Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Steering shudder only turning left ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick rev ? You must not have red what I said . . So im going around an on ramp . Constant speed around 50k . Constant radius corner of around 90 degree left lock . . And it will shudder like a beast . Just lightly pressing the throttle (not raising the rev at all just stopping it from decel) the shudder is reduced allot . . U feel it through the floor allot . . . It wont do it under 20 k . . But on the note of a quick rev. Some times but not all the time on idle my power steering wont work (belts new and has fluid in it) and a quick rev will get it going again . . But I wouldnt think this is connected to the shuddering ?

i get your on ramps. 90degs il assume you mean the steering wheel not the wheels.. id hate the see that in action.

I still bet its your PS pump, im no expert on how they work i grant you but i think you will find there is a pressure release mechanism and that your pump is old / worn out. That is to say its releasing all the time and wont give you any 'power' steer.

The reason i bet its shuddering is because its giving you pressure on and off quickly so it feels like shudder, i.e the pump is actually working on and off quickly, although the belt keeps spinning like it should the mechanism is on the rack or in the pump - in the pump sounds more likely.

The slight rev for whatever reason is giving you enough constant pressure to override the release so it feels normal.

excuse my fanastic terminology, try a replacement good working pump - bet that fixes it.

Thanks bro . . Seems to make good sense . . While im at it ill put one of those remote resevoir pumps in as one day ill be going to a flip manifold. . . . If that dont fix it I guess its steering rack ? Thanks for the help any way bro appreciate it :)

got a new pump...havent fitted it yet..hopefully its sunny after work and thats me...after some more driving trying to figure it out...it seems to be the right hand side shuddering..just today had the wheel up and theres no play in wheel bearing or steering... but it was raining so couldnt be bothered checking further...

any ideas spring to anyones mind??

could sway bar bushes or links cause this??

checked the bushes by levering them and they seem tight

have a mate with a completely different car and he claims he had the same problem...

reckons his would shudder one way and not the other... he reckons it was the strut (strut cartridge play)

my shocks knock....so could be the culprit ?

has no one else honestly had this problem?

my $$ are on inner axle joint if you feel it through the body of the car

If you think its front end then swap front axles left to right and recheck - check grease in inner joints while your at it

(the inner joints wear and do not allow movement as required in a lateral motion - the inner joint then vibrates the engine/gearbox assembly)

OR do you feel it through the steering wheel ? in which case i'd be punting on a rack - usually servo seals worn or incorrect fluid )

so it defonatly cant be struts then?? seems possible to me?

but yeah just replaced power steer fluid

u do feel it slightly through the steering but u feel it more through the floor.. i do have a spare axle..i shall put it in this weekend and see what happens...

correct me if im wrong but while turning left, the right wheel will go up in the wheel arch which would want to push the axle inwards to the center of the car? in which if my inner cv cant move properly this would make the crazy shudder??

it does feel like the car is trying to push back the other way but it doesnt fight the steering wheel....

doesnt make sense i know but its not something very easy to explain lol

WRXONP said:

so it defonatly cant be struts then?? seems possible to me?

but yeah just replaced power steer fluid

u do feel it slightly through the steering but u feel it more through the floor.. i do have a spare axle..i shall put it in this weekend and see what happens...

What in a strut can make a vibration thru the car?

Knocking yes - Vibration - NO

If you swap the axles left to right, this will swap the loading onto the opposite side of the ball and races inside the joints (unused)

Make sure you check the inner joints for having plenty of grease while apart !

Just pop of the boot clip and have a nosey inside

• Admin

Mine did all sorts of odd stuff when the wheel bearing and hub on one side were completely shagged... does it make any squeaking/cracking sounds?

Note, there was no play at all, it sailed through a WOF and several hours of my confused mechanic playing with it until we pulled it all apart just to check it.

igkgunn said:

My car does the same thing at the mo, just passed a warrant too. I'm thinking it'll be buggered cv's too, but I think I remember another similar thread where someone found the issue to be in the diff.

loosen off the cv nut (32mm centre nut on the hub) and check for play in wheel bearing - there should be none with the nut undone

Tighten it back up after diagnosis of this fault - Should be mega tight !

IM getting pretty keen to sell this car ae . . Its the impossible to find . . . Wtf is it when you use light throttle and it goes away . Decel and it shudders and any decent throttle and it shudders . . But the lightest throttle and it stops ?

WRXONP said:

gave er a check over today.. both front wheels dont have any steering play (like rack end play) when feeling when the cars jacked up and wheel bearings seem fine and no play... i even turned the steering to the position it does it and felt it all and all is fine...checked both rear lower arm bushes and both are fine...

what else could be the cause LOL...

sway bar?

Thought you checked the front end for play !!