Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TD05 -> VF23 questions...

Im building up a v2 sti wrx and was wondering if anyone had any good info on things i should be aware of. eg do i need to get a 90degree bend for a vf23 straight off the turbo. any info anyone could give me would be goodaz!! and if anyone has any ideas of what i should be doing let me know cheers

why the swap from a TD05 to VF23?

Most (IMO) would think that to produce less overall power etc..

Yes you will need a 90deg bend as BC states, not hard to do with silicon hoses.

fdpsti said:
and if anyone has any ideas of what i should be doing let me know cheers

stick with a Td05 maybe? 18/20g wheel and keep it stock? Twisted set up,

Where is the build at now, and what are you end state goals?

***Purely interested in why a VF23 instead of TD05 forewell knowing you may have different goals in mind than power****

** also have a 23 (modified) myself, and love it..

A TD05 20g would be closer in performance to a VF23.

The VF23 has a roller ball bearing core which will always spool faster than plain bearing, making it a more street able Turbo charger.

Of course the TD05 is more rebuild able and can be so for more power, but to a lesser extent so can the VF23.

At the end of the day it's all about setup.

BC5RA said:

The VF23 has a roller ball bearing core which will always spool faster than plain bearing, making it a more street able Turbo charger.

Of course the TD05 is more rebuild able and can be so for more power, but to a lesser extent so can the VF23.

A 20g is huge compared to the VF23.

A couple of years ago my flatmate and myself built nearly identical engines and I chose a TD05, he had a VF23.

With the same boost (15 psi), my car made 10 hp less but spooled faster so my torque curve was slightly more to the left than his. This was with the same tuner, on the same dyno a few days apart too.

Koom said:

A couple of years ago my flatmate and myself built nearly identical engines and I chose a TD05, he had a VF23.

With the same boost (15 psi), my car made 10 hp less but spooled faster so my torque curve was slightly more to the left than his. This was with the same tuner, on the same dyno a few days apart too.

Interesting.

I wonder what trap speed's you would be pulling?

Most setup's I've seen using a TD05 16g usually put out 170kw-near 200kw@wheel's.

According to CFM the TD05 16g flow's close to a VF22 (465 vs 460) and the VF23 (430)

The 20g makes 650 cfm, so in that respect i stand corrected.

Lol yes i spent a bit searching.

Koom']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

Makes sense as the td05 turbine side is smaller

lol think you've taken the technical side to a whole new level haha i got it rebuilt un used for cheap az. so i thought wy use the td05 it was pretty old and abused. so from what i gather it whould be algood with a 45degree bend? and i looked into it for quite a while n they sound good from what people have posted

Guest boostcut

you can do it.... get a hack saw and start... well.... hacking!!!!!! read up the thread on it... its easy.

fdpsti']

AND! Does anyone know someone that does twisted turbos down south??

How far south.....

[quote name='boostcut said:

you can do it.... get a hack saw and start... well.... hacking!!!!!! read up the thread on it... its easy.

I'd try that,....

BC5RA said:

Most setup's I've seen using a TD05 16g usually put out 170kw-near 200kw@wheel's.

According to CFM the TD05 16g flow's close to a VF22 (465 vs 460) and the VF23 (430)

got my 23 modified through Steve Murch, its now flowing about 650cfm at 1 bar by his word, its using a 16g wheel, and from his recommendation said its good to run 1.4bar all day or about 20psi

funkytown']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

got my 23 modified through Steve Murch, its now flowing about 650cfm at 1 bar by his word, its using a 16g wheel, and from his recommendation said its good to run 1.4bar all day or about 20psi

I think you mean big 16g

A 20g flows about 650cfm and that is way way bigger than a 16g. At 1 bar the 16g is no where near 650cfm. I think you misheard what steve said.

RDL how can i get ahold of them and you wouldnt have an idea on what they charge? im in invercargill but chch isnt to bad of a mission thats what they built trailors for...

fdpsti said:

RDL how can i get ahold of them and you wouldnt have an idea on what they charge? im in invercargill but chch isnt to bad of a mission thats what they built trailors for...

Tony can be contacted on 03 349 9615.

Not sure what a twisted setup would cost but PM WRXER as he had this done a few weeks ago.

fdpsti said:

FUNKYTOWN whatd steve charge roughly to do that to your turbo?? obviously a noticable difference?

charged 950 odd.. yer goes way harder than before, and i have the insurance that my turbo is like new - and (less likely) to blow up..

before

funkyenginerebuild006.jpg

after

funkyenginerebuild122.jpg

funkyenginerebuild119.jpg