Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How To: Upper Cylinder Cleaner

Timmah

This is done on a V3 WRX with an EJ20G engine. But basic principles apply for all other years. I just don't know if the Vac spots are the same.

I also do not take any responsibility in the event you get this wrong and something bad happens.

What you'll need:

1x Bottle of Subaru Upper Cylinder Cleaner

Time Required: 20~30min

People: 2

Apparently this is best done with the engine hot.

1. Shake the can well

2. Find a Vac Hose on the manifold and pop it off and spray about half a can into it. I put some into the IACV just for good measure.

saybl.jpg

I used this one from the BoV:

MhX5z.jpg

2)Wait 10 minutes for it to settle (As per instructions on the can) have a beer or two :P

3) After 10 min, get your helper to either start the car or be ready to spray the rest into the manifold.

Now, the car will struggle to start, so keep it turning until it starts up, now give it some revs to keep it from stalling. You or your helper should now spray the rest of the can into the manifold until empty.

Keep the revs nice and high and sometimes try let it idle. Variation doesn't hurt ;)

Once the can is all gone. Turn the car off. Pop the Vac hose back on, wait a few min, then start her up once again give it some rev's.

Should be some smoke coming out of the exhaust! That's normal :) Pretty much sit there revving the engine for a few min, just so most of cleaner runs through the system and the smoke dies down.

That's it!

It's recommended to put this through every 12,500's. But every 2nd or 3rd oil change should be fine! Or never if you're not interested.

The can says it cleans gunk and carbon deposits in the cylinders. Which will help rough idle, improve throttle response, fuel economy and power. Also better emissions.

When I ran it through, I found after my was happier to rev and my bumpy idle was sorted out. Even when cold the car seemed to have more response.

140804116.jpg

Here they are for $20 on Trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-405600137.htm

For those people with no friends, or just no friends that are interested in helping you with your car, you can do this with one person. The throttle cable/assembly is well within reach of the location you are spraying the cleaner so it is quite easy to keep the revs up from under the bonnet.

• 4 weeks later...

Or you could just use caltex fuel, the techron does actually clean all the carbon off the valves, I can vouch for it after doing a head gasket change at 200,000kms of which the last 90,000kms only caltex fuel was run, valves were spotless.

mondo said:

Or you could just use caltex fuel, the techron does actually clean all the carbon off the valves, I can vouch for it after doing a head gasket change at 200,000kms of which the last 90,000kms only caltex fuel was run, valves were spotless.

Meh.... i would trust the upper engine cleaner more that Caltex gas....

madmike']

[quote name='mondo said:

/quote]

Ohh ok my eyes must have been seeing things then, anyway you go spend $$$ on that subaru rip stuff, and I'll keep using caltex.

mondo']

[quote name='mondo said:

/quote]

Ohh ok my eyes must have been seeing things then, anyway you go spend $$$ on that subaru rip stuff, and I'll keep using caltex.

bush-flips-bird.jpg

madmike']

[quote name='mondo said:

/quote]

bush-flips-bird.jpg

HaHaHa, its people like you that make subaru dealers rich ;D If only people knew.If you expect a can of cleaner to clean all the carbon off valves with a 30min dose, you are wrong.Caltex had its cleaning ability put to the test by BMW engine testers,they could not believe the results, they had seen nothing like it before.

• 2 months later...

this product is good i use it at work. if fuel was injected in front of the throttle body then i would use caltex with techron but no its injected just before the valves. upper engine cleaner is good because it cleans the intake system, throttle valve, idle control, intake manifold etc. where oil and grim build up effects the flow of air. haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

just performed this cleaner on my car. it did feel like the car drove a bit smoother and nicer. wasn't as much smoke as i expected lol. overall a pretty worthwhile thing to do. if anyone is considering doing this, i would recommend you try it out at lease once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where would people suggest spraying the upper engine cleaner for my BP GT? I\'ve seen it suggested to use the hose coming out the top of the bypass valve, would I be right in guessing it get\'s sprayed in the direction of the red arrow, as opposed to into the valve?

And for the sake of understanding, what\'s the hose circled in blue? Is that the recirc hose?

snc159392.jpg

funkytown']

thats a DOPE looking tmic.. and yer that line should go back to the manifold

Sorry to say, that\'s not mine. Stole the picture off the net lol. But sweet cheers :)

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

when they spray into the manifold... do they mean like, disconnect the tmic and spray in down through the throttle body? or am i missing something stupidly obvious?

That\'s what it sounds like from what the OP said.

kwi_fozze said:

when they spray into the manifold... do they mean like, disconnect the tmic and spray in down through the throttle body? or am i missing something stupidly obvious?

No need to take off TMIC, just use the circled nipple thingy on pic with the "3" in circled.

• 2 years later...
 Percy said:
Epic thread dredge!:D

Has anyone bought any of this high tech evil chemical recently, and if so how much was it?

I brought some not too long ago from repco (sydenham was the only one with stock) It was about $26 I think, I got it for about $20 on sale. It's definitely worth doing in my opinion. I found it ran smoother once I did it. I did it by my self was easy, Also while engine not running I took of the torque box (N/A car) and sprayed the inside of the throttle body, both open and closed to clean up the gunk around it, watched it melt before my eyes.

Edited by SpeedySub

• Admin
 SpeedySub said:
I brought some not too long ago from repco (sydenham was the only one with stock) It was about $26 I think, I got it for about $20 on sale. It's definitely worth doing in my opinion. I found it ran soother once I did it.

Was it proper Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner? Cos that's the good stuff.