Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Seat bolt stuck, just spinning in its housing HELP

gazzy2000

upon fitting my WRX seats i was removing the old drivers seat and one of the seat bolts was rather tight, i CRCd it and carried on slowly, then it just started spinning and going no where.

I grinded the bolt off and have the seat out, but now i have to some how get the bolt out, anyone know got one of these stuck before and know the best option/trick to get it out then the best option to create a new mouting system for the seat?

and no, there is no real access to the nut as it is part of the chassis rail in its own little housing per say.

ghey! :-[

subaru-mania said:

Grind flush,drill out, then re-tap the bolt hole? mite have to go bigger bolt tho.. if threads to munched..

Yea dunno if drill and tap is going to do it, its a weird one, the bolt is spinning freely in side the thread but simply does not undo, it just spins freely. To me its like the nut and/or thread is inside a dual layer chassis skin and is just spinning in side the steel skin of the chassis (if that makes sense)

I drilled a hole at the back of the chasis cross rail and poked a screw driver in it to try and wedge/hold the nut while i try to undo the thread, but thats what i mean, its like the nut is inside the skin of the chassis just spinning losely... you cant even feel the hex of a nut with the screw driver..

Nasty

subaru-mania said:

oh, Have ya tryed yanking it out with a pair of vicies :P but i know the felling its Bs when sh*t like that happens when the jobs so straight forward!

um yea, i might have to get a bit more agro on it, that chasis rail sure is thick enough steel aye so i i'll give it a good yank n hopefully i wont rip the chassis skin. There is plenty of the bolt sticking out to grab on to.

Just dont wnat to pay sum one to fix it, coz i got the seat soo cheap it wud take the shine off my purchase LOL

thanks

If u had not ground the head off then putting a lever under the head of the bolt while undoing can sometimes help, unless it is the captive nut spinning then u are screwed,one of the gearbox cross member bolts did this to me in the legacy ended up having to use a hole saw to cut a hole above it and putting a normal nut on it

DRFVDR said:

If u had not ground the head off then putting a lever under the head of the bolt while undoing can sometimes help, unless it is the captive nut spinning then u are screwed,one of the gearbox cross member bolts did this to me in the legacy ended up having to use a hole saw to cut a hole above it and putting a normal nut on it

yea i tried the whole lever thing before i grinded it, used a farkin big jimmy bar..no go!

:'(

DRFVDR said:

try and see if u can punch the bolt thru into the chassis,if that dont work then you will have to try and drill and tap it,if that fails weld the fuker then drill and tap it :)

tried hittin it too, it just started dinting the steel chassis

K, i will get mean and cunning with it

what an absolute c0ck sucker mother farker of a thing :-[ :'(

thanks

CUDDAS said:

i wanna see pic's of the damage too when ya end up cutting it out gazzy :)

sounds like you may be welding in a replacement plate, it is one of the front ones isn't it gary?

haha, glad i am entertaining some folk :D yea, drivers seat, front right bolt (by the fuel flap lever)

ah, ha, yes now I know what you are on about! yes that is a bastard, I got a hole saw and slightly enlarged the hole, then I made up a plate with a hole in it and nut welded to the inside to fit in the hole then put it in, welded around it, cleaned up the weld with angle grinder, then painted over it, couldnt tell there was a repair done there, was on my vz I converted to rs spec and it was to be a track car so never got it near the wof man, but even so he would have to be pretty onto it to spot the repair, actually he would have to remove the seat to spot the repair and even then he would be hard pressed to tell

zarnah said:

ah, ha, yes now I know what you are on about! yes that is a bastard, I got a hole saw and slightly enlarged the hole, then I made up a plate with a hole in it and nut welded to the inside to fit in the hole then put it in, welded around it, cleaned up the weld with angle grinder, then painted over it, couldnt tell there was a repair done there, was on my vz I converted to rs spec and it was to be a track car so never got it near the wof man, but even so he would have to be pretty onto it to spot the repair, actually he would have to remove the seat to spot the repair and even then he would be hard pressed to tell

true sh1t, dam.. looks like i will have to take it into a garage to get raped up the arse price wise :-\

gazzy2000 said:

K, booked in with my engineering man tomorrow for a perk job, i will do his computers while i am there and he will fix the bolt and also make a cold air box if he has time..MINT!

He is an old school clever bugga!

The best of us are :)

gazzy2000 said:

K, booked in with my engineering man tomorrow for a perk job, i will do his computers while i am there and he will fix the bolt and also make a cold air box if he has time..MINT!

dude, you SUCK! get ya tools out and take to that bastard yourself! haha

zarnah']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

/quote]

dude, you SUCK! get ya tools out and take to that bastard yourself! haha

i dont have a welder thank you very much, not like you corn fed farmers LOL :D:P