• Admin

You thinking of getting one sweed?

Heaps really. If JDM then the non spec b has;

5 speed gearbox, no r180 rear diff

Different bumpers

Non mcintosh stereo

No Si drive

Non bilstein shocks

Only single avcs 2.0l engine (according to my mechanic at least)

Different rims

Don't think they have the same rear tints, could be wrong though. The couple I looked at didn't have it. That's for wagons though so not sure of sedans.

Probably more but that's all I can think of right now

Andy_Mac said:

Different bumpers

Non mcintosh stereo

No Si drive

Non bilstein shocks

Different rims

Don't think they have the same rear tints, could be wrong though. The couple I looked at didn't have it. That's for wagons though so not sure of sedans.

Awesome, cheers man! Haha I wish! :P a mate is looking at BL's and tryna help him out.

Looking at replacing the original VF28 in my V5 next year as its getting rather noisy and has done some 230kms. Just want to replace with something similar. ie another VF28 or if I can't get one a VF23/TD05-16g. Any suggestions/tips etc?

BINKZ said:
Looking at replacing the original VF28 in my V5 next year as its getting rather noisy and has done some 230kms. Just want to replace with something similar. ie another VF28 or if I can't get one a VF23/TD05-16g. Any suggestions/tips etc?

read clint's VF for layman thread: good read up; useful info.

BINKZ said:

Grab the VF24? off boon cheap and blessed by murch and also you'll be running the turbo your ecu expects. VF24/28/29 are all pretty much identical. Dont go to a 16g unless you can tune for it.

Andy_Mac said:

Different bumpers

Non mcintosh stereo

No Si drive

Non bilstein shocks

Different rims

McIntosh was optional I believe, according to catalogues anyway. Are you sure about SI-drive?..

I'm pretty certain mine is not spec.B but it does have Bilsteins, and SI-drive.

tydon said:
So I've been offered an sti genome exhaust tip are these loud? Are the any good. Also looking to buy some oil for my v3/4 sti fully rebuilt motor what should I be using anything in specific

I just bought 10w-40 fully synthetic for my rebuilt V5 STi. But seriously, you will get about 900,000 different answers, its just something to make up your own mind about lol.

Talk to the rebuilder etc.

tydon said:
So I've been offered an sti genome exhaust tip are these loud? Are the any good.

Some people love them and will hand over body parts to get them - personally I think they sound shizenhouzen and look ridiculous but whatever floats your boat

More muted sound than your normal barrel muffler under light load and get quite raspy/harsh with foot up it, but next to no restriction and you'll never have a WOF problem with one

Functionally they're great, aesthetically I am not a fan (much like massive mudflaps I guess)

Marky said:
Some people love them and will hand over body parts to get them - personally I think they sound shizenhouzen and look ridiculous but whatever floats your boat

More muted sound than your normal barrel muffler under light load and get quite raspy/harsh with foot up it, but next to no restriction and you'll never have a WOF problem with one

Functionally they're great, aesthetically I am not a fan (much like massive mudflaps I guess)

+1 to that, had one on my GT-B for about a week and onsold happily - didn't like it at all. But yeah, each to their own.

sweedazz101 said:
This has probably been asked numerous times before so apologies in advance. What are the differences in a facelift spec b and a facelift non spec b (BL legacy). Cheers!

Andy_Mac covered most of it, some extras/clarification:

SpecB has (non-specB has instead of):

• 6 speed manual only (5MT or 5speed auto)
  • 18" alloys (17")
  • SpecB bilsteins (non-specB bilsteins, softer versions. Both use the same springs)
  • Aluminium suspension components - control arms (standard arms)
  • Aluminium, I think, pedals (standard plastic)
  • No rear-wiper blade. - I think all SpecB's do not have one (mine does not), LGTs do. Might be all post-facelift do not have them.
  • Moon roof/sun roof (unsure, maybe just an option but I'm pretty sure all SpecBs have one. standard LGT does not)

All post-facelift LGT's use the 2.5L (single scroll turbo) engine, pre-facelift LGTs use the 2.0L twin scroll.

All post-facelift LGTs use SI drive (at least I've never seen one without, maybe it can be factory removed).

Pretty sure all post-facelift LGTs use factory 5% tints on rear windows.

I believe all post-facelift have a Macintosh stereo.

Edited by PtPixel

Would be great to have all that info. Problem is JDMs are different to NZDM/AUDM from what I've seen. Which gets tricky what with all of the Jap imports we get. We seem to get less trim as standard, instead offered as optional.

NZDM/AUDM has post-facelift as 2.5L, JDM uses 2.0L

Also forgot to mention the front LSD diff for SpecB before

Edited by PtPixel

I've asked someone if they can help.

Clearly Spec.B was in 5AT and 6MT, cannot see much regardless Bilsteins spec'd differently, both Kenwood and McIntosh.

3.0R sedan is interesting though, no spec.B option at all but just went to check mine and alloy arms are there, as well as Bilsteins

Depends if you're talking JDM or NZDM though.

Everything I've stated is for 2.5L NZDM as I own an NZ new 2.5L specB.

Here's 3.0R SpecB 6MT:

Wagon (NZDM) - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-796723623.htm.

Sedan (JDM) - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-807656882.htm.

As I mentioned before JDM/NZDM/AUDM models all use bilsteins. SpecB use different revision Bilsteins. Sounds like you have a JDM 3.0R SpecB then, import & tiptronic?

Edited by PtPixel

sobanoodle']If you check those catalogues once again you'll see that 3.0R came 5AT only in sedan shape, and 5AT + 6MT in wagon.

Not debating those catalogues but that link above is a JDM 6MT 3.0R sedan?

[quote name='sobanoodle said:

Where did you find the info re: Bilsteins?

A while back on the legacyGT.com forums and from what I've seen on other non-specB LGTs. Someone put SpecB bilsteins onto their non-specB which raised the ride height due to the lighter weight of not having the 6MT. Wouldn't make a difference if they were the same.

• Guest locked this topic