Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Just had a quick look online and didn\'t really find much, should the 2000 V7 ej207 have the coil packs numbered FK0140 or FK0186? If they were the wrong ones could this cause them to overheat randomly? Didn\'t really find anything wrong when I had a look around, might have to finally shell out for someone to do it right..

Rosssub']

I\'ve gone back to the drawing board now, I know coil packs are either dying within 200km or at least end up not working properly but I don\'t know why, would some sort of electrical fault cause this? seems to be only on the drivers side so far, possibly just one of the 2 cylinders.

Check all your Earths between the Battery/Block/Engine Bay, something might be corroded or loose.

Check the Loom Plugs on the failing side Coils, make sure the Plastic Clips are there and the Plugs are Tight. Give the Loom Plugs a clean too, I\'ve found mine covered in Oil before.

Maybe even remove the Coils and Clean the Heads/Rocker Covers up, where the Coil Plate contacts the Head. They Earth through the Head, so Gunk/Grease/Corrosion will brake the Earth, causing the Coil to Overheat.

[quote name='Skatieguy said:

Just had a quick look online and didn\'t really find much, should the 2000 V7 ej207 have the coil packs numbered FK0140 or FK0186? If they were the wrong ones could this cause them to overheat randomly? Didn\'t really find anything wrong when I had a look around, might have to finally shell out for someone to do it right..

My BH5 COP are FK0140, AFAIK identical to V7. FK0186 possibly V9+?

I would guess no effect on Heat/Failure etc, just different fitment/Loom Plugs etc on the FK0186.

Are all Earths clean? Are Coil Plates and Rocker Covers clean? No Oil in your ECU Loom Plugs, at Coils and near Battery?

94 Leone said:

Okay;Vacuum pressure, 20 at idle is good, normal. What about my vacuum now sitting at 30 at idle? I know less vacuum at idle is bad, but no one really goes over the possibility of more vacuum. Car sounds fine at idle. Although there is the issue of water pumping itself into the overflow tank. Car reaches normal boost fine(Achieved this before I realised it wanted to throw water out and prone to overheating) Anyone else has had any encounters with excessive vacuum?

Cheers.

:-\

Have you got another Gauge to try?

Maybe the Cylinder Leaking into the Water Gallery is effecting Vac Readings?

Rosssub']

[quote name='94 Leone said:

Okay;Vacuum pressure, 20 at idle is good, normal. What about my vacuum now sitting at 30 at idle? I know less vacuum at idle is bad, but no one really goes over the possibility of more vacuum. Car sounds fine at idle. Although there is the issue of water pumping itself into the overflow tank. Car reaches normal boost fine(Achieved this before I realised it wanted to throw water out and prone to overheating) Anyone else has had any encounters with excessive vacuum?

Cheers.

/quote]

No other gauge to try( I\'d trust the gauge, as it did go up to 15 PSI). i\'d say that\'s likely, as reading up on engine vacuum, it\'s basically a reading of map pressure, minus atmospheric pressure, atmospheric pressure sitting around 30 InHg. no Map pressure at idle basically. I vaguely understand this, so I\'m sorry if this is vaguely written.

94 Leone']

Cheers.

/quote]

No other gauge to try( I\'d trust the gauge, as it did go up to 15 PSI). i\'d say that\'s likely, as reading up on engine vacuum, it\'s basically a reading of map pressure, minus atmospheric pressure, atmospheric pressure sitting around 30 InHg. no Map pressure at idle basically. I vaguely understand this, so I\'m sorry if this is vaguely written.

Yeah, no where near the same as picturing -10psi at Idle "type thing".

18-23InHg is normally fine. 30 not that far off but still surprisingly high.. :-\

Rosssub']

Cheers.

/quote]

18-23ish is normally fine. 30 not that far off but still surprisingly high.. :-\

Yeah: Well, I\'ll see what it does once I have a new engine and ECU for it to sniff. :P

need a J2 for the longblock I\'m getting.

94 Leone']

Cheers.

/quote]

18-23ish is normally fine. 30 not that far off but still surprisingly high.. :-\

Yeah: Well, I\'ll see what it does once I have a new engine and ECU for it to sniff. :P

need a J2 for the longblock I\'m getting.

That\'s the best possible solution. ;D

A J2 sold for $80 on Trademe last week. ;)

94 Leone']

Cheers.

/quote]

Wut

Does the gauge sit at 0 with the engine off - thats atmospheric pressure (1 bar). If it doesn\'t then your gauge is off, if it does you\'d assume it is reading fine

-30in/hg is nearly a complete vacuum. That said if you look at a boost gauge insides it\'s just a very simple spring sorta arrangement, they can be sent skewed pretty easy if you give them a knock

apoligies for bluntness .

whats do u do regarding rego on a stolen vehicle ?

it was like ten months out . woulda paid it eventually if i still had it

do i ring up and cancel it ? and have to pay outstanding ?

do i leave it untill its 12 months out and get cancelled anyway ? and not pay outstanding ?

no insurance etc .cheers

lachlan said:

apoligies for bluntness .

whats do u do regarding rego on a stolen vehicle ?

it was like ten months out . woulda paid it eventually if i still had it

do i ring up and cancel it ? and have to pay outstanding ?

do i leave it untill its 12 months out and get cancelled anyway ? and not pay outstanding ?

no insurance etc .cheers

NO - they will try get the money off you for a full years registration. They did it to me - I scrapped an old car - forgot to cancel/close off rego - they sent me a letter like 6 months later saying I owed them like $200

thought they might be doin that , homos

so how long do i wait before cancelling it or takin it out of my name etc ? thoughts ? and if i get it back and the reg is lapsed its no use to me at all then ?

open to suggestions

was a stock old 94 gt with 260 k on it so not worth much . whole or in parts lol

lachlan said:

thought they might be doin that , homos

so how long do i wait before cancelling it or takin it out of my name etc ? thoughts ? and if i get it back and the reg is lapsed its no use to me at all then ?

open to suggestions

was a stock old 94 gt with 260 k on it so not worth much . whole or in parts lol

Put rego on hold and hope they find it?

Otherwise I suggest calling them and telling them its been stolen - will need to tell them date it went missing n shit

Roo said:

I just put my rego on hold that was a month or two out and wasn\'t charged?

they have a grace period of either 30 or 60 days.

least thats what the woman said on the phone and my other car that had to go on hold was a 1969 which was about to lapse :o but no charge.

was getting worried id have a big bill for 5 cars haha

I hear that there is a change of regulation coming soon that will allow you to reregister any car that has been issued with registration in nz in the past..

This means not having to put stuff on hold and just requires a wof and proof of prior rego to put back on road..

Will simplify the process and get rid of the "hold" requirement..

• Admin
 pedro said:

I hear that there is a change of regulation coming soon that will allow you to reregister any car that has been issued with registration in nz in the past..

This means not having to put stuff on hold and just requires a wof and proof of prior rego to put back on road..

Will simplify the process and get rid of the "hold" requirement..

I have heard rumours along these lines too.

Will be handy for me as I have an interest in a de-reg shell that would be nice to make reg\'able again.

• Guest locked this topic