Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subtech Downpipe Review

Scotte

KiwiJoe said:

Never mind. Just decided to give this a go (post-08 import, so a catted version should save me some hassle, and the price is right): http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/products/downpipe-3-hks-legacy-03-09

Nice, quite an unusual piece that - great price too, japanparts.com has it for $1500 or so (new though). Would be interested to hear what you think of it; I was thinking about grabbing it myself :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the downpipe put on 2004 gt 2 days ago man what a difference it has made .The sound wow especially around 4 k is loud and the car accelerates so much quicker aswell. The car sounds alot different to, much more aggressive sounding and drives much stronger if that makes sense was told it gained about 20 odd kw from the pipe also love the turbo noise best mod i have done so far. Would recommend it to anyone.

patooks said:

I had the downpipe put on 2004 gt 2 days ago man what a difference it has made .The sound wow especially around 4 k is loud and the car accelerates so much quicker aswell. The car sounds alot different to, much more aggressive sounding and drives much stronger if that makes sense was told it gained about 20 odd kw from the pipe also love the turbo noise best mod i have done so far. Would recommend it to anyone.

I found the sound was raspy ...even the Subtech guys are iffy about it. Chopped out the mid resonator and replaced with a AdrenlinR 300mm resonator sorted it out nice.

BP5Nut']

[quote name='KiwiJoe said:

Never mind. Just decided to give this a go (post-08 import, so a catted version should save me some hassle, and the price is right): url]http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/products/downpipe-3-hks-legacy-03-09[/url]

Nice, quite an unusual piece that - great price too, japanparts.com has it for $1500 or so (new though). Would be interested to hear what you think of it; I was thinking about grabbing it myself :)

I had this installed earlier this week along with a dyno tune reflash from Jon at Spec Performance here in Christchurch (over two days). Quite surprising the difference it makes. I can\'t fully judge how it sounds yet as it has a bit of an installation rattle that needs to be fixed (resonates against something it\'s touching slightly on the underbody at around 2000rpm) but wide open it\'s much, much louder and at idle adds quite a deep rumble. I was hoping for performance improvements without any obvious change in car sound to give away the difference, but as soon as the foot goes down it\'s clear something is up...

All sorted. Was the heat shield rubbing, so some cutting and welding and it was all fixed. Rattle gone, the car sounds great and goes like the clappers. Great guys to deal with, and really went out of their way to sort things out (nearly a three hour job: I rolled in through their doors at just before three in the afternoon). It\'s pretty nice having three different custom tunes to choose from thanks to SI Drive. Wouldn\'t hesitate to recommend Jon and the team at Spec Performance, or a new down pipe if anyone\'s hesitating.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, just went to jap race imports in Chch and they have an SRP 3" catless dp for $250 (subtech is around $560). It has a seperate wastegate pipe like the subtech so i was wondering if there would be any performance difference between the two?

Cheers

• 4 years later...
On 12/02/2012 at 5:54 PM, Scotte said:

Downlow on the Downpipe.

Yesterday Dave from A1 Exhaust in Glenfield (09 441 4635) put a high-flow cat converter into the end of the Subtech downpipe. The result is fantastic. The car is a lot quieter. It is louder than stock, but actually sounds really nice, much nicer than the stock sewing machine sound. The engine sounds deeper and there is a smooth whoosh when you put the power on. It just sounds fast, not loud. It also feels a bit smoother to drive. Nicer.

Its a win/win situation, I was noticing running a cat-less exhaust would be a bit smelly when you pulled into the garage. Un-catted exhaust smells terrible. No wonder - its full on lots of toxic gasses! Now the exhaust hardly smells, the cat converts most of it to CO2.

I reckon driving without cat converter is a bit of an up-your's to this planet we live on and considering how good some of the hi-flow ones are there no excuse to do it. If you're want to gut your car of cats think about it and realise exactly what you're doing - aggressively polluting the air quality, which if you live in Auckland is definitely an issue! There are so many car's belching out S*** in this city, its disgusting!

Dave did an excellent job. He used an Autobend Oval hi-flow cat and put it at the end of the downpipe before the flex-joint. Hence the second half is the exhaust is still factory. If ever necessary, for whatever reason the old downpipe can be refitted at any stage to return the to factory spec.

The cat actually sits in the exact position of the second cat on the factory pipe. Just after the second O2 sensor. The O2 sensor has gone back into the exact factory position as well.

I actually believe this is how the product should have been sold in the first place, or at least have a price option for it. It would make it more expensive, but i think some people would be willing to pay for it, just for the way better sound alone.

The overall result of this downpipe now is awesome, heaps of extra power with a nicer sound. The car is so much more driveable, especially when you are just cruising, it has so much more down low torque. If you've got one or thinking of getting one i would recommend the retro-fitted hi-flow cat.

Hey mate, just wanted to let you know that I got quite inspired by this post. I did the same - Subtech Downpipe, but I'll be putting in the high-flow cat, and then getting a road tune. Did you end up doing a tune on yours?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes I did get a tune on it too (I'm 'scotte', lost my login, must been linked to an old email address) and the tune really helped with the low end power too. Boost came on earlier and really helped match the engine to the downpipe. I used Torqe Performance but the guy who did has now started his own company: tunetechnic.co.nz.

I've still got the car actually, had it 9 years, can't bring my self to sell it and end up with something with way less power. Still drives great on the highway and still love driving it.

It did blow the engine in 2017, wasn't to do with the tune or downpipe. I had a real bad overheat driving to work one morning and didn't notice it straight away, went right up to just under the red for about 15 mins. It blew a heater hose and I think this weaken the block. It blew a 40mm hole in the side of the block when it went. Luckly it was just close to where my mechanic is and I got them to drop in a new engine for $4K.

Still got the downpipe and the original computer so still has the tune on it and it's matched up pretty well to the new engine -still has the good performance, especially noticeable when you're out on the highway.

Drove to Otrahonga and back a couple of weeks back and the new section of the Waikato Expressway is open, such a mint road, looks like the Autobahn, could get yourself into some trouble on that road.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas, kind of related...

I've currently got a Invidia Q300 CBE on my 2006 Spec B.

Looking at DPs and a tune from SAS Subaru CHC.

With the risk of sounding like a wuss I've always wanted a balance between power and comfort.

With a catless DP fitted how bad/loud/smelly do you reckon it would be?

Also looked at catted but can only find a grim speed catted DP @ MoonLightRacing for $1400.

Other options are Subtech or Possum Bourne castles for $600.

Also SAS quoted me @ $800-$900 for tune plus bout $170 something gst

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Admin

Noise and smell is fine, the car behind you might say otherwise but I've never had any smell in the cabin. I'm running the same catback but with a decatted DP and the noise is pretty tame until you open it up. It's a joy hopping into it after driving the overly noisy STI. 

Grimmspeed ones will be for some 2.5gt NZ new vehicles but does not fit a JDM vehicle. The only catted options really are JDM brands which usually come in a lot more expensive than that. If you want a catted one you’d be better off having an exhaust shop making one from scratch.

SAS are a good choice. Probably worth them chucking in a 3-port MAC valve too as it helps with boost control.

• Like 1