Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subtech Downpipe Review

Scotte

Scotte said:

Are the OEM ones you refer to NGK as well? Is ILFR6B the model/part#?

Yep, OEM ones are NGK too, but 10 year old technology. They still sell em cause they making a killing on them, everyone just installs the OEM part from the manual.

IX MAX ones are better.

Ah true, good to know thanks. Any idea what rrp is on the IX MAX ones?

I've bought 4 of the OEM ones for ~$71 total off Amazon. Don't actually know if I need them yet, as I'm about to get my first WOF since I imported it 5 1/2 months ago. So if the plugs are still ok I guess I can keep them till the car reaches 200k, and if not, then sounds like I saved a fair bit from the Supercheap price :)

Just picked up car from Torque Performance. Drove it home in Auckland Easter weekend traffic so didn't get to give it a 'proper' workout but I am stoked with it so far! Feels like it has a pair now! haha. Will take it out for a decent thrashing tonight and give another update.

Just picked up car from Torque Performance. Drove it home in Auckland Easter weekend traffic so didn't get to give it a 'proper' workout but I am stoked with it so far! Feels like it has a pair of balls now! haha. Will take it out for a decent thrashing tonight and give another update.

How did you decide on Torque over NZPT and the others you were looking at? What do they charge?

Is your auto or manual?

Decided on Torque because they use a dyno, have a good reputation, and location. Plus they gave me a loan car for the day.

PBMS was just too much of a mission for me. And a remap at NZPT wasn't really worth it when you can get a custom tune for not much more.

I was lucky enough to pay the old price... They now charge $1200!

My car runs great now, for what it is, a standard 2L turbo with an Automatic transmission. I now have more power throughout the rev range, and it doesn't feel like the turbo runs out of puff anymore, it keeps pulling!

I dont think the catless front pipe was worth changing as I didn't notice any change in performance, however it cant have hurt when coupled with the tune, but for the money, just go straight for the tune.

I haven't been through a tank yet so cant comment on fuel efficiency, however it is expected to help with efficiency.

I regret not having previously-owned higher performance cars tuned..

snwmbl said:

My car runs great now, for what it is, a standard 2L turbo with an Automatic transmission. I now have more power throughout the rev range, and it doesn't feel like the turbo runs out of puff anymore, it keeps pulling!

I dont think the catless front pipe was worth changing as I didn't notice any change in performance, however it cant have hurt when coupled with the tune, but for the money, just go straight for the tune.

I haven't been through a tank yet so cant comment on fuel efficiency, however it is expected to help with efficiency.

I regret not having previously-owned higher performance cars tuned..

i think changing the downpipe would have changed alot... especially when matched with a tune afterwads. The differences you noticed would not solely be from the tune.

You get any power figures? glad your impressed with the work thats been done

that ecutek business seems to make a difference. work mate was talking to wrc developments/ecutek when he had b4 they did a 2001 b4 that pulled 230kw at the flywheel completely stock. im guessing it was the 206kw standard option but you would definitely notice that.

According to what I have just read on the net, you lose roughly 40% of the power from the fly-wheel to wheels in an Automatic AWD. If this is correct, my car would be making roughly 220KW at the fly-wheel now. Anyone know what the factory output of a Jap new 2005 Legacy GT Auto is?

snwmbl said:

According to what I have just read on the net, you lose roughly 40% of the power from the fly-wheel to wheels in an Automatic AWD. If this is correct, my car would be making roughly 220KW at the fly-wheel now. Anyone know what the factory output of a Jap new 2005 Legacy GT Auto is?

190kw at the engine for 2003-2005 Auto.

40% sounds a little high, that would be like 114kw at the wheels. I know what 205 feels like at the wheels in a lighter car and I wouldnt say the stock legacy GT-B feels that far behind in power. From my readings it was something like 25-30% drive train loss for auto AWD.

snwmbl said:

144.7KW to 158.3KW ATW. It doesn't sound like a huge increase in power but the overall driving experience has improved considerably. Anyone know how to calculate KW ATW to Flywheel?

Is 144.7kW atw when it was completely stock?

paulngui']

[quote name='snwmbl said:

144.7KW to 158.3KW ATW. It doesn't sound like a huge increase in power but the overall driving experience has improved considerably. Anyone know how to calculate KW ATW to Flywheel?

/quote]

Is 144.7kW atw when it was completely stock?

After Subtech Front Pipe and HKS foam panel filter.

paulngui said:

Thanks for the info! Any chance you could upload a youtube video or something so we can hear? I've got a stock bp gt so am curious to hear the difference!

Hey Paul

You can see my old Youtube video of this from way back last year when I had this Subtech downpipe done.

Video was posted prior to haven the ECU tuned in the USA.

I would highly recommend a tune after installing this mod.

Havent owned this car since maybe oct/nov last year so im not on here really.

oh and this one has sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcKI4qFEu4A

seqafp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
 Scotte said:

Webup can u give us some info about how ur tune went with infamous? How much was it, easy to reflash the ecu yourself? Many versions to get it right?

Hey

Yeah was USD$150 for an E-tune StgII.

We did over 10 revisions. Shamar is a top Subaru tuner.

Its easy to do yourself once you do a bit of reading on the US forums on flashing

I sold my tactrix cable cheap to some young guy with an Sti on trademe.

All you are doing is sending Infamous your factory rom and some romraider logs, he analyses them and sends back a new image to flash to your car.

Laptop and usb cable connected to the tactrix under the dash and its done in seconds.

The only time intensive part is doing 3rd gear pulls (2000rpm to redline) which you record on your laptop connected to your ecu and romraider makes a log.

Redline in 3rd gear as you can imagine is pretty fast so play safe.

Car went like crazy after final tune. It used to let rip the back tyres sometimes lol.

I sold it back in late 2011 though.