Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

bd5 rs problems, over boosting etc

zarnah

hey all gone and bought a bd5 rs against my better judgement and now its driving me up the wall! it has a couple of funny things it does, sometimes it will drive just fine and sometimes when watching the boost gauge on primary it jolts around and builds and drops boost before holding a nice steady level, then sometimes when i bury my foot it will just boost straight up to around 17-18 psi and then the car boost cuts and goes into limp mode, sometimes it will also overboost on secondary too and it often only boosts 10psi on secondary, sounds like its having major boost control issues and drives me crazy when i give it a tiny bit of jandel to overtake etc and it cuts a

must be a common problem for bd5's as mine does similar only it cuts out around 4k revs and i can actually hear the exhaust rumble sorta groan i then take my foot off the gas and let it decelerate for about 5 secs then jump on it again and im off again but just dont go over 4k revs

the twin is actually a very basic system, not many understand it, and get confused with the "TWIN" issue

So many convert to single because no one can sort what normally turns out to be a fairly easy fix

Makes me chuckle

Dvnt said:

must be a common problem for bd5's as mine does similar only it cuts out around 4k revs and i can actually hear the exhaust rumble sorta groan i then take my foot off the gas and let it decelerate for about 5 secs then jump on it again and im off again but just dont go over 4k revs

thats VOD ( Valley of Dooooooom), the transfer of the pressure to spool the second turbo up before they run in parallel, keep your foot down and wait for the boost to start climbing again just before 5000 RPM -( you'll be like Nevil f***ing Bartos, f***ing Flying Mate!) i can hit 100km/h in second gear just before redline (on the open road obviously), don't shift at 4000 rpm or you will bog down and it will feel like you are loosing pressure, 3500 generally suits me around town ( wellington start stop traffic)

i like the twin set up, i don't care if everyone else hates it, suits the driving i do, 90% around town generally using the primary which is fine, decent amount of low down power, and when i get to open road i can boost up on both turbos for easy passing/ getting up to speed

have had mine since Feb and i like it alot, has noisy as Faaaaark pistons, Drives sweet, holds boost ( not that ive got a gauge) but most of the work ive had done on it ( by Ichi Ban) all wear n tear stuff - a rebuild/ engine swap could be on the cards eventually - time to start saving i guess

Nick_96_RSB']

[quote name='Dvnt said:

/quote]

thats VOD ( Valley of Dooooooom), the transfer of the pressure to spool the second turbo up before they run in parallel, keep your foot down and wait for the boost to start climbing again just before 5000 RPM -( you'll be like Nevil f***ing Bartos, f***ing Flying Mate!) i can hit 100km/h in second gear just before redline (on the open road obviously), don't shift at 4000 rpm or you will bog down and it will feel like you are loosing pressure, 3500 generally suits me around town ( wellington start stop traffic)

i like the twin set up, i don't care if everyone else hates it, suits the driving i do, 90% around town generally using the primary which is fine, decent amount of low down power, and when i get to open road i can boost up on both turbos for easy passing/ getting up to speed

have had mine since Feb and i like it alot, has noisy as Faaaaark pistons, Drives sweet, holds boost ( not that ive got a gauge) but most of the work ive had done on it ( by Ichi Ban) all wear n tear stuff - a rebuild/ engine swap could be on the cards eventually - time to start saving i guess

i know what vod is and it definitely aint that and as much as i love single turbos im happy with the twin ;D

Dvnt']

[quote name='Nick_96_RSB said:

but if you never go over 4k revs ( which is where it occurs) then why not just have a single turbo anyway? as you will never be using the second turbo ?

/quote]

didnt say i never go over 4k...

sorry, i took it as you dont go over 4000 rpm because you loose pressure. if its because of mechanical issues that you "VERY RARELY go over 4000prm" maybe you should take it to a mechanic and get it looked at

Nick_96_RSB']

[quote name='Nick_96_RSB said:

but if you never go over 4k revs ( which is where it occurs) then why not just have a single turbo anyway? as you will never be using the second turbo ?

/quote]

didnt say i never go over 4k...

sorry, i took it as you dont go over 4000 rpm because you loose pressure. if its because of mechanical issues that you "VARY RARELY go over 4000prm" maybe you should take it to a mechanic and get it looked at

the only time i pay a mechanic is to do a wof, i prefer to do everything else i can myself and when time allows ill get to looking at my problem, i didnt come on here to moan i just stated that the t/a problem sounded similar to mine so it gives me somewhere to look first

i wasn't having a go at you, just from your post it sounded like you weren't going above 4k because it was bogging down on you at 4k rpm that is all

no harm no foul, you could have owned it for 5 mins or 15 years i don't know was just offering up some advice as a fellow BD5 owner take it how you want