Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race Suit info wanted

nztintin

So i'm in the market for a race suit (mainly so i look the part at meets\helps get me sponsorship)

I'll mainly be doing club events\dual sprints etc so i don't THINK i'll need a real flash suit but i've just been offered a sparco suit second hand (6 events old) its a X-Light 300 3 layer suit so more than i think i need but its cheaper than most new 2 layer suits i've seen.

questions:

the sparco suit has a manufacture date on the collar, do suits have an expiry date? or is that just cause its a fia rated?

how tight should a suit be? I was wearing tshirt and shorts under the suit and i still had a full range of movement everywhere and the belt thing on the suit doesn't pull tight but is kind of firm against me, good or bad?

hi i don't think they have a set life on them considering you can use work overalls as long as they are 100% cotton i wouldn't worry about it.

if you were doing international events then maybe you would need fia but not for clubsport events.

funkytown said:

if its anything like seats, for R&T type series, dual and multi sprints FIA is not required.

If your going to do GTRNZ then it is required.

if the car is new though and the airbag system is removed you need fia approved seats regardless of event, don't you? or is this just for it to be road legal?

5UBZRO said:

just a heads up on the 3 layer suits, very effective but very hot on a not-freezing-cold day! I had a 3 layer and have switched to a single layer.

yeah the 3 layer i'm looking at is a light 3, wearing it the other day over shorts and a tshirt and it wasn't super hot, could always roll commando under it aye ;)

havent bought it yet, i just have it at home to try on and run around the house making "brrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....psssshhhhht........ brrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm" noises ;)

looking at around $600 for the suit and bag and some other stuff. may be a bad luck suit though, was worn by one of the Team kiwi Racing drivers before they went bust :\

BC Racewear sell new 2 layer suits for about $400 as another option.

3 Layers is going to help if you do decide to catch yourself on fire as the more layers the longer the protection will last. But you have to weigh up how much you want to spend and whats more important.

If you want to read the manual (and yes it can be tedious, but it is worthwhile understanding) you can find it here - http://www.motorsport.org.nz/assets/MotorSport-Manual/App-2.02-Sch-A-2010.pdf I am more than happy to help with any questions too :)

Below is the regulations on protective clothing taken from the manual so you don't have to read the whole thing:

4.2 Protective Clothing:

(1) All occupants of vehicles entered in any of the following Events shall wear protective

clothing:

(a) Sporting Trials, Regularity Trials, Speed Events; and,

(b) Races; and,

© Rallies; and,

(d) Any practice session for the above.

(2) International Events: Competitors are required to wear protective clothing that has

current FIA standards approval number. 8856-2000 (Refer to FIA Technical List No 27)

(3) National and higher permit status Race and Rally Events: Vehicle occupants shall

wear:

(a) Overalls, either;

(i) Multi-layer one piece design – of an approved type, or

(ii) Single layer, one-piece design – (worn in combination with heat resistant

underwear), with close-fitting front, cuffs and ankles, manufactured in

approved fire-retardant materials. Underwear must be heat-resistant, wrist

to neck to ankles, and of woollen or other approved materials, and

(b) Socks – wool or other fire-retardant material, and

© Footwear – fire-retardant boots or shoes that completely enclose the feet, and

(d) Gloves – manufactured in approved fire-retardant material (mandatory for Single

Seater drivers and recommended for all other competition).

(4) All Other Events: Vehicle occupants shall wear:

(a) Overalls – clean protective one-piece, with close-fitting front, cuffs and ankles and

manufactured only in fire retardant or self-extinguishing materials, and

Notes:

1. Pure cotton is deemed to be self-extinguishing for the purpose of this rule.

2. The performance of ‘treated’ apparel (eg Proban, Pyrovatex) may be reduced by

incorrect laundering. The manufacturers instructions for washing or laundering should

always be followed.

(b) Footwear – suitable footwear that provides complete coverage of both feet.

(5) Non-approved clothing: No apparel of flammable material (e.g., nylon or similar

synthetics) may be worn. Two-piece overalls are not approved.

(6) Recommendations: It is strongly recommended that all vehicle occupants wear:

· Gloves – of approved fire-resistant materials

· Balaclava – in fire resistant material

· Helmet bib – in fire resistant material

· Neck brace – in fire resistant material

I personally wear 2 layer BC Racewear overalls, and they are hot in most conditions. I wouldn't want to think what a 3 layer would be like!

nztintin - I believe you are doing club sprints? So 1 layer is all you require, but going to a step or two higher is only going to be good for your safety. And while your thinking about safety, consider a HANS device or defNder as they will make a serious difference to your chance of surviving a crash without injury.

Thanx for the info guys, i had tried to read the motorsport manual regarding this but i get confused with english, i'm a sparkey for a reason (good with numbers) :)

Looks like the sparco suit will be a little ott for what i need it for at the moment but as you said the more layers the longer it takes me to burn.

I'll try the sparco suit next weekend at taupo and see how hot it is, if it cooks me in winter i'll die in summer. I just wanted to make sure the fia thing didn't make the suit expire or something stupid.

Munkvy said:

I personally wear 2 layer BC Racewear overalls, and they are hot in most conditions. I wouldn't want to think what a 3 layer would be like!

nztintin - I believe you are doing club sprints? So 1 layer is all you require, but going to a step or two higher is only going to be good for your safety. And while your thinking about safety, consider a HANS device or defNder as they will make a serious difference to your chance of surviving a crash without injury.

+1 on the hans device, I've been around the speedway scene a long time and seen some pretty nasty crashes recently that could've turned out alot worse for the driver if he wasn't wearing a hans. Ask BT, he knows all to well what its like. Can't put a price on your neck. :)