Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More RWD questions...different though

WRXONP

5 years at Ralliart (Highlight Reece Jones winning NZ championship in a group N evo)

5 years at Porsche (winning Targa with Jim Richards & 3rd with Will Sellers aslo Running 1000 hp turbos)

5 years speedway (9 features in a row, NZ champ- ,50,40,30 lapper etc. Too many highlights to list),

So I have a little bit of experience I guess.

Even though I worked at Ralliart I Love my Subs & have owned a few.

I don't go on this site much & try not to comment as can't be bothered with pointless arguments, Some times I just want to help as I have done a lot & wasted a lot of time with pointless mods.

Also very busy with kids & trying to build a race car on a peasants budget.

I should be done by next summer so i am looking forward to getting out on the track to the GVI Track days & Auckland car club track days. I am also looking forword to meeting some more car peole like my self at the Clubsub days.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98WRX (PEASANT RACING) said:

5 years at Ralliart (Highlight Reece Jones winning NZ championship in a group N evo)

5 years at Porsche (winning Targa with Jim Richards & 3rd with Will Sellers aslo Running 1000 hp turbos)

5 years speedway (9 features in a row, NZ champ- ,50,40,30 lapper etc. Too many highlights to list),

So I have a little bit of experience I guess.

Even though I worked at Ralliart I Love my Subs & have owned a few.

I don't go on this site much & try not to comment as can't be bothered with pointless arguments, Some times I just want to help as I have done a lot & wasted a lot of time with pointless mods.

Also very busy with kids & trying to build a race car on a peasants budget.

I should be done by next summer so i am looking forward to getting out on the track to the GVI Track days & Auckland car club track days. I am also looking forword to meeting some more car peole like my self at the Clubsub days.

by experience i missed out the "alot" part haha

and yeah man thanks for the info u did give very good knowledge...

Yea the 65/35 is the best mod ever & the sump is a no brainer.

I brought my center diff of this web site for $400. They are something like $8g new from Subaru.

That diff will fit in v3 & v4

What version do you have? looks like a v4

• General Member

i dont mind being wrong if it brings the proper details to the surface

edit : being on 2 wheels also indicated grip

RWD will have less grip if not setup proper and yes I have read your ditching this idea now

regardless info like this on the web feeds dolphins

Sorry Yea way off the topic but cool vid>

A wingless Sprintcar & Midget has the same basic concept as the top level RWD Drifters now do. The more rear grip you can produce the faster you will be going sideways.

The main problem a RWD Subaru will have to achieve a fast sidways speed will be Tyre size.

You would want to be around the 265 or 285 at least. (Bolt on flares 10inch rims with 25mm spacers would do the trick)

Either way the Subaru sump is a bad design & this problem is the main

reason why so many have run bearings.

Got to go now I have rear doors to chop up!

• General Member

not arguing any of that at all

just the original post / statement

WRXONP said:

hey guys so ive finnaly made my mind up about going RWD...

i will not be doing this untill i get a sump baffle though (dont wana run the big end bearing due to oil pickup failure)

normal or even idiotic street driving requires this mod - or track days without slicks blah blah blah hampton downs STI killer

admittedly I'm focusing on that single statement alone ignoring many other contributing modifications

WHICH means " I'M A PEDANTIC FUCKER " basically

:D

98WRX (PEASANT RACING) said:

Sorry Yea way off the topic but cool vid>

A wingless Sprintcar & Midget has the same basic concept as the top level RWD Drifters now do. The more rear grip you can produce the faster you will be going sideways.

The main problem a RWD Subaru will have to achieve a fast sidways speed will be Tyre size.

You would want to be around the 265 or 285 at least. (Bolt on flares 10inch rims with 25mm spacers would do the trick)

Either way the Subaru sump is a bad design & this problem is the main

reason why so many have run bearings.

Got to go now I have rear doors to chop up!

You cant compare a speedway car with a drifter, or ever a rwd road car.

Speedway is setup to go left. Design, setup, drivetrain, tyres etc etc all waaayyy different.

So please only compare apples with apples.

Yes you can compare them because this conversation is about going sidways & the more grip you get the faster you will be going sidways.

And the conclusion was you will need to run a modifed Subaru sump because they are junk.

So please read the complete post

Also by the way the spd way cars arnt set up to turn left the driver turns the car left or the brakes do.

The cars are off set for wheight & drive out off the corner

I stand by my post.

I said speedway cars are setup to go left. Unless they have put right hand corners in track now?

Would you compare a Streekstock to a sprintcar? Superstock to a Super Saloon?

How each of those classes get grip and go fast around the track is different between them.

Drifting requires to go sideways in both directions, so requires different setup to that of a speedway car.

So you comment of how a Midget has the same concept of a RWD drifter seems to be a mismatch.

• General Member

way OT thread will be locked - WRXONP has his info - your welcome to continue discussion else where

and I know I started it but keen to learn more about sprint-cars too :P

and I just noticed this :

JoKer']

not arguing any of that at all

just the original post / statement

[quote name='WRXONP said:

hey guys so ive finnaly made my mind up about going RWD...

i will not be doing this untill i get a sump baffle though (dont wana run the big end bearing due to oil pickup failure)

/quote]

normal or even idiotic street driving requires this mod - or track days without slicks blah blah blah hampton downs STI killer

admittedly I'm focusing on that single statement alone ignoring many other contributing modifications

WHICH means " I'M A PEDANTIC f***ER " basically

:D

should say NOT EVEN normal or even idiotic street driving requires this mod

• General Member

see all I have done is confuse myselfs

but wait - track days without slicks AND baffled sump is way less riskier to BEB

You will agree not a guarantee BUT I do rep Kingstars after all

why do ppl listen to me.... :D so many contributing factors

• General Member

mint I think I am in love :-*

still stands - ur 'basic' RWD converted WRX (sneaky LOL not even a STI 'au) looses grip and thus need gor Baffled sump no?

add a ton of handling mods/good tires/driver and yep I do agree a sump would be on my list of preventative MODS however

can you say flip flop?

C'Mon!! go RWD!!!!!!

im not sure i can go back to 4WD!! i do have a coupe though, (R180, dccd, CVs etc...) so i can swap back to 4WD by just putting the front shafts back in. that easy when owning a coupe

Ive found the car to be enough of a challenge to drive "quickly" RWD (not just straight line speed) that im satisfied with the limit i can push it to, if that makes any sense to any of you.

dont really need more power........ cant use all of what i have anyway

i have a locked 4.111 center diff thats welded if you feel like having a play?

Mattapo wants my DCCD. but not sure i can part with it aye. its like letting go of gold

oh and just do the baffle for gods sakes!! who cares how much lateral force it takes to starve an oil system, the main point is regardless of cost, a modified one works better than standard.... and is a cost effective mod with valuble benefits if you wanna smash out some corners........

ive just replaced my short block and that was no 400 freaken dollars let alone 200!!!

JoKer']

[quote name='jacsmiley said:

that easy when owning a coupe

/quote]

ok i'm listening now

how is it easier being a coupe over a sedan?

there are some really really REALLY interesting comments in this thread

well the easy part comes with the dccd that the coupe comes with. unless the said sedan has a dccd and controller? the center diff can be locked at the finger tips without removing the gearbox.......

remove front shafts. pull apart cvs... replace outer cv back into hub, tighten center nut. lock center diff in the cabin and presto. RWD WRX

the coupe is easier to convert to RWD is probably what i shouldve said. in saying that any (edit: any GC8. i cant speak for the newer ones))WRX that has dccd factory is. just depends on the diff (r180) etc.. to wether it will last witout breaking anything.

my coupe has been RWD for months and havnt had a cv or diff problem yet *touch wood*. mind you i do have solid rear bushes, control/trailing that are a must. but i still went a few months with the rubber

jacsmiley said:

oh and just do the baffle for gods sakes!! who cares how much lateral force it takes to starve an oil system, the main point is regardless of cost, a modified one works better than standard.... and is a cost effective mod with valuble benefits if you wanna smash out some corners........

ive just replaced my short block and that was no 400 freaken dollars let alone 200!!!

AMEN..

the conclusion to all this is if you have half a brain...no matter how u drive it... a 200$ baffled sump is alot cheaper than a new engine ;D