Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Attn, ALL OWNERS OF CARS THAT HAVE AVCS

I have become aware of an issue, this is ANY engine (turbo and na) with AVCS

The issue is with the cam advance sensors (not the front cam sensor)

The sensors allow oil to leak out the top of the sensor (at the connector plug) - however this plug

is water tight with seals and the oil pushes thru the loom to the next connector which is also sealed.

So the oil keeps going thru all the connectors and loom and into the ECU

Yip engine oil in the ECU !!

Causes all sorts of issues from heavy det, lack of power, random error codes etc

Check the engine harness plug on the drivers side strut tower (big square 16 or 20 pin connector plug)

Note -V7 WRX on has a small plastic cover you need to remove to get to this plug -

ANY signs of oil in this plug indicates a failure of one or both of the sensors

I have found and fixed 6 of these in the last year now

Sensors alone are currently ex Japan and priced at over $450+ each !!

PM if you find engine oil in this connector plug, I have a fix for this fault

Cheers Rick

• 2 months later...
 Ichi Ban said:

I have become aware of an issue this ANY engine (turbo and na) with AVCS

The issue is with the cam advance sensors (not the front cam sensor)

The sensors allow oil to leak out the top of the sensor (at the connector plug) - however this plug

is water tight with seals and the oil pushes thru the loom to the next connector which is also sealed.

So the oil keeps going thru all the connectors and loom and into the ECU

Yip engine oil in the ECU !!

Causes all sorts of issues from heavy det, lack of power, random error codes etc

Check the engine harness plug on the drivers side strut tower (big square 16 or 20 pin connector plug)

Note -V7 WRX on has a small plastic cover you need to remove to get to this plug -

ANY signs of oil in this plug indicates a failure of one or both of the sensors

I have found and fixed 6 of these in the last year now

Sensors alone are currently ex Japan and priced at over $450+ each !!

PM if you find engine oil in this connector plug, I have a fix for this fault

Cheers Rick

Can bloody fool you too for a while...but once you know what to look for at service A?

Have stripped the cover back a wee bit on the plug beside the sensor then sealed again with a dab of silicone. its easy to sort out in future....You can see the leak clearly the next time!

AND What the hell with their cost I agree!!

Esp when they leak again about 30 thou Km later!! you get some very un happy customers and its not easy to explain...You get looked at like its your fault!! And fact is you are the one who has stopped the oil appearing everywhere/smellin the car out etc. Grrrr real annoying!!

That's is the ones :)

and the big grey plug in the 2nd pic is the one to see if sensors have failed and are pushing oil into the loom

Heres a close up of the L/H sensor

AVCScamshaftadvancesensorrearorLHhead.jp

(manifold does not need to be removed , but I thought it easier to show location of sensors with manifold off)

R/H sensor is mounted in the same place on the R/H head

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

I now have two 2 x sensors that have been modified and are gauranteed not to leak oil into the loom

These will be sent on a core exchange basis

This way you wont have your car off the road for days

Sensors are $180pr inc shipping to your door

plus a $200 refundable core exchange deposit upon return of your old sensors

So $380 up front with $200 refund

The std sensor is now becoming a huge problem,

Send me a PM to organise the modified sensors to be sent

Mattapo said:

i would have thought this would be a fault that subaru should bare the cost of, a recall style fault?

I'm sure all the owners of AVCS vehicle would like to think so, but sorry No

So it's either $180 for two modified sensors or $800approx genuine sensors

That will fail again in 5-7years

well i have just grabbed a torch and had a quick look and there looks to be a buildup of oil round the pictured sensors, the turbo side the whole top corner of the head has oil round it and on the sensor and the other side looks like there is oil on the outside of the sensor plug :(

I recently did this repair using Ricks sensors, they are great, and could see why the factory sensors were leaking and these were not going to leak.

Pull the big plug by the drivers tower and if there is oil in there I sugguest checking the ECU plugs.

the 2nd plug from bottom in my ECU had a very very thin film of oil in it, so hoping i have found it early.

anyways its good to prevent it from tracking oil further into the ECU.

the sensors were quite a task to get in, but after a lot of stressing and swearing I can say that its possible without removing the manifold,,, although I had my doubts during the swap,,lol

for $180 I would say its worth the hassle,,

brakleen and then contact cleaner in the main plug on the drivers side

and remove the water seal from the plug (that orange silicon seal in the plug)

This will stop the oil going any further at the moment

PS the oil may well have travelled to the cam and crank sensors at the front of the engine too

Will send you details of cleaning and wiring mods with the sensors next week

I need two days to do the turn around on the sensors after they are sent back to me and onther to get them to you

And it seems most guys want to do this over a weekend

It wont take long until they are booked out well in advance

the weekend of the 23/24 of this month is booked already

PM me with dates that suit etc and I post it up as booked for those days

Cheers Rick

• 2 weeks later...

When do you wan the modified sensors to fix your car?

They are currently in Napier for a workshop doing a swap over of sensors, will have them back on Tues and ready for you on Thurs