Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

tinted lights w.o.f headache

subi4snow said:

If you have an HID kit for your lights they dont make toooo much difference to how much you can see/be seen

:) :) except of course a hid upgrade kit is also illegal,so as they say 2 wrongs still dont make a right :)

upgradeing to HIDs is illegal if you don't have the reflectors for them IIRC

so that you arn't one of those wankers that blinds all oncoming traffic! some nights i want a light setup like DRFVDR to blind the f***ers and give them a taste of their own medicine!

Oh and anything that decreases light output of head and tail lights is a WOF fail, you may be lucky and pass, you may not and get rear ended by a mack truck in the fog....

subi4snow said:

HID kits are illegal, whys that? you learn something new everyday... You'd think: more light = more visibility = recommended not discouraged......

OH yeah those that make the rules always make them so they make sense :)

As nztintin said the reason is that the aftermarket kits are illegal is because with out a reflector designed for them, the output is usually not on the same plane as the original so can blind people...

Why people can still sell them is becuase people still buy them :) and they are only illegal ONROAD so u can use the off road only excuse :)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='subi4snow said:

HID kits are illegal, whys that? you learn something new everyday... You'd think: more light = more visibility = recommended not discouraged......

/quote]

As nztintin said the reason is that the aftermarket kits are illegal is because with out a reflector designed for them, the output is usually not on the same plane as the original so can blind people...

Why people can still sell them is becuase people still buy them :) and they are only illegal ONROAD so u can use the off road only excuse :)

Just out of interest, Are there any kits that you can buy that come with a reflector and are legal?

Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='subi4snow said:

/quote]

Just out of interest, Are there any kits that you can buy that come with a reflector and are legal?

Aftermarket HID driving lights,If say a spec version of your model came with HID's from factory then u can use them to up grade yours,Hella does some euro models upgrade,other than that I know of no aftermarket LEGAL HID upgrades,

ROYALS STI said:

Tinted lights are gay, I almost ran up the arse of a Honda turning left , couldn't see his indicators. Dickhead !!

They are as gay as crystal clear lights which are just gay.lol

Tinted lights are illegal

As for crystal tail lights, most are better than O/E for light output

I just had a WOF done at VTNZ and this seems to be an area of interest at the moment. While I was waiting I read some updates on regulations and tinted / stocking / painted lights are illegal and will fail at VTNZ.

I had a lot of trouble with the inspector as he failed my car for the factory headlights being misaligned, so I had them set by another WOF registered garage, went back and the same guy wanted to fail me again on the basis that one light was symmetrical and the other asymmetrical! What a load of s**t! I asked him how my car had passed the other 12 inspections I’d had done since owning it! Pricks! Got the sticker in the end. ;D

due to the position of the filament in both normal Xenon bulbs and HID bulbs.. the dispersion of light produced by both bulbs have different patterns and sit at different positions along the length of the bulb.

Hence, a reflector housing made to work with Xenon bulbs will not be able to produce the same pattern of light when a HID is fitted in it.

(put simply)..

You end up with HUGE amounts of scattering which will end up blinding other road users... no matter how much you angle it down..