Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

brakes upgrade info

im looking to do an upgrade on the brakes on my b4. i was looking on trademe but there really isn't a big list to choose from. i came across some znoelli brakes for $690 buy now. just wondering if any1 knows if they are any good or are they shit. is there any other brands to choose from apart from Znoelli?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/brakes/auction-387073596.htm

what are you wanting to achieve? are you towing? aggressive open road driving? trackwork?

changing the rotor to something like the znoelli dds/s12 will *look* cool, but apart from the extra (fresh) thickness your not going to improve much on what you already have. they will also carve up your pads quickly (which is ok if you always want a freshly faced pad, YMMV). in terms of rotors, i hammer around the track on the same factory rotors you do, quite happily.

is your brake system working properly to begin with?

a change of brake pad type and a brake fluid flush may be all you need. in that case, i have never exceeded the abilities of bendix ultimates on the road, they seem to be a pretty good-value pad in my experience. bit dusty though.

the rear rotors on my car is very thin (one of them is almost fukd) and will need changing soon. the fronts are also getting thin too but still have some life left. the reason i want to change it is because i like to do some track racing from time to time and through these might be good for the occasion. i have had the brake fluid flushed and replaced at armstrong already like 3 months ago so that shud be all good. so just wondering would these be a good replacement or should i get factory rotors and pads?

Nick is on the money, the general consensus seems to be that slotted rotors are a waste of money.

Get some standard replacement rotors from BNT, some bendix ultimate pads and Motul RPF600 brake fluid. That's what I run on my wagon and I couldn't fault them at the motosoc trackday.

If you try that out and you're still not happy, the next step up would be some 4 pots

Flat4 said:

Nick is on the money, the general consensus seems to be that slotted rotors are a waste of money.

Get some standard replacement rotors from BNT, some bendix ultimate pads and Motul RPF600 brake fluid. That's what I run on my wagon and I couldn't fault them at the motosoc trackday.

If you try that out and you're still not happy, the next step up would be some 4 pots

Concur

If oyu are doing some track time the above is very good advise as I understand it, but if you dont tow, do heavy/hard driving or track time or mountain passes (Queen Charlotte drive to and from Nelson)...

then standard rotors, pads and fluid would be more than good enough

Endless hardened slotted rotors, Pads to suit your style of driving, fill with Endless fluid (900C) Hayden Paddon's choice. All on OEM brakes!, (Stop quicker too.... GO faster!)

Never use cross-drilled rotors! They crack from each of these holes every-time! (do a dye crack test on yours one day if you don't believe me.) Then you will never fit cross-drilled again!!!

Slot design is VERY important to prevent shudder, Seen them fitted on the wrong side of the car too.

Slotted always work best,,However brake pad wear is increased. There is always a pay off A??

Rotors need to be VERY hard too for best effect. Contact Richard Prosport Auto

Zinolli?? rubbish slot design, DBA not much better. ENDLESS the BEST

I have used DBA slotted and cross drilled rotors and Bendix Ultimate Pads in my 2001 V8 Calais for 60,000 KM AND they are awesome, this is not a track car BUT when i drive it on the road I drive hard.

The DBA's have never let me down, have not cracked or Warped.

The Ultimates ARE my choice of Pads,for cars,Bendix Heavy duty 4wd's on my 3000 kg landcruiser and DBA Standard Disks, never had an issue with these either even under hard braking at the end of the taupo straight.

I use Bendix Ultimates on all our Hiace Vans USED on the Ohakune MT road,and this would have to be the hardest test of any pad,I can do up to 10 return trips per day,17km down hill with over 100 bends...

soopersubaru said:

Endless hardened slotted rotors, Pads to suit your style of driving, fill with Endless fluid (900C) Hayden Paddon's choice. All on OEM brakes!, (Stop quicker too.... GO faster!)

Never use cross-drilled rotors! They crack from each of these holes every-time! (do a dye crack test on yours one day if you don't believe me.) Then you will never fit cross-drilled again!!!

Slot design is VERY important to prevent shudder, Seen them fitted on the wrong side of the car too.

Slotted always work best,,However brake pad wear is increased. There is always a pay off A??

Rotors need to be VERY hard too for best effect. Contact Richard Prosport Auto

Zinolli?? rubbish slot design, DBA not much better. ENDLESS the BEST

5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but no more. Gotta love generalisations...

Iv gone with very agressive pads and motul fluid , with factory 4 pots and factory rotors.

The deceleration is incredible , the disc wear is high but new factory rotors are damn cheap.

It doesnt have to look racey to work well , my setup cost under $500. Dont really see the need to spend thousands on the likes of endless.

DRFVDR said:

I have used DBA slotted and cross drilled rotors and Bendix Ultimate Pads in my 2001 V8 Calais for 60,000 KM AND they are awesome, this is not a track car BUT when i drive it on the road I drive hard.

The DBA's have never let me down, have not cracked or Warped.

The Ultimates ARE my choice of Pads,for cars,Bendix Heavy duty 4wd's on my 3000 kg landcruiser and DBA Standard Disks, never had an issue with these either even under hard braking at the end of the taupo straight.

I use Bendix Ultimates on all our Hiace Vans USED on the Ohakune MT road,and this would have to be the hardest test of any pad,I can do up to 10 return trips per day,17km down hill with over 100 bends...

Do a dye/Flaw check on your cross-drilled rotors, They will be cracking up! Of this i am sure!(one set of pads and that was it for me!!)

Try some Endless pads. Nothing better. time after time, just as the name suggests. same feel/stopping ability even as they turn your discs red!

thorpy said:

Iv gone with very agressive pads and motul fluid , with factory 4 pots and factory rotors.

The deceleration is incredible , the disc wear is high but new factory rotors are damn cheap.

It doesnt have to look racey to work well , my setup cost under $500. Dont really see the need to spend thousands on the likes of endless.

Endless disc's will out do any other for no wear. they also ingest air from the outside of the wheel not the inside to use colder air,. True they cost a bit more but you only ever get what you pay for. In the long run after 70,000K or more i will still be on my $750 (front set) rotors and by then you will have out spent me with purchase of Std rotors.

soopersubaru']

[quote name='thorpy said:

/quote]Endless disc's will out do any other for no wear. they also ingest air from the outside of the wheel not the inside to use colder air,. True they cost a bit more but you only ever get what you pay for. In the long run after 70,000K or more i will still be on my $750 (front set) rotors and by then you will have out spent me with purchase of Std rotors.

http://www.endless-sport.co.nz/Products/agentType/View/PropertyID/586.aspx

soopersubaru']

[quote name='thorpy said:

/quote]Endless disc's will out do any other for no wear. they also ingest air from the outside of the wheel not the inside to use colder air,. True they cost a bit more but you only ever get what you pay for. In the long run after 70,000K or more i will still be on my $750 (front set) rotors and by then you will have out spent me with purchase of Std rotors.

http://www.endless-sport.co.nz/Products/agentType/View/PropertyID/586.aspx

Mate do you get paid to push their product???

Their product is good but TBH almost every manufacturer makes the same old statement they do, for a normal road car the factory base spec stuff is bang for buck the best...

Good pads (bendix, Ferodo, etc ) good fluid (motul 600) Replace worn rotors with OEM type replacement

and IMO Cusco master cylinder brace and braided lines.

More than enough for Street driving and odd low key thrash around track.

If you going to be doing alot of track work, then look into Endless, Project Mu, AP racing, Brembo racing products.