guess including parts

/quote]

WOW

That has to be gold plated!!

Why is that

parts if done right could easily be a hundy or so

time probably 2-3 hrs especially if the outer CV is stuck in the hub which is a common issue charge out rate between 50-100 an hr so thats between 150 and 300

plus GST plus consumables

easily hit 500

Oh ok it takes me a bit under a hour to do one CV joint but I have the tool for doing up the stainless steel ties

there's also that the workshops have mark up, labour & gst on top. then theres cheap/good or genuine cv kit's ranging from $70-$200 each.

shaft's siezed into the hub = extra labour again. pretty sad but if you cant do it your self it's going to cost money.

not mates rates & i dont work for free,

hence why i'd rather work on my own stuff than doing cash jobs, i dont mind making stuff & if i'm happy with it, then selling it though.