Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• Admin

Not sure if it is a standard size or not but does anyone know the thread pitch for the bolt holes on a stock rotor for removing it when its seized on. Saw a post by rossub that said 8mm bolt for what he had but getting the pitch would save a fair bit of time and hassle. Cheers

Do any of you fine people know which gearbox and associated gubbins one would need, to convert a BPE 3litre Outback to a proper box, as in manual!

Some nutbar bloke what that I know is considering such a swapsies.

• Admin

Anything modern Subaru gearbox should fit without toooooo much grief.

Although from Mighty Car Mods and their "new" Gramps, they had to modify the crossmember to fit a GD series 6 speed.

I feel like maybe a BP Legacy 6 speed plus crossmember might be a better option.

Also if the ECU also includes the TCU (don't know if they're standalone or what) it will freak out. If the Legacy 3.0R was ever built with a manual, I'd try and get the entire shooting match (box, crossmember, axles (?), ECU from one of them.

Also the final drive ratio may not match the existing diff, so you'll need that too, and the driveshaft length may be different too.

boon said:

Although from Mighty Car Mods and their "new" Gramps, they had to modify the crossmember to fit a GD series 6 speed.

I feel like maybe a BP Legacy 6 speed plus crossmember might be a better option.

Also if the ECU also includes the TCU (don't know if they're standalone or what) it will freak out. If the Legacy 3.0R was ever built with a manual, I'd try and get the entire shooting match (box, crossmember, axles (?), ECU from one of them.

Also the final drive ratio may not match the existing diff, so you'll need that too, and the driveshaft length may be different too.

A good friend has a nz new factory 3.0 6spd manual 2009 BP wagon

boon said:

Roger, I thought that would be the case.

Pity manual Outbacks are rarer than toothed hens, they would be perfect for what he wants!

boon said:
BP Legacy is the same thing and manual ones are common as :)

True...

Wonder if it would be easier to stick Outback suspension under a Legacy.:D

He's after ground clearance, for ski-roads and the like, and is sick of driving 4wd utes.

Percy said:
True...

Wonder if it would be easier to stick Outback suspension under a Legacy.:D

He's after ground clearance, for ski-roads and the like, and is sick of driving 4wd utes.

I am guessing SI skifield roads :) And why does he need a manual? autos are way better in those conditions than any manual( I have spent a few thousands KM's driving in those conditions and prefer Auto all day every day)

DRFVDR said:
I am guessing SI skifield roads :) And why does he need a manual? autos are way better in those conditions than any manual( I have spent a few thousands KM's driving in those conditions and prefer Auto all day every day)

Now if a hi lo box from a legacy limited were to fit up to it...

He hates auto's, even in luxo-sleds.

And club fields, some of their roads are... dodgy at the best of times, let alone with snow on them.

He also like going into the boonies and running/ mountain biking in strange places at the end of tracks which a "normal" car wont make it down.

Percy said:
He hates auto's, even in luxo-sleds.

And club fields, some of their roads are... dodgy at the best of times, let alone with snow on them.

He also like going into the boonies and running/ mountain biking in strange places at the end of tracks which a "normal" car wont make it down.

Sounds like he needs an old leone wagon!

94 Leone said:
Sounds like he needs an old leone wagon!

He has an old Frod Courier now, which is getting unreliable!

At least a Leone has more thrash value than the Courier...:cool:

Plus you can fix almost anything on a Leone with zip ties and duct-tape.:D

• Guest locked this topic