Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Steering shudder in full lock?? Oh crap!

Ok please don't flame me for asking a question. I'm new here and i did try to search (for about half an hour) for an answer but didn't come up with anything.

Anyway, i have a 2004 WRX wagon, last night i was turning into a carpark at the gym and i got a wicked shudder in full lock. When i backed out later the same thing happened and it keeps happening in full lock in either direction. Now i've been googling and some idiot seemed to think that all AWD cars do this because at full lock the wheels move at different speeds or something. Someone else on Google suggested i replace the power steering fluid coz there might be a blockage somewhere...anyways just wondering if anyone on here has had this happen before?

We only bought the car on Saturday and we had the AA check it out first. Surely they would notice such an obvious steering issue >:(

Could you describe it as the drivetrain 'binding up'? It may or may not be related, but my old Legacy auto does this something chronic. Centre diff is poked and QUITE locked, makes the inside wheels fight and try and go faster than they should. Makes for some fantastic skipping and farting around.

If the diff is locked, it'll bind. It stops the wheels from going different speeds. Much like the early autos have a fuse for FWD too ;D

Mine's a TT box in a BF5 Legacy so it's a different scenario to this WRX, but willing to bet it's a similar sort of issue.

First port of call: Call the AA and mention it to them. "The car you checked for us, rego _____, yeah did you notice that it has a massive skipping and binding steering problem?" ...see if they'll do anything for you.

If they're useless, and if no stellar answers come from here, there are a few decent mechanics around here that are either club sponsors or come highly recommended from happy club members. Really though, unless it was sold 'as is, where is', then there ought to be some sort of assurance that a mechanical problem like that won't show up.

AFAIK there is a solenoid in the rear of the auto box that opens the diff (same as removing the FWD fuse) during full steering lock. if the solenoid fails you will get the shudder as the diffs bind up.

seems to be quite a common problem in auto cars.

repair-cost-wise, you will need to talk to a suby mechanic

HEAVY DUTY SOLENOID C!

My sisters did the same thing, Got it serviced not entirely sure what they did but seemed to have fixed it.

Apparently its the solenoid that locks the rear drive shaft in I think

Check for your power light flashing on start / power on - This will show the error code.

I would also check for rubbing on the inside of the front wheels as if these are not a stock tire rim combination/size then they could rub on the inside of a guard.....

But it does sound some what normal to expect some bindage on an AWD vehicle at full lock and slow speeds :)

My Skyline (rwd) and STi both exhibit the same behaviour. In fact, a few other cars I have owned has done this as well.

I think the combination of slow speed when parking coupled with the rubber tyres binding on the road surface that causes the problem. Turn the steering from lock to lock with wheels off the ground and see if it does the same thing.

Well i just went out to see if it was the tyres rubbing and i couldn't get it to shudder! I drove around and tried full lock in both directions and it was absolutely fine. Guess it's not the tyres. Would this solenoid thing be intermittant or would it fail every time?

We only bought the car last weekend so i've contacted the car yard we got it from and they said to book it in with a mechanic in glenfield they deal with "Active automotive". So yeah, i will have to do that i rekon.

katie said:

I've booked it in with the mechanic. He said it's a common fault with the subarus and may just need some additive???? sounds like a bandaid fix to me ::)

sounds like it to me too, should not need an additive as it needs to be fixed properly,

DRFVDR']

I've booked it in with the mechanic. He said it's a common fault with the subarus and may just need some additive???? sounds like a bandaid fix to me ::)

sounds like it to me too, should not need an additive as it needs to be fixed properly,

Agree

ME also agree with this:[quote name='Shale said:

Mechanics see dollar signs oozing out of boobs.

Yep i have been screwed over by a mechanic before. Sux to be a girl sometimes. I think i will re-train and open a girls-only garage :o We can fix cars in our bikinis and charge shit loads hahahahahaha

Nah joking (about the bikinis).

Damn mechanic put the additive in but said if it plays up again to take it back. The thing is it was under warantee from the car yard (30 days) so the car yard probably told the dude to do a cheap fix. Pisses me off and i hope i can wreck it again so they have to fix it properly before it's out of warantee >:(