Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Thinking about getting the personal plates. Wondering that after I got the new plate, what happen with my current plate? Is it compulsory to send it back to govt or I can keep it? If that's legal, I want to keep it and put it back on when I sell the car so the personal plate will come with me to the next car then

McDoof said:
You can take your personal plate with you by switching back to a standard plate before you sell the car and they will issue a new plate to your car. I don't think you can keep your old plate though.

Thanks mate, so when I sell the car, I need to pay $300 for the standard plate aye?

McDoof said:
No, it costs like 20c or something stupid like that. I remember it being really cheap

From memory its about $17, that might be per plate though, so $34 a car?

I had to replace one due to accident damage once, it was about 10 years ago though, info might be on the LTSA website somewhere.

Percy said:
From memory its about $17, that might be per plate though, so $34 a car?

I had to replace one due to accident damage once, it was about 10 years ago though, info might be on the LTSA website somewhere.

Seem to remember it being cheaper than that. But then again that could have been the cost for moving the personalised plates to a new car. It was a while ago. The plates are currently gathering dust in the garage.

Hey guys, just smell something like burnt somewhere after got home, I checked but nothing wrong, engine oil temp and water temp both good, oil level good, no leaking underneath. Normal drive, just have to stop emergency as a dumbass try to get into my lane when I going down hill at about 30 - 40 kmh (he was stop at red light traffic before get into my lane).

Only thing I noticed is that the coolant level is quite low in the expansion tank (about 1/2 between empty and low level). Coolant level under radiator cap seems ok. After few hours, I check it again while the engine is cold and the coolant level is pretty much the same as before, 1/2 between empty and love level. I just topped up the coolant 1 month ago and pretty sure that it get to full line on the tank. No sign of visual leak, is it normal or I should buy some coolant to top up again?

Rosssub said:
Mines always spot on the cold mark when cold and the hot mark when hot. Top it up and keep a good eye on it, maybe replace the radiator cap if you haven't yet.

I'm using the aftermarket radiator cap and it seems no leaking until now.

Bought some coolant and top up, it was fine until I tried to put the HKS BOV to test for leaking again. After installed the HKS BOV, found out that the valve open while idle that cause leaking. Manual tested the valve yesterday and it hold boost quite good so not sure if it the bov leaking or the car still set up for bpv and as I know the bpv will open while idle. Will put it back when do the ecu reflash and tune for BOV to see if the problem still there.

After fire her up to test the bov, the coolant drop from full to low line in the expansion tank (only top up before install bov so probably it doesn't like the bov), will top up again tomorrow and see if this still happen or not. Anybody have an idea while it burn out all the coolant? Only idle for 5 mins. Seems to have leak in exhaust as well, just water so hopefully it because of cold start, if it still leaking tomorrow, will bring her to health check.

You have water coming out of your exhaust and your coolant level is dropping? I'm going to take stab at this one and say that you have probably got a leaking head gasket. Take your car to a mechanic and have your cooling system pressure tested.

You can't "tune" for a BOV either, Sounds like yours is simply faulty

A blow off valve won't make your car eat coolant, unless as above it leaking has managed to cause the motor to ping it's way to a damaged head gasket (via leaking boost = super hot turbo output temps, leaking in vacuum = unmetered air and maybe lean conditions?)

pmkhoi said:
I'm using the aftermarket radiator cap and it seems no leaking until now.

Bought some coolant and top up, it was fine until I tried to put the HKS BOV to test for leaking again. After installed the HKS BOV, found out that the valve open while idle that cause leaking. Manual tested the valve yesterday and it hold boost quite good so not sure if it the bov leaking or the car still set up for bpv and as I know the bpv will open while idle. Will put it back when do the ecu reflash and tune for BOV to see if the problem still there.

After fire her up to test the bov, the coolant drop from full to low line in the expansion tank (only top up before install bov so probably it doesn't like the bov), will top up again tomorrow and see if this still happen or not. Anybody have an idea while it burn out all the coolant? Only idle for 5 mins. Seems to have leak in exhaust as well, just water so hopefully it because of cold start, if it still leaking tomorrow, will bring her to health check.

Not sure if this will help, but I had issues with getting air into the system, it looks like the overflow pipe was letting air into the system causing it to sporadically over heat ( have you noticed any coolant near the radiator cap?. Sometimes it would just spike for a few seconds sometimes a little longer. Have you tried to bleed the cooling system? Not sure of water in exhaust, maybe condensation?

Well, after installed the bov, i just run at idle, rev to about 2 ~ 2.5k max so hopefully it not damage anything.

As for the coolant, I did a check today before and after driving to work, seems like it normal now, stay at the same line I topped up last night. No sign of coolant near radiator cap or anywhere in the engine bay.

Also did a few checks for head gasket, oil color normal, no bubble in radiator while the engine is running at warm, she runs fine, no overheat and accelerator still strong. no sign of exhaust leaking this morning so hopefully the head gasket is still good but will have my eyes to check if anything wrong and will bring her to my mechanic.

For the BOV tune, did some research a while ago and they told that it can be tune to fool the engine that the air is not recirculate back, but maybe BOV sound is not worth to all the mess. Lesson learned, will stay away from the BOV, maybe get the 50/50 valve if I'm bored

Anyway, thanks guys for all your inputs

Edited by pmkhoi

• Guest locked this topic