Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Safe to use Redline Lightweight Shockproof

Looking for some advise on using Redline to hide a crunchy 4th gear.

I have a Legacy GT BP5 5 spd that has started to grind a bit going from 3rd to 4th. I haven't owned it long and am pretty p1ssed that this has started happening.

I changed the gearoil last weekend with fresh Castrol Multitrax, could only find 80w90 (not the recommended 75w90) and now the crunch is worse >:(

So, I talked to some gearbox rebuilders, who say redline is no good and I should fork out for a rebuild instead. I know thats the 'best' thing to do but I'm not ready to splurge another grand on it.

What I want to know is... is it okay to use this oil on subaru trans? should I go straight LW shockproof or do a blend (50/50 redline and 75w90)?

Is this stuff going to cause more probs in the box? or are the rebuilders just trying to take ma cash

I've googled and most results seem to say its ok, but there is the odd one saying "don't do it". Some are suggesting don't go straight redline, use a cocktail instead, others are saying get Subaru Extra-S (I did ring Armstrong about this, they had no idea what I was on about :-\)

Any advice, suggestions or horror-stories would be greatly appreciated

everyone's mileage varies when it comes to oils, so in the end you will have to make up your own mind.

i run a mechanical plate front diff, and find the shockproof tends to get very 'grippy' when it warms up. i have heard for this reason its harsh on syncros.

if your 3/4th syncros are worn, then imo money spent on oil products is better spent on repairing the problem.

it may be another fault, for example a selector fork could be slightly bent. can you double-clutch-rev-match it into gear cleanly?

DRFVDR said:

Changing the OIL,may mask the problem of a bad syncro but will never fix the problem,either live with it or fix it properly :)

^ 1+

Ive use Redline Lightweight (no blending/mixing) and not had any problems. I rate it very highly.

The heavyweight oil is too thick for everyday road use.

End of day you have a bigger problem which no amount of oil will fix.

kamineko said:

syncros

overrated

i say live with it

But to add, i had some medium gearbox fluid (75w90 castrol) now have changed to cheapest stuff i could get (75w90 repco brand or something) and syncros got worst.

whoa! thanks all for replying :D

If I slow down my shift from 3rd to 4th then yes, there is less grind. I cant really say I've tried double clutching, but will give it a go and see if it helps. Oh, and grinding gets worse when it warms up.

DRFVDR said:
Changing the OIL,may mask the problem

Yup, totally agree, I know oil's not going to fix the underlying issue, otherwise the new mutlitrax should have at least helped, not made it worse! I kinda regret changing that now.

Guess I just want a 'band-aid' solution until I'm better prepared to pay for the box to be dropped and repaired. Lightweight Redline sounded like the way to go. Maybe not?... My fear is putting it in and finding that its created a bigger problem when it comes to repair time.

Sounds like I'm best to put up with it for a while. :-\

• 4 weeks later...

My v5 sti box was notchy between the gates I when I bought it, I changed to the light weight shock proof oil and it was 10 times better, I put another 25,000kms on it with no problems (then my engine died), if it masks the problem I say go with it. but if it's still crunching thats what will cause more damage

• 3 weeks later...

The shock proof stuff initially works well.

But over a period of time it kills all the syncros and syncro cones.

As in the cones are left with a mirror finish therefore the syncro cant grip onto them properly.

Think you can find this info with other cars doing a google search.

I've since switched to Motul Gear FF type oils and its much better. Although costs a little more.

funkytown']

[quote name='funkytown said:

also what i've found in my 6mt - so swapping to the Motul gear oil (but to suit a helical front diff)

/quote]

I use Motul also. Al at Macbilt sells it for $34 a litre.

tis who im gng to see about it ;)

For you it's $43 a litre

MRP LTD said:

$30 for Gear FF type 1 or 2. Now thats def not right. I also deal Motul products from Motul NZ.

Or are you talking about just Motul gear, not gear FF??

Invoice says FFLSD, or similar. Remember he buys it in barrels, not 1L containers.

Edit: definitely says Oil FFLSD Motul

Also appears doing that job he "Uprate pressureplate from 2045 to 33710lb"

Pointless, but interesting.

often syncros and be re bedded with a road test proceedure - (which I wont write up here !)

I can usually fix 50% of syncros without gearbox removal or dismanltled of any sort

4th syncro doesnt usually get a hard time

If you had said 2nd or 3rd the I'd be leaning towards a gearbox out but 4th, I'm sure is fixable

Where are you located?

Even buying in a barrel $30 is still too low. Unless they are getting some crazy special pricing that I dont know of or they are passing it off at some sort of cost price.

Even so shops are meant to be selling it near Motuls RRP which is $54.53+gst.

Ichi Ban said:

often syncros and be re bedded with a road test proceedure - (which I wont write up here !)

I wonder if I've inadvertently done something like this. My 4th and 5th gear synchros have been basically vacant for over a year now, and after last weekend it seems ... better. Its like someone swapped out my gearbox when I wasn't looking..

GC8E2DD']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

/quote]

I wonder if I've inadvertently done something like this. My 4th and 5th gear synchros have been basically vacant for over a year now, and after last weekend it seems ... better. Its like someone swapped out my gearbox when I wasn't looking..

lucky guy :)