Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

laptop cord for subarus OBD I and OBD II soulutions

sickmatesick

ive heard that you can get a plug that goes into the yellow connector under the steering wheel, which then connects to your laptop and you can see everything your engine is doing with a downloaded program.

Does anyone know who sells the cable and roughly how much it is?

Be prepared to wait though, this guy can take weeks to answer emails or send you anything after paying. Software is also relatively useless for cars he hasn't found definition files for yet.. although he'd be very keen to get any off of you if you have some/figure them out. It's mostly limited to newer models who's definition files have been documented on other forums

If you make the rs232 cable it will work straigh off with the ssm software mentioned, if you buy a twenty something dollar FTDI usb to serial adaptor you can then use it with evoscan as well. The RS232 adaptor parts only cost a few bucks so if you make that and buy the adaptor you can use both software and also use either serial or usb port, which is handy if you have an old laptop for the workshop.

I have put all the addresses from the ssm software(plus some others) into a data file for the evoscan if anyone wants it.

The Evoscan software is leaps and bounds ahead of everyon elses!

Ok, the data file is here..

http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

If you download it and put it into the place of the old data file in the "data Settings" folder in the evoscan program it will give you a lot more models to choose form. You can rename the old data file to data.old if you want to retain it.

If you connect to evoscan and your ecu number isn't in the list I can help you try and discover the ecu addresses for your car if you are willing to carry out a series of data logs using the ssm software. First we will do some random scans looking for the right type of data, then once we know where we should look we will do another scan or three to discover which address has which bit of information in it. It's not the most scientific method out there but it works.

Guest lan_killa

I just finished building one up as on the www.vwrx.com site today... works fine, but if your getting data from all sensors it is very slow... if you limit your self to 3 or 4 sensors it gives a far more accurate read out, limit your self to 1 sensor and its more or less realtime.

I might try and get ahold of the evoscan stuff and give it a wirl, but will it work with my custom cable???

NOTE: the adaptor/convertor is actually a Serial TTL to Serial RS232 Converter and can be bought commercially

See: http://www.blackboxnz.co.nz/PRODUCT.cfm?PARTNUMBER=IC1157A

$70 and will need to provide own cables for the ends but will work just as well as the diagrams on the VWRX site

the vwrx stuff is fun to play around with. as you said, its slow but thats the limit of the ecu not the software afaik.

i dont see why the ttl -> rs232 -> usb wont work with the evoscan.. theres not much else happening.

im keen to buy the software and try if he sells it separate to the cables. the graphing looks very interesting

The speed is limited by the serial port with the ssm scanner, the evoscan using the usb is much faster.

I have a legite copy of evoscan and the responce to my emais was fine... a few hours.

I have seen evoscan as a torrent....

They are both slow as far as real-time goes. If you just want to look at gauges just buy a set of gauges.

What these scanners are good for is logging data and then seeing what is happening in there as it is faulting. As with the trouble codes though, the results need interperating.

You need to know how the various sensors and actuators interact, then you need to scan the appropriate addresses and only the addresses that you need only to get accurate figures.

Guest lan_killa

yes, the speed is a limitation of serial communication... as serial only allows 1 thing to be sent at a time... the VWRX stuff is quite handy as it has a tool with it to scan the addresses and spit out the values returned from them so you can make and informed guess as to what sensor/output/etc the address relates to...

I might grab a torrent of the evoscan stuff... if its any good i will go and pay for it... Next mission is to get a mini-ITX PC builtup and mounted under the drivers seat and a 4" LCD in the dash... will proove useful for Logging/MP3s/movies... maybe a bit of War Driving (WiFi hotspot seeking for the non IT minded)

"yes, the speed is a limitation of serial communication... as serial only allows 1 thing to be sent at a time... the VWRX stuff is quite handy as it has a tool with it to scan the addresses and spit out the values returned from them so you can make and informed guess as to what sensor/output/etc the address relates to..."

Exactly so Killa. Use the ssm dump to find the right sort of info, then log some runs of the suspected addresses(judgd by their behaviour), which can be analysed and tested as to which data is which... It's simple... sort of.

Oh, another thing about building your own rs232 adaptor... Keep the wires between the yellow subaru plug and your 232 chip short, three hundred mill is ok, then from there you can run a long lead to the serial port or adaptor. If the wires from subaru to 232 are too long you can get interferance and lost bits/bytes.

The modified data code is likely to have something that will work though straight off.

Guest lan_killa

agreed... have the adaptor cable tied up under the dash near the plug its self, and then have a 1 meter 9 pin serial cable off of that...

The guy that wrote the program is using a 95 WRX STI ECU... Ive got a 94 WRX (non-STI) so have told the program to use the profile for the 95 STI... I beleive some values arent correct, but most are working fine, will start probing into it further over the weekend

Oh ok Killa, then the difference between the two ecus will be that his is 75xxxx and yours will be 74xxxx. So what is your ecu's id number? I presume that must be what Hamish calles ssmii in the data file? Do you know? I'l change my data file name to a id number if I can find out.

The first digit is always a 7, the next digit is the year, next two digitsts are a model number, next one is a country/market indicator and the last one is the revision number of the software.

There are lists out there with specifications of model and market codes.

By the sound of it, if you could find an ecu id where the third, fourth and fith digits are a match it would work for yours.

Guest lan_killa

Will have to grab the laptop from the car to see what ecu ive got, but yes it is a 74xxxx i remember that much i think the rest of the numbers are different too as im non-STI and Jap Import, but i just chucked my model code in the ini file instead of the one he had there and just used the addresses he had already setup for his 95 STI on my 94 non-STI... Im still working with the VWRX software at this stage, will hopefully have a crack with the evoscan stuff over the weekend

Yes I imagine it would be the normal case of V1/2 are compatiable with each other as are V3/4... I wouldnt mind seeing this setup and running on other peoples cars in NZ it is very easy and cheap to do

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hey any one know where i can buy a OBD 1 code reader that can wipe codes so the cel doesn't come on again I saw one on trade me that you plug into your laptop but it was OBDll it did 0 to 60 times and showed coolan't temp ect :)

you mean like sensor delete ? say you have a code for boost solenoid open circuit and you want to delete that fault code ? pretty sure that's only able to do via obd2 in ver7 plus . . what code and what car you got ?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was wondering the same thing so i asked him, apparently it will read codes and current data but he is unsure about the writing to ECU.

Although he does say it can be used to make adjustments to ECU...

• 2 months later...

I bought the special cable & Evoscan software from Hamish, but haven\'t been able to get it to work.

I use a Mac day to day and so have limited patience or attention span when it comes to troubleshooting software running on a Windows laptop.

Is there anyone here who lives within 200km of Hamilton with Windows & Evoscan experience willing to have a go at getting mine up and running ?

Happy to pay cash for you to have a go with further bonus if you\'re successful.

Best to PM me as well as posting here, as I don\'t come here often.

cheers, Shane