Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Rosssub']

[quote name='Divine said:

Currently getting 7K\'s / L is this normal?

14L/100km

/quote]

New Air Filter

Injector Cleaner

Upper Cylinder Cleaner

Check for Boost Leaks

Check operation of AFM/O2 Sensor

Check Spark Plug Condition/Ignition

Edit: Maybe also check for Exhaust Blockages? Also...

Are you running a Pod Filter?

Do you have a VTA BOV fitted?

Completely stock. Don\'t thrash it at all. 8k drives to work in traffic, manual. Factory 550cc injectors

Divine']

[quote name='Divine said:

Currently getting 7K\'s / L is this normal?

14L/100km

/quote]

New Air Filter

Injector Cleaner

Upper Cylinder Cleaner

Check for Boost Leaks

Check operation of AFM/O2 Sensor

Check Spark Plug Condition/Ignition

Edit: Maybe also check for Exhaust Blockages? Also...

Are you running a Pod Filter?

Do you have a VTA BOV fitted?

Completely stock. Don\'t thrash it at all. 8k drives to work in traffic, manual. Factory 550cc injectors

Must be time for a "Really" good service.

Disconnecting the Battery for a Memory Drain, or just an ECU Reset might help. So it forgets any bad habits it\'s learnt??? Also what fuel are you running?

Edit: Definitely check for Air Leaks/Vac Leaks/Boost Leaks though, especially around Intake Pipes etc. Messes with Fuelling/AFR

ADIKT']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Changing from single scroll to twin.

Will the turbo air intake line up still?

/quote]

Check with marc, straight swap from what I understand.

Ill txt him.

I have an ej207 v7 sti shorty with v4 ej20k sti heads with v4 sti intake manifold and under manifold intake.

If I change from single scroll to twin scroll (headers/turbo) will it line up with what\'s there?

Was it a Straight Swap?

Rosssub']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Changing from single scroll to twin.

Will the turbo air intake line up still?

/quote]

Check with marc, straight swap from what I understand.

Ill txt him.

I have an ej207 v7 sti shorty with v4 ej20k sti heads with v4 sti intake manifold and under manifold intake.

If I change from single scroll to twin scroll (headers/turbo) will it line up with what\'s there?

Was it a Straight Swap?

Havnt found out yet. Still need to txt marc

Ok hey guys, this is going to sound like a stupid question but its been bothering me for a while.

obviously in a N/A car the exhaust manifold goes directly to the exhaust piping

but in a subi everything is a little side ways. So the turbo connects to the exhaust piping.

but where do the extractors connect to? like where does it go and gases from?

do i even make sense ? ???

what better way to explain than with a sweet photo...

img1799qe.jpg

dsc_3518.jpg

The exhaust pressure and heat spin the turbo which compressors air which is cooled by the intercooler before being pushed into the intake for fuel mixing and explosion. After the exhaust spins the turbo it goes out the down pipe to the resonators/muffler sections.

Extractors connect to and up pipe

Uppipe connects to the bottom(feed) of the turbo

Downpipe connect to the back of turbo (exit)

mid section/ catback refers to the exhaust section after the downpipe

A++ great explanation would trade again

Divine your car is prob just the result of short drives and cold starts being most of its use

Mine would get 600k+ to a tank open road, could manage about 300 from a fortnight of short trips and not much else

These Pic\'s should be in the R16 Section. :o

slystiguy said:

img1799qe.jpg

dsc_3518.jpg

The exhaust pressure and heat spin the turbo which compressors air which is cooled by the intercooler before being pushed into the intake for fuel mixing and explosion. After the exhaust spins the turbo it goes out the down pipe to the resonators/muffler sections.

slystiguy said:

img1799qe.jpg

dsc_3518.jpg

You sir are a legend.. thank you

Trackday in 2 weeks, how do i disconnect the abs? I know there are two fuses? but ive also read one of them is tied into the power assisted brakes or something? gc8 v6. I think the ABS might be one of the reasons for my rotors overheating, plus now with semi slicks I can see it cutting in too early.

there is a big grey plug over by the ABS unit.. just disconnect it and it kills it working.

you get the ABS light on your dash but thats fine at the track. end of the day just plug it back in again.

Play carefully with it unplugged to begin with - its QUITE a different experience overall when you get to the point of locking a wheel ;)

Oh yeah will take it easy in the morning as itll be my first time on semi slicks as well, THe other 4 trackdays Ive done have just been on RE11 road tires. My last car didnt have ABS at all, which i never had an issue with locking brakes in 7 or so trackdays (besides spinning off the track), but it was only a little 4age levin with single pot fronts on road tyres, so a little bit different braking/VMAX ability.

Fair call. I used the BG5 Legacy at trackdays quite a lot and relying on the abs was never an issue. In fact the only time I ended up using it was on days when it was fair pissing down and then the abs gave me 2 carlengths on everyone else at the end of the straights. :)

However ymmv and your abs may kick it much earlier than mine did? (the bg5 had almost a 1st generation abs that only took over very late.)

[When I say abs I\'m meaning ABS not your six-pack

Im on the fence with ABS. Other day I had a crazy mf lady pull out directly in front of me (decided to change lanes at traffic lights from in another line of cars) when I was doing 50km and I had nowhere to go but over the kerb or into a line of traffic. Hit the picks and it locked up but managed to stop in time. If I wasnt looking I wouldve gone straight into the back of the b*tch. Had it lock up a couple of times in wet also. Been meaning to try it unplugged but havent got around to it.

• Guest locked this topic