• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member

its magic

a spring as is a pretty simple machine

my under standing is they either PULL or PUSH things

this spring pulls something back

KEEP IT SIMPLE YOUR OVER-THINKING IT

perhaps as you mentioned there may be another issue as to why my pedal is not returning (I still have not had a look to see why)

which you have hinted on but because your too busy squabbling I cannot be F U C K ED reading your posts hijacka

Children, children, such passion over a little spring.

How about we grows up and tug our pull ups up and actually say something constructive to help the man or ill just go and delete the previous page of posts and we start again.

If theres no spring there, put a spring on it. Its there for whatever reasons. If that doesnt fix it id be looking at the spring under the dash or the pedal plate itself. Failing that, as I havent read the entire thread, you have a bigger issue at play.

Lol..

Some people.

It has already been stated what the reason for the spring being there is.

Either your a bit dim or you just don't listen.

It is there to hold pressure on the pull out bearing and to prevent "knock off" of the clutch pedal.

What makes you think the Subaru engineers put it there for? Did they have an excess of springs and decided that was a mint place to put one. NO!!!

It was put there for a specific reason.

madmike said:

It was put there for a specific reason.

for clutch pedal return.

funny my spring was missing and pedal was having trouble returning, spring on.. it now returns.. HOLY SHIT

hijacka. STFU or GTFO.

ichi > any other n00b when it comes to diagnosing and fixing any subaru fault and 'feature'

• General Member
 Ichi Ban said:

Why don't you go out to your Subaru remove it and then go for a decent drive giving it 6k plus rpms and see what happens

FACTOID is that I have fixed many cars with this fault - I was not a believer when my contact at FHI told me, but some things you have to find out for yourself . It doesn't return the pedal (the pressure plate does that) but high rpm centrifugal force on the clutch does push the slave cylinder back - Oh this is where the spring comes into it.......

As for the keyboard insults - LOL. Grow up and accept the fact (once you have found out for yourself) and then apologise to those in the know

Once again do you think I come to this web site to waste my time with attitudes like yours,

i have nothing to gain from you, where as if you used the flappy things on the side of ya head instead of the one on the front you'd probably gain something !

END

How rude! you spit all though insults at me and lock me out! haha If what you all claim is true that the reason for the clutch pedal to return to the halfway point is because it lacks the spring so if i removed the spring it should indeed have a adverse effect.. i made a video of just that and tested the pedal with no spring and the clutch pedal fully returns press after press after press :P Can you Handle the truth :-*

Click the pic..

th_003-2.jpg

And suck it!!!

• General Member

Read the last post in the previous thread, sit down, shut up.

If you don't want to take advice from those who know (and actually experienced the issues) then go sit on front of a mirror and tell someone who cares how brilliant you are.

Mods lock and delete?

hijacka said:

How rude! you spit all though insults at me and lock me out! haha If what you all claim is true that the reason for the clutch pedal to return to the halfway point is because it lacks the spring so if i removed the spring it should indeed have a adverse effect.. i made a video of just that and tested the pedal with no spring and the clutch pedal fully returns press after press after press :P Can you Handle the truth :-*

Click the pic..

th_003-2.jpg

And suck it!!!

READ THIS !!!!!! HIJACKA

You read posts like a woman .... only reading the bits you want !!

(correct the little spring does not push the pedal back up, BUT it does keep the brg pulled against the pressure plate)

WHY - because of "brg knock off" caused by the brg is not being held loaded against the pressure plate during pedal released times

Push the fork backward to simulate "knock off" and then put ya foot on the clutch

Oh do you now have 1/2 a pedal on first application ...... DOH

fact is YOUR WRONG,

leave the spring off and see what happens - go for a drive with real loadings, big revs oh and pedals sticks 1/2 way down

Have some respect for the knowledge that WAS on offer to you

You are a complete fool, and I still continue to laugh

• General Member

RIGHT

Hijacka I owe you an apology : spring not important (to me), Mike your right too : its to reduce knock off

my starter lead dropped off yesterday (see red ring in last pic below) so I had to leave car running all day with keys in it (thank god for keyless pin code entry!)

so got motovation to remove interwarmer and inspect

th_clutch001.jpg th_clutch002.jpg th_clutch003.jpg th_clutch006.jpg

owing to the amount of clutch slip on the weekend between 2500 and 4k on acceleration I am still picking original thoughts of worn clutch

bled clutch while i was there

joker your wrong.. the spring IS important.. for the reason you say so.

reducing knock off stops the pedal sticking. i.e ALLOWS normal return, not stopping return with out it..

Rick - with you 10000%. takes a little bit of thinking to get the concept - clearly its beyond some people ::)

• General Member
 WRXONP said:

lol thats not all i wanted to say

i wanted to say i ran a 3000 lb exedy pressure plate and 5 puck solid center plate and light weight exedy flywheel

i had no spring on it - didnt need one - clutch never ever had any issues with it not returning

im not trying to start a fight - im not trying to prove anyone wrong but the way i see the spring is the spring is preloading the clutch fork to a degree - its holding the clutch fork up so as soon as you start building hydraulic pressure the pressure plate fingers start to be pressed (basically what was said in other posts)

however understanding how hydraulics work (i use to be a diesel mechanic - done eveything to do with hydraulics - even rebuilding them) the spring wont effect the pedal coming back out

having a slight preload on it would stop having to pump the pedal - SOOOOO if the spring ever was a problem (being you dont have one) you would more than likely have problems getting it into gear - if the hydraulic cylinder happened to go back into itself so there was "freeplay" between the slave cylinder and the clutch fork you would use some of your pedal travel taking up the "slack" then only half of your clutch pedal stroke would actually be pressing (in a subys case pulling-same action happening in relation to clutch /pressure plate/ flywheel) on the pressure plate fingers

not sure how this is coming across to someone else but this makes sense to me

and a hydraulic cylinder will only go back into itself if it is forced (the pressure plate fingers is what pushes your pedal back out) - i never ran a spring on mine and my clutch never had issues like i said - and i had all of 1mm freeplay if that on the clutch fork

soft (broken - worn - sad) pressure plate fingers would stop a pedal coming out (if the hydraulic system is fully functioning / bled / adjusted correctly) which would obviously cause clutch slip

air in the system would stop a pedal coming out (incorectly bled or not bled)

bypassing master cylinder seals would stop the pedal coming out (pedal would also loose pressure if you try sustain pressure for an ammount of time)

i dont see how the spring would effect the pedal coming out

if the spring was acting the other way it would AID the pedal coming back out (pushing the cylinder back in) but this would create the free play which would be bad as you would need to pump the clutch to get some action

all im basically getting at is if someone can explain exactly how the spring will help with the clutch pedal returning the whole way out i would be interested