Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy eg33 build questions

Green Machine

Hello, Im new around here but I have been thinking for weeks about what car would make a good every day driver/tow car to tow my race car and have come to the conclusion that a second gen legacy running a eg33 conversion would do rather well.

So because im new to subarus I was hoping people could answer afew questions, I have been doing alot of reading but there are still afew things I would like to know.

First off, Ill be buying a manual legacy chassis with a blown engine or there about to keep the costs down, Is there much difference between if I buy a non turbo 4wd model and if I was to buy a gt model? Im guessing the gt runs bigger brakes/sway bars but is there any other differences? Do they both run the same gearbox or does the gt run a stronger box?

On the engine side of things the swap doesnt look all that hard, yes you have to move afew things around and relocate the radiator but that looks easy. Wiring side of things shouldnt be that hard, just time consuming.

Is there anyone in new zealand who has done one of these swaps or anyone who has actually done a step by step detailed build? I found one company in nz who was building an impreza wagon eg33 but it looked as if they never finished.

Any info would be great thanks.

Buy a GT or GTB with a blown engine - a non turbo clutch and gearbox won't be up to the task especially if you're using it for towing

GTB's definitely have bigger brakes and swaybars (as well as Bilstein struts) and often run big end bearings so you should be able to find one without too much trouble

I would suggest you have a look at www.sl-i.net and www.rs25.com if you haven't already, you'll find a lot of info about eg33 conversions there

• General Member

Iknow a 1st gen with a 3.3 for sale...

The legacy...

92 VZ legacy stationwagon, high km, manual.

5 star alarm

Decent speakers (No headunit)

Has an EG33 in it - 90% running

Megasquirt ECU (whats giving me grief, needs to be changed to link).

WRX bucket seats, rails to fit BC/BF wagon

RX7 Series 5(?) aluminum race radiator

Sti rear muffler (fully muffler - not cannon type) has STi embossed on tip

Mitsi wasted spark coilpack.

Other random bits as well - ask and ill let you know.

Cheers for the info flat4, will check out those links once I get home from work.

And thanks joker but Id rather build my own as if im wise it will be cheaper for me as that person will more than likely be adding labour etc to the cost of there car. And if I build it then I know how to fix it if anything goes wrong. Plus I actually enjoy slaving away on a car knowing that the out come is not an common car.

Keep the info coming guys.

Started doing this :) to a first gen

got it to 90% then gave up :)

u will need a Body,An eg33,an ECU for either the EG33 or an aftermarket set up,

Problems we had was the exhaust,it needed either a NA crossmember and swaybar or a whole lot of cutting,I believe the BG/BD body shell NA's used the same cross member as the turbo in that it has only one exhaust cut out

I would rather buy a Cheap newer H6 and run that,or at worse put a Manual in it

Heres a Thread of what me and my son did

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,2089.0.html

Green Machine said:

Cheers for the info flat4, will check out those links once I get home from work.

And thanks joker but Id rather build my own as if im wise it will be cheaper for me as that person will more than likely be adding labour etc to the cost of there car. And if I build it then I know how to fix it if anything goes wrong. Plus I actually enjoy slaving away on a car knowing that the out come is not an common car.

Keep the info coming guys.

thats me.

to give you an idea, im about to scrap the body/motor minus a few parts (seats/alarm/speakers), and would be getting $300 for it. So if you are interested in picking up a CHEAP part project. with a lot of the thinking done, flick us a text. o21 742 7o5

Also reg is still live on the car.

Hell, if your in auckland near syliva park, and want to pop past and have a look, you can have a squizz at what ive got here/what obstacles you need to get past.

Youd probably still want to pick up a whole Svx to scrap for the motor/ecu to get going...

Been reading alot of builds about this last night, what I found is most people seem to get to a point in the build and just give up. For the guys who have done this swap or have given up doing it. Where is it you often get stuck? Is it getting the wiring done or something else or does it just take that long that you run out of enthusiasm?? Found a thread where a guy was doing a step by step wiring guide and even he stopped half way through argh...

Catsoup and me got prolly 80% thru had car running,then ran outta time/money/enthusiasm,wiring was fairly easy we ran the SVX ECU and had it running except the idle control (we just had to run another wire),exhaust and radiator slowed us down,the radiator pretty much has to go where the top radiator support is and has to be a skinner longer rad to fit between the lights,The exhaust outlets were pointed at the cross member so would take a heap of work,we considered flipping the left and right manifolds around and feeding exhaust out the front of the engine then around and back..

We blew the EJ20t in the GT on a sat morning and had the EG33 mated to the gearbox and in the hole by Monday afternoon, this was in a '90 Legacy wagon, not sure if a later model body has more space....

Anyways he wanted the EG33 for his Jetboat so was never going to be a long term project.

hahaha

DRFVDR - Sounds like we shoulda worked together.

I started with an Incomplete EG33, and put it together with a Megasquirt ecu.

Got it running - but it wouldnt rev nicely - spent ages tearing hair out - with no idea where issues were coming from...

Megasquirt is homebuilt - so possible dodgy point

Own wiring

Engine was unknown origin.

If i had started with a complete - known going engine/ecu setup (e.g. whole SVX) - would have been sweet.

radiator - a "rotary radiator" works well... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=355420571

Fits between headlights, under radiator support panel.

Exhaust - never had issues with crossmember?

I did start with a NA chassis - so already had cutouts for headers.

Powersteering pump was a bit funky- had to trim bonnet to clear.

Also got stuck on the "making it turbo" bit - the twin throttle bodies make it a lil tricky.

And on top of this - another project popped up (v3 sti - current hack) - so this went on backburner.