Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cheap fix for dead o2 sensors

neil2121

My BH Legacy had a dead o2 sensor and after some horrific quotes for a new one I did a bit of hunting. Instead of bending over and paying ~$600 for a new genuine one I purchased a Denso unit (who I believe make the Subaru ones anyway) from ebay.

The sensor for the Legacy was already way cheaper but what's even better, is that the cheaper WRX sensor also does the job. Part numbers are listed below in case this helps anyone in the future. I got mine for US$150 and it works perfectly.

Subaru part number Legacy 22641AA090

Denso Part number 02D08

Impreza part number 22641AA042

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought a couple of O2 sensors now from http://www.car-stuff.com - for about NZ$60 each shipped within the US.

I had them shipped to an agent (I use http://www.shipito.com/) who sent them on to me with a couple of other bits & pieces I'd bought over there for a total of NZ$20 shipping.

Here's the one that fitted my BH... All I had to do was crimp the old plug on.

O2sensor.jpg

Scoobydoo said:

Yep I did the same thing, got a front one for my V7, original quote was almost $600, Denso unit from Ebay was $150 shipped

worldcarparts.co.uk has some good prices too.Thanks to our current high dollar value

Works out approx half price of our local dealer quoted prices.delivered to your door in a week!! Top Stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, can you point me in the right direction for finding a wiring diagram for a 1999 TS-R legacy o2 sensor plug, I just brought a universal o2 and want to make sure i'm wiring it up correctly. Cheers

• 5 months later...

just buy a universal wire in job. anywhere will have one repco/bnt/cdl/asl/tridon/partmaster just price around but remember you get what you pay for.

i use bosch or tridon universals work fine unless its an air/fuel ratio sensor.

• 1 year later...
 neil2121 said:

My BH Legacy had a dead o2 sensor and after some horrific quotes for a new one I did a bit of hunting. Instead of bending over and paying ~$600 for a new genuine one I purchased a Denso unit (who I believe make the Subaru ones anyway) from ebay.

The sensor for the Legacy was already way cheaper but what\'s even better, is that the cheaper WRX sensor also does the job. Part numbers are listed below in case this helps anyone in the future. I got mine for US$150 and it works perfectly.

Denso Part number 02D08

Just ordered the Impreza part number 22641AA042 AFR sensor from http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/ for my BE5 RSK B4 Legacy Rev-D. Cheers for the info - Armstrong quoted me $501 on special versus the $140 USD delivered (about 170ish NZD) from the UK. Will let you know if it works! :)

It\'s a 50/50 chance if the universal ones will work or not, tried one on a bh worked fine, bp legacy not so lucky and had to be $600 genuine one.

Older cars aren\'t as picky and generally get away with cheap ones.

jost said:

It\'s a 50/50 chance if the universal ones will work or not, tried one on a bh worked fine, bp legacy not so lucky and had to be $600 genuine one.

They wont work if you replace an a/f sensor with an 02 sensor, Kind of like eating an apple and saying this doesnt taste like a big mac.

evowrx']

[quote name='jost said:

/quote]

They wont work if you replace an a/f sensor with an 02 sensor, Kind of like eating an apple and saying this doesnt taste like a big mac.

The difference between what you call an a/f sensor and an O2 sensor is that one it\'s a wideband and the other a narrowband. They are both lambda sensors (which sense the O2 levels or the a/f ratio as it\'s all one and the same) but their electrical outputs are different.

But in short an O2 sensor is an a/f sensor. They need to ensure they\'re replacing like for like, whether is wide or narrow response.

Koom']

[quote name='jost said:

/quote]

The difference between what you call an a/f sensor and an O2 sensor is that one it\'s a wideband and the other a narrowband. They are both lambda sensors (which sense the O2 levels or the a/f ratio as it\'s all one and the same) but their electrical outputs are different.

But in short an O2 sensor is an a/f sensor. They need to ensure they\'re replacing like for like, whether is wide or narrow response.

Yep what you said. Most people recognize it the way I said but its not anatomically correcto at all.

The one on the BP legacy i changed was a wide band, fitted a universal bosch one that apparently was same specs as the original but 15% of the price, Ran fine until it got hot then the CEL came back. Fitted a genuine one as had to get it sorted quickly for the customer, then used the sensor on a BH and no issues.

neil2121 said:

The sensor for the Legacy was already way cheaper but what\'s even better, is that the cheaper WRX sensor also does the job. Part numbers are listed below in case this helps anyone in the future. I got mine for US$150 and it works perfectly.

Denso Part number 02D08

935323_10151695187107174_1037745479_n.jp

***EDIT => Link to part - http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/Store/tabid/667/txtPartSearch/22641AA042/List/1/productid/7066/Default.aspx

+1

Worked on my 2001 JDM B4 (EJ208 BE5)

Denso Part number on box that came from UK was DOX0306 (22641AA042)

Direct fit for 22641AA090 that came off my manifold. Only changes were I had to move a couple of the plastic clips that keep the wire attached to timing cover to match the ones that came off the old sensor. Otherwise worked perfectly! Thanks for the info dude - saved me heaps!! ;D