Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• General Member
 Rosssub']

[quote name='B4_685 said:

Thanks for the tip - I have a rattle on drivers side wheel,- might take cap off to eliminate it as source

/quote]

Check you Brake Calliper/Pad Keeper Springs too.

Good advice, I ripped my entire interior and suspension apart twice before I found it was my brakes rattling away.

evowrx said:

Not bearings or worn tie rods just had legit wof. Only noticeable around 100k so they wouldnt pick up on it.

Sweet, definitely Balance if worst at 100km. A weight might have fallen off? Or just from Tyre wear.

Bearings and Tie Rods will normally feel more like Tram Lining at speed in a straight line.

If "Tram Lining" is the right term. ;)

Rosssub']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

I thought the v3-6 had forged and v7 sti had semi forged

/quote]

STI Forged V3-6. V7 Semi Forged/Hypereurectic - Hypereutectic - hyprwhatevamagig.

V7 STI Piston Head:

965591_10151670099559872_1189984037_o.jp

According to Subaru Part Numbers listed in the EJ207 thread links.

This is a V8 STI Hypereuthectic Piston (Hypereuthectic is a Higher Silicon % in the Cast Alloy).

img_4717_p1.jpg

Forged are forged from a solid chunk of Alloy. Cast are Die Cast Molten Alloy.

Forged/Cast

ver7_piston2.jpgus_piston2.jpg

Forged/Cast

ver7_piston3.jpgus_piston3.jpg

JDM V7 STI EJ207 Pistons are Forged. ;D

The V8 STI pistons are a lot stronger than the early wrx stuff still. Not uncommon to hear of -300wkw on them just not as happy on the det front. There was the one paimei mapped in the uk dynos on here somewhere and that had lasted 18 months or so with the odd beating.

funkytown']

ross - its been covered many time, v7 pistons are not factory forged. they are hyper....

Sweet, ;D

So this was right:

[quote name='ADIKT said:

I thought the v3-6 had forged and v7 sti had semi forged

/quote]

STI Forged V3-6. V7 Semi Forged/Hypereurectic - Hypereutectic - hyprwhatevamagig.

V7 STI Piston Head:

965591_10151670099559872_1189984037_o.jp

Im running with V7 STI being forged. People have eyeballed them and sure I have pics of V7 STI vs V8 STI at home good enough to show differences but no webs till addy gets changed there end. STA\'s own pistons are hypereutectic too iirc.

scottspeed said:

This IS a V7 (bugeye) shortblock. yes these are the strong forged piston ones.

V7 has a raised centre section of the piston bowl

V8-9-10- have a circular dish and are cast.

Only the sti 207 high output blocks are semiclosed deck.

These cheap V7 shortblocks now have the superseeded parts from subaru in them, so normally have v8 onwards rods (tappered smallend) as well as the v8 non nitrided but crossdrilled main journal cranks.

these specs do change depending how old the stock is.

Talk from sti engineers is that when america was 1st launching the wrx bugeye cars, some head director specified the wrong STi engine code. This was to seriously effect the pricing so the order was changed to the correct basic wrx 205 opendeck, cast piston engines. Hence subaru ended up with a few ten thousand left over sti 207 engine assemblies, that they\'re still selling off cheap.

evowrx']

Im running with V7 STI being forged. People have eyeballed them and sure I have pics of V7 STI vs V8 STI at home good enough to show differences but no webs till addy gets changed there end. STA\'s own pistons are hypereutectic too iirc.

[quote name='scottspeed said:

This IS a V7 (bugeye) shortblock. yes these are the strong forged piston ones.

V7 has a raised centre section of the piston bowl

V8-9-10- have a circular dish and are cast.

Only the sti 207 high output blocks are semiclosed deck.

These cheap V7 shortblocks now have the superseeded parts from subaru in them, so normally have v8 onwards rods (tappered smallend) as well as the v8 non nitrided but crossdrilled main journal cranks.

these specs do change depending how old the stock is.

Talk from sti engineers is that when america was 1st launching the wrx bugeye cars, some head director specified the wrong STi engine code. This was to seriously effect the pricing so the order was changed to the correct basic wrx 205 opendeck, cast piston engines. Hence subaru ended up with a few ten thousand left over sti 207 engine assemblies, that they\'re still selling off cheap.

/quote]

The NZ Subaru Brochure backs you up too. "Forged Molybdenum." A term I haven\'t come across in 4 days trawling through specs. I\'m off to find out what Molybdenum is.

Pretty much looks like a Forged Alloy Piston, Coated with Molybdenum Sulphite.

Normally referred to as Molly - Moly Rings etc

Molybdenum Sulphate is pretty much Graphite.

So they are Graphite Coated Forged Alloy Pistons in the V7 EJ207. Nice ;D

boon']

[quote name='funkytown said:

ross - its been covered many time, v7 pistons are not factory forged. they are hyper....

/quote]

Fail Funky... v7 EJ207 got forged ;) v8 went to hypereutetic.

He said V7 not V7 STI so he may not be wrong here lol.

QRAF said:

does anyone know any sparky\'s in hamilton that are mobile? and the prices they charge?

I\'ve Pm\'d you my number. If all else fails call me if you want and I\'ll talk you through getting it started.

But there will be a Member very close that could come and fix it in 2 minutes, if you offer a Dozen Heineken.

Not starting/Crank Sensor CEL/Crank Sensor tests fine.

Has to be a dirty/loose Plug Contact, between the Sensor and ECU (only 2 wires).

Or Sensor isn\'t Earthing onto Block/Corroded Sensor Shaft=No Earth.

Or maybe broken wire around Manifold/Engine. Comparing Resistance of both Wires will show break.

well i\'m a noob an i can\'t find a fault or loose wire or short i\'ve swapped the coil pack the cam sensor and crank sensor and tried some different ecu\'s it fired on a gc8 ecu but then stopped and wouldn\'t start again.

And i can\'t find a nz new ecu to try and see if that is the issue. I have E3

yeah done that taken the washer bottle out and the 10mm to get the bracket off so i could give them a good looking at will get the multiple meter into them tonight.

I was just dumb and bought sounds and now my cars stopped so no point having sounds :P

QRAF said:

yeah done that taken the washer bottle out and the 10mm to get the bracket off so i could give them a good looking at will get the multiple meter into them tonight.

I was just dumb and bought sounds and now my cars stopped so no point having sounds :P

Did you install the Stereo? Is that when the Fault started?

• Admin
 Rosssub']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Did you install the Stereo? Is that when the Fault started?

I\'m betting so much it\'s this.

1. F*cks with electrical stuff

2. Car develops electrical fault

There is a causative link here people!!!

• Guest locked this topic