• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

locked center diff

Pappu1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes but if the welds were solid would this work??

im unsure if it will just lock the gearbox and have no drive at all or will it be RWD?

another thing i am just unsure when people say remove the front crownwheel....then they say lock the center diff bt welding it?? is there another "differential" in the gearbox other than the fron one u remove the crownwheel from?

so im still confused....

u remove the crown wheel so the lay shaft is not conecting drive through the pinion to the front differention yeah??

thats understandable...but then u say "weld the center differential?? in the pic of the gearbox split apart there is only one differentiial inside the box??? front ...center???

if its the front one u lock why do u need to lock it if there is no crown wheel conecting the drive???

and if it were locked with the axels still in and no crown wheel then the car wouldnt turb ie skip / sledge every where...

is there something im missing here

There is 2 diffs in the gearbox, the front one where the front drive axles come out of,this one u remove the ring gear if you still want to run the front drive shafts.

In the rear section of the gearbox where the rear drive shaft comes out is another diff/viscous coupling this is the one that u disable by welding.

I have just dismantled a centre diff to see if there is a better way of doing it and I may have a way but will need to try it and see then will have to get some one to test it as I don't have a late model car nor do i believe a Subaru should be any thing but awd :)

Guest vf20/21bg5
 pl0x said:

yep thats how most people ran it i thought.

you need to plug it up with something, there is a thread somewhere showing what to do?

But leaving front shafts in is a way around needing a cert

I went straight to the LVVTA Tech Team - Engineering and mechanical for the answer to this one and for subaru's it was very clear that shafts can be taken out as long as by doing so does not effect braking(+abs system) and that the front cv joint cages are taken out and the front cv's are bolted to the hub as per normal.......the lvvta rules for leaving front axles in mainly applys to most other rwd conversions with male inner cv joint shafts which holds things in the box together,subaru's have female stubed cv's so dont need to be in....

So if you do the rear wheel drive conversion right by removing the center diff spline that connects the shaft to the front diff assembly so that that mass is now dormant thr should be no issues(other ways will work but why split open your box to do it when all you need to do is cut off the apropriate spline from your easy to take off center diff)

Anyway so when i approached the lvvta guys about my situation they said it was basicly up to a certifier on the day and if i was to be failed then they would have to come up with a real good reason cause they couldnt fail me online lol...have a read as it sort of dispells the myth for us to leave our shafts in.....but the true test is when i go for my cert ;) will let you know how it goes http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=114

Guest vf20/21bg5
 pappu said:

so if u remove the front shafts then u dont have to remove the crown wheel ay?

will oil leak outa the front diff if the front shafts are removed?

will it be ok to run a locked cntr and no front shafts then ya?

About the oil leaking out if the front inner cvs are removed i do believe is no cause the seals run on the front diff output shafts not the cv's as they are femaled splined, can anyone confirm no oil will come out? Plus if its converted right way the front diff assembly wont be turning anyway to slash that oil around

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

unless you cut the output shaft from the centre diff to the front diff then the front diff will spin,

am thinking that i may be able to lock the centre diff by using a short shaft between the front and rear outputs

Sorry im not sure what you meen....The output shaft from the center diff to the front diff's conecting shaft is splined. Thats why when you pull the center diff housing off the end of the box you will see the spline that connects the center diff housing to the front diff shaft...so you dont cut the output shaft ,you remove the center diff spline as they professionally do these days

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

oh so u have the spline machined out of the centre diff ???

lets hope it not to Hard as i bet that would be a bitch of a job

nope i got the spline drop-sawed off as it didnt need support where it was cut , drove it for 3mnths last year b4 taking it off the rd and was mint as...honestly was a 3 hour job converting it prpoerly

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

which is exactly what I said :)

mmm now what do u do with the spline bit that gets cut off,as i think that can be used to lock the centre diff :)

..the center diff was welded solid after i removed the viscous coupling...the center diff spline just stays disconnected from the shaft of the front diff so not sure what you meen

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

yup yup that the best way ? trying to work out a semi non permanant way

if you use that peice of splined shaft that was cut from the input shaft and used it to lock the spider gears together then u should have a locked diff

holey hell,sorry im just trying to get my head around it ;)

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

I pulled a centre diff apart on friday, so sorta figuring it out :) and i has a stuffed gearbag here too soooo will have aplay next week :)

just think that destroying a good diff by welding it is a bit of a waste really :)

I enjoyed pulling my centre diff apart and converting it....put it back together and dun a couple of drop clutch skids in the whale to test it and didnt have an issue till i pulled it off the road....only a $50 part if a few box's are stripped at your subaru wreckers anyway if you fuck it up

Guest vf20/21bg5
 WRXONP said:

am fully wanting to do this to my car...i would not do it the crown wheel way..i would and if i do ill do it by leaving gearbox in and removing center diff and locking it and refitting and removing front shafts

honestly its a 2hr job if you know what you are doing and have access to a really grunty welder! When you weld those center diff spiders you gotta make sure the weld is really penatrating.The spline cut is easy too but i didnt have a drop saw at the time so got an engineering place to wop it off, others have machined the spline out but i saw no point in that