Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gone: SONY 32" WIDE SCREEN CRT TV - FREE TO WHOEVER CAN PICK IT UP

ClubSub Mum

Sony 32" wide screen crt tv. Free to anyone who can pick up (and be warned its bloody heavy).

Still goes really well, just surplus to requirements.

Its a 100mhz picture, has teletext.

Has rear and side terminals (making gaming a little easier).

Weight is approximately 62kg (told you it was heavy) lol

Still have manual for it too.

If we you are after a DVD player, we have one of those to go with it too.

pm me if interested

ClubSub Mum']

[quote name='spark_38 said:

62kg? That is heavy for a 32", unless it's nett weight inclusive of cabinet?

Will arrange pick-up when I get back from Targa.

/quote]

No it does not include weight of cabinet. Manual for tv says 62kg.

Pick up after targa ...... 8 days @ $$$$ per day storage 😄 :)

Storage? Pack of smokes?

If some (you don't say which models) had a lead jacket, they did squat, most domestic models (KV- series ) including the lover-rated Wegas, suffered from colour purity problems and huge geometric distortion.

Their professional stuff (BVM, PVM series) on the other hand were the very best money could buy (~$40k for the BVM32 back in the early 90's).

Same as this one on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/standard/crt/22-32-56-81cm/auction-418045305.htm

It was an odd one for Sony. Made in Spain. Rear scart connectors - which are a French standard.

I've had a few older Sony's in the past - some Browngoods technician claimed the Trinitron tubes were the best picture for CRT, but Panasonic still lead the market for reliability (back when stuff was made in Japan, up until the mid 90's).

NZ got all sorts of electrical oddballs.

In the case of that Sony we ended up with a Eurospec variant because NZ requirements are pretty close to the UK market

Eg, PAL B/G, 230V 50Hz, Nicam etc.

Scarts are the work of the devil, along with DIN plugs and HDMI.

Japanese Sony was the best in the day.

Philips were made good tubes too (their giant 40" CRT was used by Loewe, Grundig, RCA), just a shame they were often associated with crap electronics.

I thought Loewe, Grundig, etc... were supposed to be good? One would assume, given the price tags on them.

DIN plugs were great in the day - I can still play my ipod through my old all-in-one vintage PYE unit, although it's mainly used for LP's

What's wrong with HDMI? Is component video still the better choice - as it's an analog signal?

Digital video is fine.

The problem(s) with HDMI are twofold;

The connector makes a poor physical connection (why they didn't use computer style locking connectors is beyond me), heavier videophile grade HDMI cables almost never stay in place :(

Secondly the HDMI standard is still a joke, handshake and compatibility problems are still common.

DINs are a PIA to wire up and none of the really goood cables were available with DIN plugs.

Even Naim Audio (as big a fan of DINs as you could get) offer the option of RCA connections on most of their gear.

Are you using some sort of mini-jack to DIN adaptor for your iPod ?

Yeah HDMI is basically the same as a PC DVI-D connector, which graphics cards have been using for years. Or if you used Apple Macs - they've always used the DVI plug. Only reason HDMI was introduced as it has content control/scrambling/anti-piracy, similar to CSS for DVDs.

I'm only using the cheap Jaycar HDMI leads - I see no point in getting a $200 monster cable? With digital you don't have the loss issues associated with analog anyway!

DIN plugs are quite easy to wire, for playback it's the two outer pins for left/right and shield for common. I got some from jaycar and made my own leads. Even my car RCA leads are the Jaycar triple shielded with gold plugs - much neater when you make them to the length required.

Looking at the rear of my vintage Kenwood KA-6000 solid state amp; I notice it only has one DIN and the rest are RCA. It has phono inputs for both Moving Magnet and Moving Coil.

spark_38 said:

I'm only using the cheap Jaycar HDMI leads - I see no point in getting a $200 monster cable? With digital you don't have the loss issues associated with analog anyway!

+1 i use $6 HDMI cables off Trademe, havent had any issues in the year i have been using them, no need to pay $200 for a cable its just electronics stores playing off stupid people, they make next to nothing on TV's etc, but make all there money off the accessories they palm off to unsuspecting suckers

Actually you do get losses with HDMI over 10m or so.

$200 Monster ?

As much as people love to bag them, some of their HDMI cables do offer better performance than the cheap stuff.

Just don't pay retail for them !

There was an guy on TM down your way selling the primo stuff for less than 25% retail.

And before you ask, yes it was genuine.

:D

KA-6000 ?

Had to google that model.

;D

Some old Jap stuff used DIN for tape decks, easier and tidier to use a single cable instead of four with RCAs.

Maybe easy to wire for you with ten magic fingers but for guys with ten thumbs...

Scart is even worse.