Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

21mm vs 22mm Rear Sway bar?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my personal experience with sway bars is that i put a 22mm adjustable rear bar on my wrx wagon on the hardest setting which i believe to be equivalent to 24mm (its a whiteline bar) and the handling is very very neutral, when pushed too hard into a corner it just goes sideways unless you upset it by giving it some lift-off oversteer too late in the game

Guest loren

A 24mm rear bar felt much much bigger than a 22mm on my car. I took it off after one track day...

was a wet track day I must admit, but it was pretty undrivable.

Guest boostcut

imo the rear sway bar makes a shit load of difference.... i worked with a race team at an endurance race at puke once and it started raining.... the pit manager wanted us to remove the swaybar!!! as it made the tyres work more and get more heat into them...

boostcut said:

i worked with a race team at an endurance race at puke once and it started raining.... the pit manager wanted us to remove the swaybar!!! as it made the tyres work more and get more heat into them...

yep, in wet conditions I undo both my swaybars (just take 1 link off each bar and cable tie it up out of the way). Car feels a bit sloppy, but definately works the tyres and makes the car feel grippier in greasy conditions.

Guest loren
 Tony']

[quote name='boostcut said:

i worked with a race team at an endurance race at puke once and it started raining.... the pit manager wanted us to remove the swaybar!!! as it made the tyres work more and get more heat into them...

/quote]

yep, in wet conditions I undo both my swaybars (just take 1 link off each bar and cable tie it up out of the way). Car feels a bit sloppy, but definately works the tyres and makes the car feel grippier in greasy conditions.

Interesting... I'll have to try that.

I've been told that DIY in car adjustable swaybars is pretty easy... it's on my list of things to try one day.

Guest loren
 funkytown']

[quote name='loren said:

A 24mm rear bar felt much much bigger than a 22mm on my car. I took it off after one track day...

was a wet track day I must admit, but it was pretty undrivable.

/quote]

what did you go back to? And what do you mean undrivable?

almost no rear grip at all. went back to the 22mm.

Guest loren
 Optical']

[quote name='loren said:

I've been told that DIY in car adjustable swaybars is pretty easy... it's on my list of things to try one day.

/quote]

?!

ive seen it before but didnt think it was easy...

got any more info?

I can't quite figure out how it would be easy now, but I'll talk to the guy again... he wasn't talking specifically

about subaru... I think he did it in his mini, and his father builds speedway cars... brother has a nissan race

car they have built together...

Guest loren
 Munkvy said:

Loren - Rogers version of easy might be a little harder for the average joe....

Yeah, I was going to add that, but thought I'd ask him first :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my bars on.. went with a 22mm adjustable rear and a 22m non adjustable front.

The story

First i put on my new rear strut brace and then:

#1 I put the rear on at medium setting and went for a drive - felt so much different for the better, lots more turn in and a touch oversteery, litterally point and shoot. was rather impressed

#2 Then went to change the front bar and realised i didnt have the 22mm bushes.. had no front bar for a couple of days while i ordered them. Car was disasterous to drive.. as i thought it would be. Couldnt tell if it was under or over.. but just plain unpredictable - nasty nasty

#3 got the bushes and attached front bar - Car now cocks a rear leg going over lumpy things and its very stiff, Went for a tickle and its back to understeering (as predicted). Is more balanced and much nicer than it was stock but still a bit under-steery. overal gains made.

#4 plan is to lift the rear up and put rear bar to hard setting, attach underframe K brace, and b-pillar brace and test. predicticing stiffer body and back to more turn it (well i hope so)..

**NOTE: only road tested to date in safe/legal conditions, not track tested.

***NOTE: please no flamage for the obvious comments - its just my story to date and i figure it might be of use to those learning about suspension set up as i have been for a few months.

BC5RA said:

For starter's you shouldn't run a stiffer front swaybar, perhaps you should read up on Suspension 101

Thats a bold statement

I run a 24mm front bar and an adjustable 22mm rear bar and my car handles brilliantly. I do have DCCD though

Stoffa']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

For starter's you shouldn't run a stiffer front swaybar, perhaps you should read up on Suspension 101

/quote]

Thats a bold statement

I run a 24mm front bar and an adjustable 22mm rear bar and my car handles brilliantly. I do have DCCD though

Yes.. thats already been pointed out.

Would you go ahead and put a thicker front sway bar on your FWD bias Subaru?

BC5RA']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

Thats a bold statement

Yes.. thats already been pointed out.

Would you go ahead and put a thicker front sway bar on your FWD bias Subaru?

Depends on your suspension setup and what your rake and corner-weight's are.

Also depends alot on how you drive, where you're driving and what the main use of the car is.

It "could" be the best addition to someone's car (depending on how it is currently setup).

Sweet good to hear ur results mate, at least with understeer u can control it alot better then viscous oversteer on which the rear end just whips out on u...... or even worse u have both lol vicous understeer into corner and on the power vicous oversteer out of the corner. So hopefully I have a much more neutral setup for next thursday's racing, will post up on here my results.

WRXER said:

Sweet good to hear ur results mate, at least with understeer u can control it alot better then viscous oversteer on which the rear end just whips out on u...... or even worse u have both lol vicous understeer into corner and on the power vicous oversteer out of the corner. So hopefully I have a much more neutral setup for next thursday's racing, will post up on here my results.

yer wicked.. I suspect i will have just that.. understeer in.. and the over out on a track. I dont have anywhere i can test if with out MR plod having a wobbly.

I do need to adjust the rear to hard setting tho. I pushed it this morning when it was a little greasy for more experimentation.. and it completely plowed straight on. I think this will make it 24m equivalent.

Have you chagned to that 24mm for this meet? or just 22mm rear.. (and front)?

Currently still just have the 21mm sti front sway bar and 22mm rear whiteline sway bar, done alot of adjustments in last few months with the likes of wheel alignment, rear adjustable control arms and that alone has changed the whole handling aspect of my car. So for now holding back on changing to much more til I get more track time down and know what area's need work on.