Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch problem

WRXONP

Soo yesterday my clutch was working fine . . Was gripping as per normal and shuddering just as normal cos its a exedy solid centre 5 puck with a 3000 lb pressure plate . . This morning I started it too head to work and it was gripping as per usual . . . Reversed down the drive way and went to drive down the road and had major clutch slip ? ? The clutch is all soft and it doesnt shudder ? So got 2 the gasy down the road and grabbed the clutch fork and I can with my hands engage the clutch ? My 1st thoughts are collapsed pressure plate ? But it made no sound or any thing ? So got it home and sprinted to the train station to get to work and that's where I am now lol . . What you all think ?

haha that 19psi mayb owned the clutch.i would say something todo with your release bearing,.did you use a new one when you put in a new clucth?

I didnt fit the clutch it was in it when I got it . . . Is fairly new as it has been gripinI right of the floor . . . So an starting to think its clutch fork or release bearing ? All though its slipping with the pedal right out which is saying it has no clamp force ?

Ive replaced a clutch on my old suby and I pulled the box but it would be easier to pull the engine . . Just need to hire a crane lol . . . . Makes it easier to do cam belt and rocker covers too while its out though I guess . . . . . Like I said you can move the clutch fork with ya hand . . . Am starting to think its clutch fork / release bearing but thats cos im just hoping its not my expensive clutch lol . . . It doesnt grip even when pedals out ? Collapsed pressure plate ? Might just replace that and release bearing

rex-leggy said:

pulling a engine takes about an hour once you have had the practice . hate to think how long to get a gearbox out.

true.isnt the gearbox setup samer as a rwd gearbox?i pulled my old skyline gearbox out without the engine comeing out.only took about 1 30 hours and are 2 tolift it back in and stuff.

subarus must be diffrent

theres an inspection bung on the top of the bell housing(if its still there) jam a torch down there and have a look .

you may not see any thing.

but you nay see a missing release bearing thats dropped off the fork?

dont think you can see past the clutch tho.

sti8u']

[quote name='rex-leggy said:

pulling a engine takes about an hour once you have had the practice . hate to think how long to get a gearbox out.

/quote]

true.isnt the gearbox setup samer as a rwd gearbox?i pulled my old skyline gearbox out without the engine comeing out.only took about 1 30 hours and are 2 tolift it back in and stuff.

subarus must be diffrent

yea mate way diff i used to have a r32t an there to easy to work on lol

hah i dont think brad will.my gf says the same thing about mine,yet does she know shel be gone before my car will lol ;)

so watch out meL.guys love there cars haha

Well in my case I wont have a hoist so the engine lift out the top seems way easier . . . As the loom just has 2 plugs . Drop the exhaust and bell housing bolts and the inter cooler piping and fuel lines and radiator and its out pretty much . . . . . Still dont want to do it lol . . Will look down inspection hole after work and see what I can see lol . . .

When my old wrx clutch died I dropd the box out the bottom on a hoist and I tell ya those boxs are heavy to hold up in the air ha ha ha . .. . . . And no I aint selling the car lol its only a clutch problem . . . Theres still worse to come lol . . . Plus Iv spent so much money on it to just sell it . . . . Pulling the engine seems good to me as I can do alot with it out

the box is still easier on the ground.. but its your car.

I had almost the same symtpoms as you just this week. We pulled the box and somehow the release bearing came away from the cage that holds it to the pressure plate.

clutch people said its a freak thing that happens on occasion - my clutch fully went floppy though - i.e fork came away all together. The snap ring off the back of the cage breaks off.

Through the inspection hole id imagine youl only be able to see if the release bearing is attached to your clutch fork and thats about it. We couldnt see what had happened on the pressure plate.

p.s harden up - 5mts are easy as piss. put in the 6mt and then tell me a 5mt is tricky

funkytown said:

the box is still easier on the ground.. but its your car.

I had almost the same symtpoms as you just this week. We pulled the box and somehow the release bearing came away from the cage that holds it to the pressure plate.

clutch people said its a freak thing that happens on occasion - my clutch fully went floppy though - i.e fork came away all together. The snap ring off the back of the cage breaks off.

Through the inspection hole id imagine youl only be able to see if the release bearing is attached to your clutch fork and thats about it. We couldnt see what had happened on the pressure plate.

p.s harden up - 5mts are easy as piss. put in the 6mt and then tell me a 5mt is tricky

wont say no to that!the 6speed boxes like farking huge compard to a 5speed

its algood thoe thats why yu got mmates brad!il help yu lift it out.im sure spencer wont mind helping out,easy as ;)

i put in a new cage that holds the release bearing to pressure plate, plus a new release bearing to be safe.

Might be different to your issue though - as my clutch was on the floor - and i couldn't pull any gear, the clutch fork was divorced from the clutch completely.

First pull yours apart to work out whats happened. Then go from there, theres no way to investigate it with out removing the box is there :)

Mine is a 6puk, unsprung, a 3200lbs pressureplate and a lightened flywheel - its a 6mt one though. But this matters little to YOUR issue.

WRXONP said:

Yeah man thanks for the info . Mine cant get gears really only just . . Had to start the engine with it in gear to start off . . . . Will pull box and take pics lol

is your fork floppy as, or has some 'pressure' to engage? pics would be interesting