BINKZ

Which do you have?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you have?

• Lowering/Shortnened Springs
    • Adjustable suspension setup
    • Standard Suspension/Unmodified

pappu said:

Think it comes to how much of an uncomfortable ride u can forgive based on how much handling type driving u do

If it's mostly a street car then the ride soon gets annoying but if it's a weekend car then the hard ride usually is part of the fun

I had these cusco adjustables and by god they were rock hard and rattled teeth at the hint of a ripple in the road

Held in the corners like glue but I swapped then out as for daily driving they were just a pain

so what'd you swap em out for?

just back to standard springs?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
 pappu said:

Think it comes to how much of an uncomfortable ride u can forgive based on how much handling type driving u do

If it's mostly a street car then the ride soon gets annoying but if it's a weekend car then the hard ride usually is part of the fun

I had these cusco adjustables and by god they were rock hard and rattled teeth at the hint of a ripple in the road

Held in the corners like glue but I swapped then out as for daily driving they were just a pain

My old Cuscos were like that on my V3 wag, never got around to trying different damper settings as I think the previous owner just had them all the way hard but I sold the car a couple of weeks after installing them.

my V5 had standard shocks with low king springs

thats with 18in wheels. perfect ride hight and all around drivabilty. if you dont want to muck around with different spring rates etc then new shocks with lowered spring is the way to go.

remember you dont just slap in a set of adjusties and leave them... the top hats take abuse and need servicing/replacing as road driving you tend to find bucket loads more bumps than the track. at least on the track you learn to know where the bad bumps are

im with the lowered standard suspention lot. if you dont need the adjustability then stay standard type coils. good looks and a much more comfy ride

newsub.jpg

jacsmiley said:

thats with 18in wheels. perfect ride hight and all around drivabilty. if you dont want to muck around with different spring rates etc then new shocks with lowered spring is the way to go.

remember you dont just slap in a set of adjusties and leave them... the top hats take abuse and need servicing/replacing as road driving you tend to find bucket loads more bumps than the track. at least on the track you learn to know where the bad bumps are

im with the lowered standard suspention lot. if you dont need the adjustability then stay standard type coils. good looks and a much more comfy ride

newsub.jpg

shortened shocks or what? - what brand?

ditto with the springs - super lows or lows, kings/tein/other brand.....

jacsmiley said:

newsub.jpg

I beg to differ. Never serviced or replaced and they have done over 3 years of road and track abuse, and their BC golds so not expensive either.

If your spending the same amount on new struts and springs thats a massive waiste of funds.

Depends what you like though, I enjoy being the best handled car on the road whatever the cost... I even recall testing this theory with a V7 STI at one stage, doubble the power but not enough in the corners to get past..

Lowerd springs and standard shocks

Was bouncy tho

Then managed to get some shortened Wrx shocks and lowered springs and car sat lower and had a nicer ride

Also have had a set of spec c suspension and it sits a tad lower than stock and handles bettr as well as it's surprisingly more comfy than stock somehow lol unless it's not spec c and some other strut lol Wil post a pic

BINKZ']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

I lol'd haha.

+1 loling I run with my standard legacy sus, the bilstens are awesome was thinking of lowering it but if i do im pretty sure that ima go with the spring option rather than the adjustable option, i prefer the comfort rather than the bounce bounce ... one advantage to a legacy is it comes with bilstens, which still give you the sporty edge in the corners ... thats my two cents anyway ...

4foot said:

+1 loling I run with my standard legacy sus, the bilstens are awesome was thinking of lowering it but if i do im pretty sure that ima go with the spring option rather than the adjustable option, i prefer the comfort rather than the bounce bounce ... one advantage to a legacy is it comes with bilstens, which still give you the sporty edge in the corners ... thats my two cents anyway ...

yeah thats what i did in my BD5, bilstiens with Tien Superlows , only dropped it about 30 - 40mm, but feels alot tighter in corners, but still comfy for daily driving, Plus i have no intentions of tracking the car in the near future so much cheaper than adjustables and cert

Nick_96_RSB']

[quote name='4foot said:

/quote]

yeah thats what i did in my BD5, bilstiens with Tien Superlows , only dropped it about 30 - 40mm, but feels alot tighter in corners, but still comfy for daily driving, Plus i have no intentions of tracking the car in the near future so much cheaper than adjustables and cert

yeah but given my 02 STi doesnt come iwth bilstiens.... would i not still have to upgrade the shocks anyway? hence being just an expensive as getting it put on adjusties?

just wondering?

I would really like damper only adjustable shocks. I had a tein set in my civic. Dropped it perfectly and ride was perfect- only needed to set it on soft setting.

Now for a pair like that for the forester- that would drop it just right

Is your o2 Sti the wagon? Il have your suspension lol!! The reds would be perfect with a tein spring upgrade (especially in my car) ;D

reaperblitz said:

I would really like damper only adjustable shocks. I had a tein set in my civic. Dropped it perfectly and ride was perfect- only needed to set it on soft setting.

Now for a pair like that for the forester- that would drop it just right

Is your o2 Sti the wagon? Il have your suspension lol!! The reds would be perfect with a tein spring upgrade (especially in my car) ;D

so you reckon i should just get tein springs then? is that what your saying? late night decoding of your message is difficult...

basically, yes. STI shocks are mint. just get some springs, im thinking of getting some for my v8 struts, but i have a spare set of tein adjusties lying around so dont know really, but for u go springs. And why not go cobra, made in new zealand and good springs

dacerx said:

basically, yes. STI shocks are mint. just get some springs, im thinking of getting some for my v8 struts, but i have a spare set of tein adjusties lying around so dont know really, but for u go springs. And why not go cobra, made in new zealand and good springs

lol hell no not cobra.

many a friend has had bad experiences with cobra springs so its put me off them lol.

will be either kings or tein if i decide to get it lowered.

Like I keep saying. RaceComp Engineering Yellows (RCE). They're specifically made to match the damping rates of the GDB pink shocks, and have the maximal amount of drop without adverse effects on rear suspension geometry or bottoming out the damper travel. Very well known and highly respected in the US. If you just want to drop your car, then any old spring will do, but if you want to drop it AND handle better, get a decent spring from a company that has done plenty of track and road R&D time.

RCE also do a line of coilovers which are very similar to what Whiteline used to produce, based on custom spec'd units from KW in Germany. I had KWs in my old car, anyone who has been in my old car can tell you what the ride quality and handling was like.

Simon C said:

Like I keep saying. RaceComp Engineering Yellows (RCE). They're specifically made to match the damping rates of the GDB pink shocks, and have the maximal amount of drop without adverse effects on rear suspension geometry or bottoming out the damper travel. Very well known and highly respected in the US. If you just want to drop your car, then any old spring will do, but if you want to drop it AND handle better, get a decent spring from a company that has done plenty of track and road R&D time.

RCE also do a line of coilovers which are very similar to what Whiteline used to produce, based on custom spec'd units from KW in Germany. I had KWs in my old car, anyone who has been in my old car can tell you what the ride quality and handling was like.

who would i order said springs through in New Zealand mate?

dacerx said:

If you thought about selling the adjusties, I could be interested providing they'd fit my car :D

reaperblitz said:

Ps still keen on Sti wagon shocks n springs if so :P do me good deal n I luff u long tym

Lol

shall remember that if i end up getting lowering springs.

won't be doing the shocks if i don't absoultely have to though.