Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 and above tuning

mattapo

Just though I would let you know what I have been doing lately, I'll update this as I do more as well.

Using Romraider there is a new Rom in development called the Carberry rom. This is a hacked group N rom for use on 16 bit ecu's. this uses speed density instead of MAF so more airflow meter.

I can also do cool things like anti lag, no lift to shift and launch control.

So far I only have launch control running, man is spark cut launch control cool

[ur]http://"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80yMZDlo9w[/url]

Now have it dialled in nicely, 1.3 bar builds up and all 4 are toast at 4.5rpm setting

The drive ability is so much better than standard, smoother, responsive, everything is better.

If you can do this I would do, its awesome.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tuned a v7 with all the bits in it over xmas using rom raider and changed it to speed density i didnt use the meantioned new rom just took awhile to get the correction fact right and take it out of closed loop idle was a tad high but as meantioned drives nice made 250kw wheel, cant complain for free software.

you need a tatrix cable, about $180 and a laptop, it borrows inputs, e.g. to turn launch control on i press the rear defog button.

It uses the air temp sensor in the arm or you can do what i did and fit a sensor to the intercooler. it lets you change the scaling so you can use any sensor for that. (on the V7 anyway)

Logging yes you need a laptop but when plugged in you use the decor button to turn logging on and off.

launch control turns off over 2mph (or whatever you set it to)

its still being developed and features keep getting added. they are working on rotational idle at the moment.

oh yea it flashes the engine check light if it detects knock, you can change how sensitive this is.

Current Features Include(Includes Group-N Features)

-Speed Density

-Rally Style Anti-Lag

-2Step Launch Control

-Per Gear Wastegate and Boost Target control

-Anti-Lag enabled/disabled via user defined switch

-Launch Control enabled/disabled via user defined switch

-Mode byte replaced with individual switches

-Flash CEL in the event of knock w/DTC functionality

-Fuel Pump Duty Control

-Map Switching

-Launch Control Static Fuel/Timing (Aggressive Launch Control)

-Positive/Negative MAP Sensor Offsets for aftermarket MAP sensors

-No Lift to Shift (Requires slight wiring modification)

-Cut X from Y for Launch Control and NLTS

-Spark cut Launch Control

-Increased Load Cap to a Max of 8.0g/rev

-IAM and FLKC Functionality w/New IAM calculation method

-Rotational Idle

-Target Boost Cap Increased to 64psig

-Knock Mode Indicator

-Force Pass Readiness

-Wastegate Duty Cap

-Force Full Time Open Loop

-OverBoost Fuel Cut

Future Features Include

-Flex fuel sensor capability

-Use of TGV sensor input as alternate sensor data logging

-TGV functionality

Verified ECU Compatibility

-Although this ROM should work with any ECU that uses the wrx02 flash method, this is a list of tested and verified compatibility.

USDM 02-03 WRX

EDM 01-05 WRX

EDM 03 STI

ADM 01-02 WRX

JDM 02-04 WRX

JDM 02-04 STI

JDM 01-02 STI

I have setup a switch to connect the green connecter as you have to do this to flash. We flash on the move now.

• 3 months later...

who else here uses romraider? Iv'e been detuning myself ;D my rom was running abit aggresively before. I havn't looked at the carberry rom, but have pushed my avcs to the left and trimmed fuel tables so it's not so pig rich.

I'm surprised alot of our local tuners arn't using romraider also, nor is there alot of local knowledge about flashing our oem ecu's, they are seem to be ??? :o when I mention it's possible.

• 4 weeks later...
 wootwoot said:

definitely interesting reading these posts, i have a 01 v7, and am looking at getting a wideband at this stage, an getting a tune for the ecu , sounds like its a good advantage to the car :D

Definitely worth getting a tune for it as the ecu does pull quite a large amount of timing to compensate for 95 or 98 fuel here. The biggest change I noticed with mine is the huge increase in low down torque over factory.

When my car was originall "tuned" and i paid hundreds of dollars for, When I brought my cable and downloaded the rom, it was identical to stock, except for a few warning lights turned off, and my boost tap was turned up. ::)

I was pulling fuel all over the place, not to mention this was after a new motor swap, new turbo, new injectors, new pump etc, and none of that was compensated for...

Now my iv'e retuned myself, with some guidance from another tuner, and haulin ass even more.. ;D closed/open loop i think took me like a couple of weeks of driving to dial in.

Disruptz said:

When my car was originall "tuned" and i paid hundreds of dollars for, When I brought my cable and downloaded the rom, it was identical to stock, except for a few warning lights turned off, and my boost tap was turned up. ::)

I was pulling fuel all over the place, not to mention this was after a new motor swap, new turbo, new injectors, new pump etc, and none of that was compensated for...

Now my iv'e retuned myself, with some guidance from another tuner, and haulin ass even more.. ;D closed/open loop i think took me like a couple of weeks of driving to dial in.

Who tuned it?

• 2 weeks later...

yea good gains to be had if u tweak it nicely

i think im on like my few hundred th reversion lol

power stuff all pretty much im happy with

now toying with even lower fuel usage in the lower load regions

• 3 weeks later...

quick question.. when you guys were tunning your cars.. i have my 01 v7 sti, and engine is completely standard apart from bov..

running 15psi factory, planning to upto 18.. do i need a boost controller or should i be able to scrape by alright without one??.

just looking at pricing up the cable, plug, an wideband atm..

factory standard does 18psi wootwoot

if u have an exhaust it can spike a bit to say 20-21 and then settles down

so question is why is your running 15 psi??

incorrect gauge perhaps (lets start with that... replace gauge and re check)

wootwoot said:

quick question.. when you guys were tunning your cars.. i have my 01 v7 sti, and engine is completely standard apart from bov..

running 15psi factory, planning to upto 18.. do i need a boost controller or should i be able to scrape by alright without one??.

factory solenoid efficient, the spikes etc that people experience, you can smooth that out through tuning. Boost tap will help spool and help hold it, but not neccesary. If you plan on buying one, look into the 3 ports.

Disruptz']

[quote name='wootwoot said:

/quote]

factory solenoid efficient, the spikes etc that people experience, you can smooth that out through tuning. Boost tap will help spool and help hold it, but not neccesary. If you plan on buying one, look into the 3 ports.

From the testing done in Performance imports the grimmepeed 3 port had no clear discernible difference over the 2 port on a Subaru what so ever the key is to change the actuator to something like the one from AVO which will help stabilise things.

Have heard the factory actuators only have 7 or 8 psi springs which should help you run double that boost comfortably but anything over would cause spikes and tapering off in the higher rev range...

Just what I read from testing from Martin Donnon

• Joker unpinned this topic