Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Hi guys, could be a bit late to the party but help would be appreciated if you can!

currently have a 2005 Legacy B-Spott wagon on 18" Koya wheels, when I went to measure the height from the guard to the tyre to see how much I could lower it, I found that the front is 35mm from the tyre whereas the rear is 45mm from the tyre.

firstly, is this normal?

secondly, how does then I can only lower it 30mm and be stuck with the rear being higher than the front? Or is there a chance that my front springs have sagged and there would normally be a 45mm gap like the rear, so therefore I should buy springs to lower it as if there was a 45mm gap?

hope that made sense!

Cheers!!

I changed the oil in my 08 impreza today, and now the car won't start!?, I had to quickly move the car as I parked it in the garage overnight, and quickly moved the car 2m forward and then turned off the car and complete my oil change. Some posts seem to believe the motor has flooded, idk is that even possible on an 08?

12.6v on the battery, same as my sti at idle and that cranks. The ignition turns over but wont start, any help?

Edited by Disruptz

nothing unplugged, didn't even need to jack the car. Just drained the oil and swapped the filter, double checked it wasn't the trans or diff oil just incase:cool: annoying thing is as i stop trying to crank and turn the key back to ign is where it has that short burst of about to start each time, but doesn't.

• Admin

You've flooded it. Each time you try to start it and fail you just flood it some more due to the startup enrichment.

Most modern EFI cars have a "flood clear" mode, put your foot flat on the throttle and crank it, this will crank it with the injectors switched off allowing it to clear the cylinders.

Mind you you'll probably find that you'll go to start it this morning and it'll kick over just fine, because the fuel, being very thin, will have drained past the rings into the crank case... but unfortunately your nice new oil is likely going to have a dose of petrol in it. Pull the oil cap off and have a sniff, if it reeks of petrol I'd probably change the oil again.

Ok have been doing some reading and from what I've read an out back rear sway bar is 18mm and mine is a 16mm. Theoretically the should swap straight over I am assuming. My question is will that 2mm make much of a difference. Is it worth the effort and cost?

SpeedySub said:
Ok have been doing some reading and from what I've read an out back rear sway bar is 18mm and mine is a 16mm. Theoretically the should swap straight over I am assuming. My question is will that 2mm make much of a difference. Is it worth the effort and cost?

2mm made a very noticeable difference to my Forester XT. The one I put in is from the equivalent year STI, see this thread for the list of 2008 models that cross over: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?48823-STI-sway-bar-for-SH5-Forester-XT . Not much effort involved.

B4 I was 250T said:
Are the valves in V5 sodium filled like the RSK TT ones??

IIRC it's just the exhaust valves that are sodium filled. Guessing the V5/6 WRX does, same as the V5/6 STI and BE/BH TT. The valve faces should have ID3 on the intake valves and ED3 on the exhaust valves:

Broken_Valves_006.jpg

Need to replace pretty much all of the coolant hoses on the V5.10, what's the best way to go about it short of spending huge $$$ on Samco hose kits? Seen the Chinese knockoffs here and there for much less, but rather leery of that option.

Nearly all of them seem to have 90 degree bends that hose by the metre isn't suitable for...

Zenki said:
Need to replace pretty much all of the coolant hoses on the V5.10, what's the best way to go about it short of spending huge $$$ on Samco hose kits? Seen the Chinese knockoffs here and there for much less, but rather leery of that option.

Nearly all of them seem to have 90 degree bends that hose by the metre isn't suitable for...

Genuine will be cheaper than Samco?

B4 I was 250T said:
Are second hand forged pistons okay or do I buy new?

If you have them assessed by an engine builder and they are within spec, I don't see why not.

Of course they have to be the correct size for your bores after they have been prepared.

• Guest locked this topic