Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

B4 I was 250T said:
My tacho needle doesn't seem to go up under load and can be really slow to drop when off gas too. I think it's my clutch on the way out but can anyone offer any other reasons why this might be happening? Car is 99 B4 Legacy

This doesn't make sense

When the revs are going up, does the needle not move? That points to... fcknows really it seems weird, I dunno where the tach feed comes from (is it an ECU output or direct from the CAS?) but it'd def be an electrical issue of some sort

If the clutch was going, you would see revs go up, but not your speed - it "slips" like wheelspin if that makes sense.

Like... is your problem that your speed rises, and you can hear the motor changing RPM, but the tach needle is just doing it's own thing seperately?

Marky said:
This doesn't make sense

When the revs are going up, does the needle not move? That points to... fcknows really it seems weird, I dunno where the tach feed comes from (is it an ECU output or direct from the CAS?) but it'd def be an electrical issue of some sort

If the clutch was going, you would see revs go up, but not your speed - it "slips" like wheelspin if that makes sense.

Like... is your problem that your speed rises, and you can hear the motor changing RPM, but the tach needle is just doing it's own thing seperately?

Pretty much Marky. I can hear the engines revs increasing fine but sometimes the needle rev needle just stops moving (usually at the 3-3500 mark) and then when I take my foot off the gas the needle will not move or will drop really really slowly. Speedo moves fine. And this isn't always just sometimes. Maybe I clean the TPS??

B4 I was 250T said:
Pretty much Marky. I can hear the engines revs increasing fine but sometimes the needle rev needle just stops moving (usually at the 3-3500 mark) and then when I take my foot off the gas the needle will not move or will drop really really slowly. Speedo moves fine. And this isn't always just sometimes. Maybe I clean the TPS??

Sounds like either an error with the signal the tacho needle gets, or maybe it's sticky (??). If it's driving OK then I would hazard a guess that it's signal-to-dash related, not signal-from-engine if that makes sense

It won't be anything to do with the engine itself - like.... if you ignore what the gauge is saying, does it drive just fine (sounds like it does?)

Have you had the dash cluster out at all?

• Admin
 Sub Zero said:
anyone know how hard it would be to fit these into an 07 BL5 or if is even possible?

http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/lamps/products/head-lamp-set-aftermarket-legacy-03-06-hid

Being an 07 yours is a facelift isn't it? If so then there's not a chance without changing fenders and other bits, so not cheap. Or are you thinking of adding halo's to your current ones?

Marky said:
Sounds like either an error with the signal the tacho needle gets, or maybe it's sticky (??). If it's driving OK then I would hazard a guess that it's signal-to-dash related, not signal-from-engine if that makes sense

It won't be anything to do with the engine itself - like.... if you ignore what the gauge is saying, does it drive just fine (sounds like it does?)

Have you had the dash cluster out at all?

Yeah, the engine sounds absolutely fine. Had the cluster out a year ago to replace bulbs but it was fine until Monday :-/

Have you got a Zerosports sequential controller installed? If not and nothing has come loose since the bulb install, I'd guess a dry/cracked solder in the cluster itself.

The tacho gets it's signal from the ECU (pin 34/135 orange/white wire).

Rosssub said:
Have you got a Zerosports sequential controller installed? If not and nothing has come loose since the bulb install, I'd guess a dry/cracked solder in the cluster itself.

The tacho gets it's signal from the ECU (pin 34/135 orange/white wire).

No, haven't installed ZS controller yet. Ok, well I'll just have to keep an eye on it I guess. Will try and get a new (second hand cluster) and try that at some stage. Thanks guys :)

Andy_Mac said:
Being an 07 yours is a facelift isn't it? If so then there's not a chance without changing fenders and other bits, so not cheap. Or are you thinking of adding halo's to your current ones?

Ok haha yeh not gonna go there then. If was gonna be an easy fix then I would do it but might stick to my original plan of opening the headlights and adding some led light strip in them.

Cheers Andy.

Righto, another question. Will a TPS on it's way out cause hard starting? Car wouldn't start so I wiggled the plugs on things.. ie crank - then wiggle afm plug - crank - wiggle iacv plug - crank etc etc... my best efforts at a process of elimination here...

But anyway, wiggled the wire on the TPS and it started straight away - not sure if coincidental or not lol

Ah yep sweet as - How does one tell if it's aligned or not? I would assume 0v at 0% throttle or something?

Edit: it's only hard to start when it's cold / cooled down - this leads me to think my coolant temp sensor isn't working?

Edited by megamac

• Guest locked this topic