Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subtech Downpipe Review

Scotte

Scotte said:

Mine is auto too. I noticed a lot more down low torque with the new downpipe.

NZ Performance Tuning have a Legacy GT in for Downpipe and Tune at the moment.

You could ask them about it the combination, what sort of downpipe it is.

http://www.facebook.com/nzperformancetuning

yeah saw that on Twitter, ive talked to Dave and hes done heaps and gets about 15-20kw at the engine, unsure what extra combined with subtech pipe would be, with the hassle of noise and going catless (smell) im tempted to stay with original plan and just get a reflash only on stock setup. So many choices and not enough $$$

I did hand it in today by selling my beloved MR2 :)

Just trying to be sensible with the mods on the family suby so it doesnt turn into a beast like the MR2.

Im seeking.

- 220-230 kw at the engine

- nice exhaust note

- factory mags powdercoated a nice colour

Dont want to ruin a good comfortable family car, as it our only one.

Adrenaline R have quoted me on rear mufflers & 400mm resonator , peices of art, and bet they will keep a subtech front pipe in check, $1000 for those 3 items, could get a Ganador on Trademe for $495 but I know Adrenalin R is the last word in exhausts (1/2 the price of a Borla, and just as good).

I run dual Adrenalin R cans on my MR2 3" from tip to turbo, and wasnt much louder than stock, short pipes as well being mid engine, had a nice deep growl under mid to hgh rpm

There is hope yet.

LOL im so pussy whipped, just run the mod budget past the misses at lunch and pretty much not authorised to spend anything on the car.

Looking like a reflash only...if that

Would have been nice to get the other stuff done, but no point as would need to be reflashed again.

Pretty sad after just selling my car of 10 years, looks like im stuck with a standard family car for another 6 years :(

Talk about spousal abuse :)

GorGasmSpecB said:

The ganador on trademe won't fit without modification but will be better than anything NZ makes.

Mabey, but Adrenalin R in Hastings make the best systems ive ever encountered, I had a full custom system built for my MR2 and it was better than the leading exhausts (KO Racing and Berktech) which have dominated the MR2 scene for years.

Their stuff is quality

Bearing in mind thats 3" striaght through to the turbo and short pipes....and not much louder than stock..nice tone for a 3SGTE as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Pipe installed today and drove back from Auckland, didnt really wow me as much as I thought it would, sound isnt to bad, and feel a bit freer in terms of throttle response but feels like less torque and power ???.

Do the ECUs need to remap themselves to account for the extra flow ?

Mabey its just me :) I doubt it would result in a performance decrease would it.

but feels like less torque and power .

That a strange result. I have way more down low torque and more power through out the rev range. Increase in power was instantly noticeable.

Talk to Subtech about it if you are concerned but you shouldn't have less power. Just doesn't make sense.

Scotte said:

but feels like less torque and power .

That a strange result. I have way more down low torque and more power through out the rev range. Increase in power was instantly noticeable.

Talk to Subtech about it if you are concerned but you shouldn't have less power. Just doesn't make sense.

Apprently smoother power can feel iike less, tuning should get me the noticable gain I seek.

I quite like the turbo sound and the noise the exhaust and wastegate makes going into the pipe, almost has a ball bearing turbo type sound to it now.

Getting my AdrenalinR resonator fitted tomorrow, hopefully takes out some of the hollow sound and deepens the tone a little, pending that I'll get some new cans on the back to complete the sound.