Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Toyo Proxes 4 or T1R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size are you talking about BC5? I just got a set of RE001s in 205/50/R16 about two months ago fitted and balanced for about $220 a corner, which matches your price more or less. The RE050As on the Legacy however were $450 or something horrible like that.

Oh, and I forgot to say: I replaced Proxes 4 with the RE001s. No contest. The Bridgestones are better in every respect.

215/45/17

I haven't bought myself a setp of brand new Bridgestone's for a long time.

Went from DZ101's that came with my wheel's to RE01R's after they wore out I put on G3's which was a bit of a shock.

DON'T GET THE PROXES4S :o

I can make them slide without trying. I drive an HX (Mmmmmm 135hp from stock) ::). That said...they lasted THREE years. Three years of no grip! If you have to go Toyo, go the T1-Rs.

I'm on RE001 Adrenalins right now...bloody splendid tyre, and reluctant to let go in the wet. Worth the coin!

The S03 is competition/equivalent for the 070s? In which case... HNNNNNNNNGH DO WANT.

From past mega-threads on the subject, your problems with the Proxes 4 stemmed from your poor driving skills and/or poor car setup.

No one else seems to have such massive problems with the Proxes 4.

:P

S03 and RE070 are both old hat now, RE001 is probably pretty close, unless you have the new generation RE070R.

Guest keltik

Proxes 4 gave me aids and killed my dog...but they did NOT have grip issues by any stretch.

Will try n post up a pic of the tread after one reasonably spirited track day...compared to my roadstones after 3, the outside and inside edges of the tread blocks are sheared off by about 2mm

^ You insult my driving skills, I insult your mother. Got it? :P

Of course, all the debate was done by people who have never seen me drive and never even seen my car in the flesh, which says plenty ;D

ANYWAY, CAT CLAWS ASIDE...

So what's new-hat in the Bridgestone world then - just the 001s and the 070Rs?

Hmm, if I'd known (thought to look!) that the RE001's were such a reasonable price, I may have gone that way. Stupid me though, I didn't even investigate them.

Oh well, it has Proxes 4 now. We'll see how they go this weekend.

I'm surprised at the RE001 pricing too.

When they first came out Subaru friendly sizes were $300+.

BC5RA said:

The S03 and RE070's are both Bridgestone's why would they create a tire within there own lineup to compete with another?

The two are quite different tyres.

S03 more a general purpose performance road tyre.

RE070 still a road tyre but with the focus on dry performance.

IIRC all the comments folks posted about Shale's Proxes misadventures were based on what Shale posted.

:P

The newest road tyre from BS is the RE11 (RE-01R replacement in overseas markets like USA), probably won't be seen here.

Toyo, Kuhmo, Dunlop, Goodyear, all have new high performance road tyres.

So far only the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric has been released in NZ.

Got my Proxes 4 on today. Coming from (now) worn potenza G3's the difference is obviously huge

First impressions: Grippy as hell. Soft sidewall which is plainly evident when pushing reasonably hard. Comfortable ride without sacrificing feel. Quiet. Prefer the stiffer firewall of the G3, But prefer this tyre overall so far.

Well, I've done almost 1000k's on the Toyo Proxes 4 this weekend. My impressions are mixed.

After dropping the tyre pressures from 36 to 34 pounds I found the grip to be pretty reasonable. They seemed quite progressive and were fine in the wet. My main concern with them is noise. I'm not sure they're any quieter then the old Direzza's were on the rough chip roads that are so popular on our state highways :(

Fastfour']

[quote name='RSB said:

Quiet.

/quote]

after a few hundred more kms, Its time to re-evaluate.

Noise: Quieter on chipseal than the Potenza G3 and Quieter on grooved asphalt, But louder on plain asphalt.

I got a set of 215/45R17 RE001's fitted and balanced (albeit a lazy as balancing job) about 3 weeks ago for $750 inc GST ($187 per corner). That was at the local firestone place too. Got a good deal cause we got my dad some RE001's there a couple weeks before that.

and how do you find them?

I'm considering buying a set and trying those. I just didn't find the Proxes 4 quiet enough.

... and for that kind of price, I can't see I'd lose much in the process :)

Very very good so far, but haven't had a chance to go for a good drive on them yet, need an alignment after getting the car lowered first, and of course some petrol would help :P

On the edge of grip they are very easy to manage too, they just keep on gripping... the NS2's would just lose it.

But yeah, coming from NS2's to the RE001's was QUITE an improvement.

Guest keltik

Ive found with the Proxes 4 you can feel the tyres flexing and shitting themselves before they break loose. My old Roadstones would just squeel then slide with relatively little feedback