• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

locked center diff

Pappu1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drop sawing the spline is if you want to run the front driveshafts,the only to do this is to either remove the ring gear from the front diff or cut the spline of the pinion shaft,the reason why they are still running the front drive shafts is to get away from the having to get it certed,

If u are not going to run front drive shafts, and get it certed then no worries

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

drop sawing the spline is if you want to run the front driveshafts,the only to do this is to either remove the ring gear from the front diff or cut the spline of the pinion shaft,the reason why they are still running the front drive shafts is to get away from the having to get it certed,

AY ???...member this?.......I went straight to the LVVTA Tech Team - Engineering and mechanical for the answer to this one and for subaru's it was very clear that shafts can be taken out as long as by doing so does not effect braking(+abs system) and that the front cv joint cages are taken out and the front cv's are bolted to the hub as per normal.......the lvvta rules for leaving front axles in mainly applys to most other rwd conversions with male inner cv joint shafts which holds things in the box together,subaru's have female stubed cv's so dont need to be in....

So if you do the rear wheel drive conversion right by removing the center diff spline that connects the shaft to the front diff assembly so that that mass is now dormant thr should be no issues(other ways will work but why split open your box to do it when all you need to do is cut off the apropriate spline from your easy to take off center diff)

Anyway so when i approached the lvvta guys about my situation they said it was basicly up to a certifier on the day and if i was to be failed then they would have to come up with a real good reason cause they couldnt fail me online lol...have a read as it sort of dispells the myth for us to leave our shafts in.....but the true test is when i go for my cert will let you know how it goes http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=114

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

Im not running the driveshafts and ive cut the female spline shell off the centre diff,i have not cut the spline off the the pinions connection shaft so im not sure what you meen

CP93MM']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

/quote]Im not running the driveshafts and ive cut the female spline shell off the centre diff,i have not cut the spline off the the pinions connection shaft so im not sure what you meen

oh ok so i know what you cut now, the inner spline, of the centre diff :)

and we shall see about the certification as it is a change to the drive system :) some say u do some say u dont,and every certifier/wof/cof guy is different :)

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

/quote]Im not running the driveshafts and ive cut the female spline shell off the centre diff,i have not cut the spline off the the pinions connection shaft so im not sure what you meen

oh ok so i know what you cut now, the inner spline, of the centre diff :)

and we shall see about the certification as it is a change to the drive system :) some say u do some say u dont,and every certifier/wof/cof guy is different :)

thats right, hence why the guys from the lvvta said that i may encounter a certifier that will say no to the shafts being out but he also has to prove why! not just cause he heard or read it sumwhere lol....i have studied this and can not see any reason to why the shafts cant stay out, and would love people to come up with some ideas if they could why they would have to be in?

Guest vf20/21bg5

yep but be carefull you dont have much tolerance to get t wrong.... my v5 gearboc center diff looked slightly different from that,is that a v3/4 box?

Guest vf20/21bg5
 DRFVDR said:

have no idea :) it arrived at my WS some how all i know it is out of a turbo ( has the "pull" type clutch fork )

well the difference beteween the v5/6 box and v3/4 box 1stly is the cost(v5/6 more expensive) and 2ndly the v5/6 has an 8 bolt bell housing and v3/4 has a 4 bolt housing...... and they differ cause the v5/6 has a stronger casing with more supports and ribbing added for strength plus a redesigned transfer case and completely new center diff........so what version do you think you have?