Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

21mm vs 22mm Rear Sway bar?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends if they are the same brand bar, if they are then you MAY notice a difference if you are on the track. If they are different brands who knows, the zerosports ones are apparently not as stiff as other brands as they are hollow to make them lighter, so a 24mm in them may be similar to say a 22m in a Whiteline for example anyway.

If you are keen on more track time then an adjustable one is a good bet too....allows for a bit more fine tuning.

haha

pretty sure no one can tell you exactly how a small change is gonna effect your car.

start on the 21. fang it around the track and learn the car.

change to the 22 and repeat. see if you like it, or if you can even tell the difference.

Bro, if it is those pink's, I'd snap em up. 1mm cant be that major can it? Doubtfull.

Waste no time.....

so you can hook me up with your old mounts :-[

U'd be suprised how 1mm can make a huge difference, suspension setup is a tricky thing as there are sooo many aspect to consider.

I'd recommend getting an adjustable rear sway bar as that gives you more options, otherwise I'm currently running a 22mm rear whiteline bar. But am looking at changing this setup in the not too far distance.

WRXER said:

U'd be suprised how 1mm can make a huge difference, suspension setup is a tricky thing as there are sooo many aspect to consider.

I'd recommend getting an adjustable rear sway bar as that gives you more options, otherwise I'm currently running a 22mm rear whiteline bar. But am looking at changing this setup in the not too far distance.

let me know when you change your setup bro, i could be quite keen for those parts

Guest loren
 BC5RA said:

For starter's you shouldn't run a stiffer front swaybar, perhaps you should read up on Suspension 101

That's a great big sweeping generalisation which means precisely nothing.

Putting the thicker of two swaybars on the front of a WRX is generally going to promote understeer isn't it? If you 'loosen' the rear end relative to the front, it theoretically has more grip at the back. I would imagine that to be undesirable unless something like lots of toe-in at the rear was already making it super oversteery?

Guest loren
 GC8E2DD said:

Putting the thicker of two swaybars on the front of a WRX is generally going to promote understeer isn't it? If you 'loosen' the rear end relative to the front, it theoretically has more grip at the back. I would imagine that to be undesirable unless something like lots of toe-in at the rear was already making it super oversteery?

It will reduce initial turn in only. less load on outside wheel due to less roll will mean more grip and less understeer.

but, you can read all about this stuff in a million threads on the interweb.

How gracious..

Subaru's will benefit greatly from increased bar rate in the rear as they a tuned to under steer from factory, by increasing the rate at the rear and then stiffening the front more so than the rear will undo the purpose of the upgraded rear swaybar.

In the case of an RS Legacy, they tend to put more cornering emphasis on the outside rear wheel, and so a higher bar rate in the rear will yield a more neutral, stable and pointy ride.

Uprated front anti roll bar = more understeer

Uprated rear anti roll bar = neutral to oversteer

Of course this depends from what wheels are driving the car (RWD,FWD etc)

Flame away champ.

loren said:

It will reduce initial turn in only. less load on outside wheel due to less roll will mean more grip and less understeer.

I love these kind of discussions, me and koom had a good discussion about it once. In which it was pointed out that one could digress that in fact u are not increasing grip, but reducing it is u are reducing the grip in the rears to cause oversteer.......

Just my 2 cents, some food for thought.

Guest loren
 WRXER']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

I love these kind of discussions, me and koom had a good discussion about it once. In which it was pointed out that one could digress that in fact u are not increasing grip, but reducing it is u are reducing the grip in the rears to cause oversteer.......

Just my 2 cents, some food for thought.

Yeah, two conflicting ideas... one says increasing the rear bar off loads the front - increasing front grip,

and the other says it just decreases the rear grip... so you are changing the handling bias, but buy reducing

overall grip, which is bad.

Honestly though, it's pointless me adding to the mess of the interweb. I experiment with my car to try make it corner

better, and know what results I've had... in order to be authoritative you need a lot of race experience and a lot more understanding of the physics involved... even then, there are conflicting theories abound.

guys - im happy and interested to hear what everyones thoughts are, not it to get personal about you to..

So can we keep it on subject please.

I think based on the material thus far, a 22mm rear is the way to go.. and something like a 20 or 21 front. 24 rear would be a little extreme (with matching 22m front)..

FWIW

I have played with thicker front ARBs on 1st and 2nd Gen Legacys and a type R.

Its a definite handling improvement imo

To me a 21mm rear bar isn't worth it, isn't the stock Sti bar 20mm ?

Qwerty said:

FWIW

I have played with thicker front ARBs on 1st and 2nd Gen Legacys and a type R.

Its a definite handling improvement imo

To me a 21mm rear bar isn't worth it, isn't the stock Sti bar 20mm ?

yer i wondered that..

I think i am going to get a 22mm rear adjustable whiteline bar.. and a standard 22mm front.. but waiting to hear on prices.

Qwerty - what do you mean front ARB's? (front adjustable rrrrr..(ummm) bar)? i assume..

and yes i understand that my car run a 20mm front already and a 19 rear

so 22 front and 22 adjustable rear will make some difference?

Il like to conquer some of that understeer (mainly for the track).. and hoping i can still get that with 22 front and rear, however seeing guys just with 22 rear bars i dont want it just letting go all the time.

I dont have dccd either so hard to get the rear to push

Guest Fastfour
 BC5RA']

[quote name='Tony said:

I would get the 22mm adjustable rear bar and play around with that first... go to the track, start with it on the softest setting and see if it helps, then go from there...

/quote]

Best advice so far.

Amen