Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• Admin

Getting a new sub and amp. Looking at a 400w dvc sub wired to run 2 ohm. The amp i had been eyeing up does 500w at 2 ohm. Will this cope alright? Had a guy at an audio shop in tga saying it\'ll run too close to the amps max too often and wear it out prematurely, there any truth in this??

Andy_Mac said:

That\'s what i thought. Seemed weird, guess it kinda makes sense if you were maxing the sub out the entire time. Would distortion go up closer to the amps max maybe? Like give it a hiss or something?

depends. assuming those ratings are RMS, you should be fine.

Most subs these days are sensitive enough that listening to them at 400-500W continuously would be bad for your ears.

Just make sure you set your gains correctly so it won\'t clip at loud peaks in a track.

• Admin

Yea rms. it won\'t even be extremely bass heavy stuff i\'m listening to, just want to fill out the sound a little bit better. Will going to a higher wattage one reduce the chance of clipping?

My problem is the next step up in the range jumps up to 800w so super overkill and $200 more.

Had a couple of screws come loose and go walkies on the left side of my bumper (BG gtb) :/

Have some at home I think, but I need to replace the left side engine cover/under guard pieces since chch road wasted it. Will find some this weekend.

Question is, do I have to remove bumper to replace these? Is this easy? Just remove lights and so forth? May seem obvious but would rather not fuck anything tbh

sobanoodle said:

Looks like I\'m getting 2-pots + S401 backing pates (i.e no adapters will be needed to fit the 2-pots on my BH5 :D). Has anyone got a tool to press the hub out?

Anyone got this tool in Auckland? ::)

hub_puller.jpg

any other "driveway" methods of removing the hub?

so went to start the car this morning and no go plenty of power in the battery even hooked up another one to the jumper leads was trying to start just no igition so i think my starter motor is stuffed?

is there anything else it could be?

it was working last night when i put it back into the shed then this morning no go and of course i was already running late for work.

QRAF']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Logical thinking tells me its the starter if jumpers don\'t work.

/quote]thanks what i\'m thinking so just give it a smack with a hammer you reckon?

Yup but have someone try to start it while you beat it. Or rip it off and bench test. Also try a screwdriver across the terminals.

Also sounds like plugs might be fouled if you can smell fuel... my 2c

Edit - Probably worth checking that you are getting vaccum whilst cranking as well.

Found this - http://www.linnbenton.edu/auto/perform/no_start.html

Seems you have ruled out the battery being flat but might be worth chucking a volt meter on there and seeing what voltage you are getting when cranking also.

• Guest locked this topic