Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Don't want to make a whole new post, been advised to come here for B4 info, I've got a modified single turbo B4, mechanic told me to source an 01 STI ecu and he'll be able to work it up on my car. I'd paid for a V7 AH190 which I think is JDM 01 STI. Will this be fine? because searching through lot of the projects on this forum I see that everyone is using V5/6??

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'm getting noise that sounds like wheel bearings; the faster I go the louder it gets. It sounds like it's coming from the back.

I put the car up on stands today and both front wheels have up/down and side to side play while the rear have no play. Is it common to have all four go at the same time?

patrickc22 said:
My idle is fluctuating between 500 and 900 rpm I don't know where to start looking this morning I reinstalled the speakers had battery discontented it was for about 3 hrs car is a bh5 Rev c

Just need to do an ECU-idle control valve reset:

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php/topic/128159-how-to-idle-re-learn-after-battery-disconnect/

evljat said:
I'm getting noise that sounds like wheel bearings; the faster I go the louder it gets. It sounds like it's coming from the back.

I put the car up on stands today and both front wheels have up/down and side to side play while the rear have no play. Is it common to have all four go at the same time?

Not your rear diff or anything?

• Admin
 evljat said:

Not a clue but what would the chances be stuffed wheel bearings could be the cause of your speed sensor problem.

megamac']Not your rear diff or anything?

It's more of a humming sound than a whine.

[quote name='Andy_Mac said:

Not a clue but what would the chances be stuffed wheel bearings could be the cause of your speed sensor problem.

Thats a very good point. Might just bite the bullet and order 4 new hubs.

Mine idles like a bag of poo for a couple mins after a reset.

I just ignore it, drive it as normal and it gradually sorts itself out, i.e by the time I get to work it's happy again.

If it's really refusing to check you don't have a leak somewhere (if you had anything apart I guess)

• Admin
 patrickc22 said:
My idle is fluctuating between 500 and 900 rpm I don't know where to start looking this morning I reinstalled the speakers had battery discontented it was for about 3 hrs car is a bh5 Rev c

On my old BE5 i'd always just let it sit there idling for 10-15 mins then go for a bit of a drive round town and it would have sorted itself out by then.

What's the better primary turbo, VF 18 (BD/BG manual) or VF 25 (BE/BH auto)? Seems I have a VF 25 on the GT-B and I know of a cheap primary that I can replace it with. Worth replacing my current VF 18 or just keep it as a spare for when it finally dies? I'm mainly interested in primary spool/power and the one least affected by VOD if the primary actually matters in that regard.

looking at a 2007 5EAT 3.0 spec b wagon tomorrow. facelift with si drive :)

anything out of the usual to look out for? car has done 160km, fresh import, no service history available to the best of my knowledge. looks f**king tidy though, no plastic under tray which makes checking the rocker covers a bit easier i guess

• Admin
 kwi_fozze said:
looking at a 2007 5EAT 3.0 spec b wagon tomorrow. facelift with si drive :)

anything out of the usual to look out for? car has done 160km, fresh import, no service history available to the best of my knowledge. looks f**king tidy though, no plastic under tray which makes checking the rocker covers a bit easier i guess

Watch out for clunky 3-4 shift. Check if it has alloy control arms or steel - if they're steel, look out for rust in them if it's from a snowy area, also around the rear subframe diff mounts and outriggers.

coolies, been doing some reading on LGT website last night, not many definitions released for the 3.0 autos, might get lucky with ecuflash definitions. just makes it a bit harder to retune. don't like using ecuflash, basically because of the colour scheme which I know I can change. lots of free and cheep tinkerings... think the first will be an aux in cable, snorkelectomy and sub replacement. have a small soundstream under seat sub which I may or may not be able to splice in to the existing sub outputs on the factory headunit.

new speakers... its a cruiser, I know, but want it as comfortable as possible with plenty of the flat 6 dort LOLOL

yep, full engine rebuild then having to do clutch (again) less than 3000 later has left me in a bit of a bind. engine rebuild completed 1 week before I flew to England for 5 weeks, you do the math lolol

plus, been looking at going the ez30r route for a while. gives me a chance to get back on even keel and put some cash away for a track car.

tl;dr

pushing limits with the sti in the first place, situation conspired against me to the point of serious overextension of means.

• Guest locked this topic